• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Regional Rallies vs. National Rally

Has there been any talk of having regional rallies instead of one big mambo national rally?

:lurk

There are TONS of regional rallies, as well as the National. You get it both ways!

(I know what you're asking, but why would the MOA want to compete with the local, chartered clubs? Seems mighty counterproductive.)

Has there been any talk of having regional rallies instead of one big mambo national rally?:lurk

I've suggested a East/West or North/South split with the rallies about a month or two apart and it went over like a lead balloon. Such a split would have addressed the two largest problems keeping people from attending. The distance to get to the rally (according to a poll currently going on) and finding suitable places that can handle the number of attendees. Each would be about three times larger than the next largest BMW rally and it would allow diehards to attend two rallies instead of one.

National Rallys

As this Club gets bigger and the members went more and more from the rally sites. We will have to start looking for and booking Rally sites three or more years out.
The second thing, There will be a smaller list of rally sites to pick from. Many large clubs now rotate around four or five sites only. ( I do not think that is what the membership is looking for..)
For Me as a new member, I will be going to the National Rally in Wy. ( PS. I will have a good time, come rain or shine and if I tent it- sleep in a motel or drive to save money. It is my trip to plan. I did not sign up for a total package tour)

Signed Jarett Coulter 1-888-535-6736
Riding a BMW 1996 R1100RT ( rebuilt by Owner/Rider)

There are TONS of regional rallies, as well as the National. You get it both ways!

(I know what you're asking, but why would the MOA want to compete with the local, chartered clubs? Seems mighty counterproductive.)

Pretty much my take. For example, we've got rallies like the Finger Lakes, the 49er, the GA Mtn. Rally, Top of the Rockies and so forth. We don't want to compete with the clubs.

For Me as a new member, I will be going to the National Rally in Wy. ( PS. I will have a good time, come rain or shine and if I tent it- sleep in a motel or drive to save money. It is my trip to plan. I did not sign up for a total package tour)

Signed Jarett Coulter )

Yea, Jarett!! Sounds like you're coming with a great attitude, and WILL HAVE FUN! I'm sure it won't be your last.

Hey, can we get a cowboy/girl smilie???

I've suggested a East/West or North/South split with the rallies about a month or two apart and it went over like a lead balloon. Such a split would have addressed the two largest problems keeping people from attending. The distance to get to the rally (according to a poll currently going on) and finding suitable places that can handle the number of attendees. Each would be about three times larger than the next largest BMW rally and it would allow diehards to attend two rallies instead of one.

OsbornK(wish I knew names;)

The primary problem with having 2 major rallies a month or two apart is the volunteer base. It takes many dedicated volunteers (we have 90 chairs/co-chairs) right now, and that's only the tip of the iceberg. Members volunteer countless hours to insure our rallies are a success. I'm not sure the volunteer base could handle two major events in a short period of time.

Last edited:
OsbornK(wish I knew names;)

The primary problem with having 2 major rallies a month or two apart is the volunteer base. It takes many dedicated volunteers (we have 90 chairs/co-chairs) right now, and that's only the tip of the iceberg. Members volunteer countless hours to insure our rallies are a success. I'm not sure the volunteer base could handle two major events in a short period of time.

I can understand your concern regarding volunteers. However, with the number of members we have, I would think we would have a sufficient number to handle two rallies. Other clubs that have far fewer than half of our membership manage to pull off successful rallies. Is our percentage of participation that much less than other clubs?

Many of us who have not volunteered would do so if a rally was reasonably close to where we are located and were asked to do so. There will be fewer volunteers when a rally is located where there are not a lot members. Maybe member participitation should be a consideration if a decision was ever made to have 2 smaller but still large rallies instead of one hugh one. Maybe a question such as "Will you commit to help with a rally if it is within (?) miles of your home?"

I know there are other problems but I do think it is worthy of consideration. When I went to work for the company I retired from in 1971, we had an annual convention where the whole family was invited. As the number of employees grew, it became increasingly difficult to find a location that could handle us all (the location had to be in the state I worked in). The choices became fewer and fewer and the lines got longer and longer. Once a suitable location could no longer be found that met all of the "set in stone" requirements, conventions were discontinued rather than have a split convention.

Here's something to think about.
More and more people are opting out of camping and looking for a motel. The term National Convention is being used with National Rally. It's getting harder and harder to find a good camping site with a few thousand motel rooms in the near area.
So - Why not have a Convention geared toward motels/hotels on one coast and a camping national on the other. Next year swap venues, that should keep everyone happy.

PS: I'm a camper and never have a problem sleeping because I travel with an exclusive club -- Canadian Club :drink

regional vs national......multiple nationals

As Karol has pointed out, and I have mentioned many times before, our International Rally is driven by and staffed by volunteeers. Members taking a part of their vacation to WORK to help ensure the success of the Rally.

While some people seem to suggest that we have an abundance of volunteers every year, that is never the case. We can usually cover the personnel requirements, but there is usually a shortage in certain key committee staffing at some time before, during or after the event. We have taken to paying overnight gate security and on site security because we didn't want to ask our members to stay up all night working. There are many others areas affected as well.

Many of the other clubs who also hold annual events are staffed by paid employees, not volunteer members of that club. The event pricing reflects that reality. Google the Honda Hoot and check out the event admission price. Look at what you get for that price. Then check out the ala carte pricing for participating in the various activities at the Hoot. Oh yes, the entertainment is also extra and the beer and food is expensive. What is the price for secure camping? Priceless, since there isn't any offered.

This is not to belittle the Hoot in any fashion. It is a very successful event beloved by their attendees.....but it is not our event.

We could have multiple International Rallies per year in divergent locations, but not for $35.00 per person and not with the same impact as our current rotating single large volunteer driven event.

Friedle
speaking from a wee bit of experience

To add to Michael's post...the managing staff at the Honda Hoot are all paid employees. The rally is at the same location every year and is basically a 9:00 am - 6:00 pm event covering a four day period. Having attended the Hoot I can tell you "It's not your typical BMW MOA rally". You hang with your travelling friends or maybe those that you meet at the motel. There is not any of the "meeting my friends at the rally". Lots of vendors and a good event...just not most BMW rider's cup of tea. Oh yeh, cost of attending for three days is a lot more than our fee.

It has been suggested in the past (more than once) that MOA host multiple events in place of the one big event. But, with a limited volunteer base (yes, believe it or not, not that many people are willing to give a weeks vacation to help with an event, let a lone spend a year planning the event) it is not practical at this time.

And for those wanting a winter event (Jan or Feb) hang in there, it's coming. Those attending the Jan board meeting heard the Rally and Event Committee report...a winter event plus other events are in the works. Take a chill pill folks, things are going to happen and we're going to like'em.

It has been suggested in the past (more than once) that MOA host multiple events in place of the one big event. But, with a limited volunteer base (yes, believe it or not, not that many people are willing to give a weeks vacation to help with an event, let a lone spend a year planning the event) it is not practical at this time.

I am one of the rebels who has been suggesting a split rally for years. When members are asked or a poll is taken, the most frequent reason members give for not going to the rally is location. It is not because it is a bad location or doesn't have what members want but it is the time and expense of getting to and from the rally. I think the MOA has outgrown a single rally because of the difficulty of finding locations that can handle the number of attendees with the facilities and other things needed. I have seen many reasons given why a split rally can't and won't be attempted but the most frequent one is the lack of volunteers.

I belong to two volunteer civic organizations and about 10% of the membership does the work and the other 90% are along for the ride. I think a club the size of the MOA has enough members to handle 2 rallies if the membership is asked properly and there is a benefit for volunteering.

As I understand it, there have been many locations throughout the country that have been considered but have been rejected because they couldn't handle the number of people expected to attend. Perhaps we could pick a couple of the rejected places (north/south or east/west) that could not handle the number of projected attendees and ask for volunteers that live within a reasonable distance of the proposed places. It needs to be more personal than a general call for volunteering. An e-mail or letter to appropriate members with an answer expected would be more effective. Make it clear that the proposed rally location near them will be considered only if they will commit to helping with the rally beyond simply helping at the rally. The request for volunteers needs to be more than the general request for volunteers. It needs to be more in the line of "will you assist on the X---X committee. Many of our members retired from or currently in positions where we arranged for or assisted in holding seminars, conventions, large meetings, etc. would be good prospects to take a larger role in planning and handling a rally.

Some of us have not volunteered to help prior to the rally for several reasons. Some of us don't feel we would not be very helpful with a rally that is thousands of miles from where we live and we will not be able to attend. Some of us feel intimidated by the sheer size of the rally and the current volunteers handling it. We feel powerless when so many suggestions are quickly brushed off and not give a fair hearing. We get the feeling that it is "This is the way we have always done it and we're not going to change it so shut up".

There are three of us members nearby that are retired and would assist with a rally if was relatively near us. A nearby rally would be our reward for helping. Part of the reason for few volunteers is because some rallies are not near a large number of our membership and members who don't have a local connection to the rally location don't volunteer.

Ken

Back