• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Photo Assignment: Weekend 01/05/08

Tom got that it was a final drive bearing - the failure prone large ball bearing to be exact. And in the earliest stages of failure with cracking and spalling in the race. The damage is faintly but clearly visible in the photograph - as somewhat squiggly white lines at about the 11:30 position of the bearing race - above the two balls. I couldn't make the damage show with available light so used the flash to illuminate the recesses in the bearing.

Feedback IV

93221479_19730769e6_b.jpg

Burnzilla's submission this week certainly garnered a lot commentary and deservedly so. This is a compelling shot of an unusual (to me) subject. The shot has an overall softness and I can't quite pinpoint why. I can't quite find the point of focus: tail? nose? eye? It might be slight motion blur, but it's hard to assess. It is--without a doubt--a great shot. The camera he uses is a truly pocket-sized camera that's very affordable. It's remarkable what good pictures it takes. I had a visitor over the holidays that purchased one on my recommendation and loves it, too.

I won't repost the butterfly shot, because the comments would be nearly identical. Great shot, a bit soft. The color is disappointing, but that probably has to do with the subdued light that it appears to have been shot in.

240188357-L.jpg

In spite of his woeful remonstrance to having nothing, this is actually a photo of some merit, albeit of an ordinary subject. It's beautifully lit. Flash? It's bright, sharp, clear, well-defined. I'm guessing flash because the brightness on the hand/subject throws the background into near blackness. Very effective. 50 points for being funny and for submitting anyway. This group, as a whole, is good about that.

P1060036.jpg

Rapid_Roy snuck in with some real stunners this week. I LOVE this one. This is album cover art. Really moody, really nicely lit. Mysterious, evocative. . . . It's just a great shot, man. I have no idea what it is, but I really want to just look at it.

The next several shots are very similar in mood and equally effective, more or less.

P1060054.jpg

Roy, himself, commented on how much he liked this shot, and I do, too. At first blush I thought it was a belt-buckle, but now, of course, I can see that it's a rally pin. All of ours are cloisnne. This is nice. The background has a bit of dust or lint. I get this a lot in my close-ups. Really have to pay attention to detail when you throw something under the microscope. The DoF here really accentuates the RT and it almost leaps out of the photo. Roy could have shot this from directly above, and everything would have been in focus, and the result would have been far less dramatic. Notice that the DoF is sufficient to make out where the pin comes from. I can see why you like this so much.

242040398-L.jpg

Gil, your image is too late, but how am I going to say no? I agree with Wezul's assessment. This is an especially nice shot and motorcycle related, to boot. Beautiful exposure, great DoF, and really nice highlights on the Indian emblem.

That's it, folks. Great week and some really nice photography. Feel free to follow up with comments or questions.

Last edited:
I thought there were some awesome pictures this week from everybody. Close up is cool! :thumb

Thank you for the kind reviews Tom. I really appreciate them and your contributions of time for all of this An hour and a half of snapping pictures Sunday night and my son helping, and I liked about 8. The pin is on green velvet, I didn't see any lint, it might be the material. I will look closer. That also may be the black and white version, exif is still a mystery to me. With a pewter pin and that light, it's hard to tell.

Thank YOU Roy, and I agree, nice stuff this week.

EXIF data is simply your camera recording information such as your camera make and model, the ISO, shutter speed and aperture, if the flash fired, etc. This data is displayed in a number of places. In my smugmug account (photo sharing website) there is an exif link to each of my photos. In my organizing software, LightRoom, the exif data is also visible. Basically it's just information in the form of metadata.

I remember a Van Halen Album that had their logo in stainless steel round pipe. Found this on the web.

240433970-M.jpg

Here's the subject of all three photos I posted. It is a clock at the Clock Museum in Chaux de Fonds, Switzerland. It's existence pointed out to me by Lamble in the in between photo chatter on this thread. I've been to Chaux de Fonds about 10 times in the past three years to watch my son play hockey. The museum is a 10 minute walk from the rink. At the quarter hour, the colored panels begin to move in synch. There are speakers around the clock and a "heartbeat" drum session begins. Then the chimes start up. These are evident in the last picture, good eyes SNC! Anyway, it's a different sound, every time......... how's that for a pun. I apologize for the homeless guy in the foreground.

240247843-L.jpg

Stop posting I want to go to sleep and it is one in the morning here. You guys will not shut up. Didn't your parents ever teach you to leave sleeping Dawgs lie ? :stick Oh thanks for the review. But it is tough taking pictures with a human camera.

I couldn't sleep last night either. I kept hearing a dawg barking :stick
(and a owl)

I remember a Van Halen Album that had their logo in stainless steel round pipe. Found this on the web.

240433970-M.jpg

Here's the subject of all three photos I posted. It is a clock at the Clock Museum in Chaux de Fonds, Switzerland. It's existence pointed out to me by Lamble in the in between photo chatter on this thread. I've been to Chaux de Fonds about 10 times in the past three years to watch my son play hockey. The museum is a 10 minute walk from the rink. At the quarter hour, the colored panels begin to move in synch. There are speakers around the clock and a "heartbeat" drum session begins. Then the chimes start up. These are evident in the last picture, good eyes SNC! Anyway, it's a different sound, every time......... how's that for a pun. I apologize for the homeless guy in the foreground.

240247843-L.jpg

Inbetween chimes, the clock all folds down into a little red pocket knife size...clever these Swiss!

Inbetween chimes, the clock all folds down into a little red pocket knife size...clever these Swiss!
I am not at all impressed, unless there is also a screwdriver, a file, a tweezers, a tooth pick, and a scissors. Then I would be impressed. :laugh

Back