• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Getting steel BMW keys cut?

basketcase

What's that noise...?
Strictly speaking, this question could apply to any model BMW, but since I ride a K, I've posted it here.

I need to have an extra key cut for the K, and found out after getting a blank from the dealer that they must be cut on a special machine. Namely, a machine that can cut steel keys.

A local locksmith did a lot of gesticulating and hop-dancing, and whining about his cutting blades, but finally cut it on the condition that I not hold him responsible if the key did not work.

Getting it home, it seems to have a burr -- meaning that I can insert it in the lock, and it works, but is a bear to get out. (I tried it on a saddle bag, and have yet to risk the ignition switch).

So what recommendations can any of you offer on getting extra keys cut? Apparently, this steel key business is not as simple as it would seem.

Thanks, as always.

yes, virginia. when we reorganize around here, we need a general tech forum for general type questions!

You need to find a better locksmith, Rick. I've had them cut without a problem, but I had to look around a bit to find a place that would reliably do it for me.

Can you file the burr off the key yourself?

and yeah, maybe we do need a general tech forum

Can your dealer cut the blank? I needed a replacement for a key I had lost on a trip. The dealer looked up my key code in his files ( I had my car that day) and had a new one made in a couple of minutes.

kbasa's right. cruise/call around to a different locksmith until you find one that doesnt make such a fuss. ive had many steel keys cut over the years, and the place i go, they cut them, but the guy always says, 'im not sure how this will work out for you.' and i say, 'take your time, do the best you can' and then i wander around his shop. i go to a little place that seems to be pretty slow, so the guy doesnt feel rushed. they always take a little longer than for a normal key, but they do a good job.

you can take your key back to the guy and get the burr removed - all he should have to do is touch it up on his wirewheel/polisher thingy, and youll be good to go.

"we can put a man on the moon, but i hope he doesnt need a steel key for the lunar rover." - Anon.

1flyer said:
Can your dealer cut the blank? I needed a replacement for a key I had lost on a trip. The dealer looked up my key code in his files ( I had my car that day) and had a new one made in a couple of minutes.

Bill, how long ago was this? Just a heads up. Dealers aren't supposed to do this any more, and won't unless they know you VERY well. I needed a new seat lock mechanism for my F and having my key code, on the original key, wasn't enough for BMW-NA. I had to have the dealer fax a copy of my BMW-FS statement and a copy of my Registration to get the keyed-alike lock mechanism. I guess it's about theft but be prepared to prove your ownership to get a key from a code these days. And yes, my dealer knows me VERY well. Still didn't matter, BMW wouldn't ship the part without verification. Getting a key made AT a dealer might be a little different, but I was told it was required now.

It was back around August or September. The dealer certainly knows me and my bike. There was no shipping of anything from BMWNA involved. Or, if there was, it was done at light speed. The only difference I noticed was the rubber covering had a hole in it unlike the original.

1flyer said:
It was back around August or September. The dealer certainly knows me and my bike. There was no shipping of anything from BMWNA involved. Or, if there was, it was done at light speed. The only difference I noticed was the rubber covering had a hole in it unlike the original.

So then I guess your dealer cut the key on a new OEM blank. Must be part locksmith cause most dealers can't cut a key from another key, much less from a key-code.:confused:

BMW keys

I got the blank at the BMW dealer and he recommened a locksmith, about a $1 or $2 a key.

Had mine done at a ACE Hardwear store. The guy took plenty of time, and didn't even charge me. I had copies made on the spare key blanks and black one, not sure what they are made out of. Keys worked fine, except for the one that didn't even fit into my saddlebags, had to return that to the dealer. I'm not sure what bike that went to, it was a black BMW key, more plastic than rubberized.

Back