• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Photo Assignment: Weekend 01/05/08

I liked this one too.
P1060039.jpg

Rocketman, it's got to be a valve head or a tappet hasn't it?
Which and on what part of the bike (engine pressumably) I can't tell from the shot or number.

it doesn't HAVE to be anything, does it? It COULD be nothing (though its not), remember this is supposed to be a close up so its probably not a piston or a freight train..

it could be un-side down or upside out, (but its not) can't be a valve face since they are perfectly flat and this obviously isn't

Can't be the valve seat side since the end of the valve stem in the center would be out of focus and there is no valve seat....(and its not a football either, if that helps:laugh ).

as for not being able to tell if it IS a tappet, isn't that the other bonus point value?( i.e. being not easily recognizable)

multiple guesses don't count (new rule I just made up! Ha Ha!)

you need to say with certainty what it is (second new rule I just made up:bolt )

but keep trying,,,, the truth will be reveled (or not.....:dunno )

RM

Well since no one else is going to venture a guess I recon I'll let the cat out of the bag...

Lamble is in fact right, ( I was just funnin' with ya to see if anyone else would step up and say, With Certainty that in fact iT was!) :laugh its a valve tappet, lifter, shim, what-have-you (I've heard it refered to by several different names) from my 99 LT after the valve adjustment we did recently.
Note that I never said directly that it WASN"T, just never confrimed it WAS!

RM :bolt

Well since no one else is going to venture a guess I recon I'll let the cat out of the bag...

Lamble is in fact right, ( I was just funnin' with ya to see if anyone else would step up and say, With Certainty that in fact iT was!) :laugh its a valve tappet, lifter, shim, what-have-you (I've heard it refered to by several different names) from my 99 LT after the valve adjustment we did recently.
Note that I never said directly that it WASN"T, just never confrimed it WAS!

RM :bolt

Oooh, you are going to get such a beating. . . .:fight

RM, I knew it all along.
My only concern about my observation was with it being a 99LT. If you look very closely at the valve head, you can tell from the lathed grooves that the valve itself was made at least 6 months prior to 99. I'd venture so far as to say it was a Wednesday in mid March 98. Kurt Stanzielmeister, the valve head lather, has a very distictive swirl, but he was moved to sub frame welding in September 98, so it has to be proir to this and the June finger slicing injury that caused the move (it also ruined his saxophony playing career as G sharp was no longer viable, although opening jam jars became easier for him, strangely).

I hope you wasted as much time reading this rubbish, as I did rethinking what it could be. RM, there's a squirrel with your name on it!

Is this a Photo Thread or a Chat Room ?

it is often a little of both and from where I sit its all good judging from the way these threads have fostered some fun and interesting photos.....

RM

Last edited:
RM, I knew it all along.
My only concern about my observation was with it being a 99LT. If you look very closely at the valve head, you can tell from the lathed grooves that the valve itself was made at least 6 months prior to 99. I'd venture so far as to say it was a Wednesday in mid March 98. Kurt Stanzielmeister, the valve head lather, has a very distictive swirl, but he was moved to sub frame welding in September 98, so it has to be proir to this and the June finger slicing injury that caused the move (it also ruined his saxophony playing career as G sharp was no longer viable, although opening jam jars became easier for him, strangely).

I hope you wasted as much time reading this rubbish, as I did rethinking what it could be. RM, there's a squirrel with your name on it!

it was actually the Tuesday prior, but you were very close!:laugh

RM

Is this a Photo Thread or a Chat Room ?

This is a reasonable question, one that was posed to me recently in a PM by at least one other frequent contributor.

Some of us are having a bit of fun joking around in this thread (I'm as bad as any of us). And I'm sure that this sort of humor or goofing around is not to everyone's taste. Now I know, "If you don't like it, don't look," but we've got a nice thing going here and I, for one, would like to please as many of the people as much of the time as possible.

May I ask just a bit of patience? It seems that a Photo Forum is going to happen. When it does, we'll be able to start up multiple threads. Some can be for photos only--no comments. Others can be for general silliness. Some can be strictly bike-related, and others for more general photo stuff. I believe firmly that--with this group--things will fall nicely into place.

Right now we're all crowded into a rather small apartment. We'll be moving soon. I've been hesitant to start up any additional threads as I don't want to crowd "Campfire" (if that's even possible).

Hang in there. It's all going to be good.

This is a reasonable question, one that was posed to me recently in a PM by at least one other frequent contributor.

Some of us are having a bit of fun joking around in this thread (I'm as bad as any of us). And I'm sure that this sort of humor or goofing around is not to everyone's taste. Now I know, "If you don't like it, don't look," but we've got a nice thing going here and I, for one, would like to please as many of the people as much of the time as possible.

May I ask just a bit of patience? It seems that a Photo Forum is going to happen. When it does, we'll be able to start up multiple threads. Some can be for photos only--no comments. Others can be for general silliness. Some can be strictly bike-related, and others for more general photo stuff. I believe firmly that--with this group--things will fall nicely into place.

Right now we're all crowded into a rather small apartment. We'll be moving soon. I've been hesitant to start up any additional threads as I don't want to crowd "Campfire" (if that's even possible).

Hang in there. It's all going to be good.

I agree that we want to keep these weekend assignments such that they will attract the most participants while I also see a need for maintaining a certain "light-heartedness", so as not to put off those who may be hesitant in posting for the first time. Finding that balance will be a challenge as we (hopefully) move to the new forum area. I was until now, unaware there had been any concerns expressed on this issue, but now being aware of such it may be that we will start parallel threads for each challenge, as was done on several others, one for posting the photos and another for the less formal chatter. I'm not sure how those could be linked to maintain relevancy between the two or whether that would even work to our advantage.

I expect the transition may well entail a certain period where we experience some growing pains. Perhaps a poll or two asking for input from the contributors might be beneficial once we move to our new home. I am hopefull the move will help to give this area of interest a more cohesive nature, which is why I proposed it in the first place.

I note too that as these have grown in participation the banter has also increased. This seems fairly typical of any group dynamics, as the members have gotten to know each other and become more comfortable within the group they tend to engage in more social chatter.

The down side of this is that it can put off someone from jumping in along the way, so we need to avoid the appearance of becoming closed or cliquish. These will be some of the challenges that Tom and I will face once the photo forum is finally(?) set up. And this is also an area where input from the group will be most welcome as the concept is to provide an area for the enjoyment and benefit of the membership of club as a whole, if it fails in that respect then it has failed, period.

RM

I am constantly amazed at the stuff folks complain about on this forum.
However, I have to ask, will there be day passes available for the photography forum? :stick

I am constantly amazed at the stuff folks complain about on this forum.

I don't know that I would characterize it as complaining. We're a co-op: member owned and operated. Everyone has a say and most comments contain some merit, at least IMHO. We're a thoughtful group, don't you think?

However, I have to ask, will there be day passes available for the photography forum? :stick

For you? Absolutely. But no BBQ dinner.

156840951-L.jpg

my two CHF

I agree that we want to keep these weekend assignments such that they will attract the most participants while I also see a need for maintaining a certain "light-heartedness", so as not to put off those who may be hesitant in posting for the first time. Finding that balance will be a challenge as we (hopefully) move to the new forum area. I was until now, unaware there had been any concerns expressed on this issue, but now being aware of such it may be that we will start parallel threads for each challenge, as was done on several others, one for posting the photos and another for the less formal chatter. I'm not sure how those could be linked to maintain relevancy between the two or whether that would even work to our advantage.

I expect the transition may well entail a certain period where we experience some growing pains. Perhaps a poll or two asking for input from the contributors might be beneficial once we move to our new home. I am hopefull the move will help to give this area of interest a more cohesive nature, which is why I proposed it in the first place.

I note too that as these have grown in participation the banter has also increased. This seems fairly typical of any group dynamics, as the members have gotten to know each other and become more comfortable within the group they tend to engage in more social chatter.

The down side of this is that it can put off someone from jumping in along the way, so we need to avoid the appearance of becoming closed or cliquish. These will be some of the challenges that Tom and I will face once the photo forum is finally(?) set up. And this is also an area where input from the group will be most welcome as the concept is to provide an area for the enjoyment and benefit of the membership of club as a whole, if it fails in that respect then it has failed, period.

RM

Y'all are going to be the Mod Squad of this new forum. Don't over regulate it or try to be everything to everyone. Make it what you want and the people that are part of it will enjoy participating. IMHO you should have threads for beginners, intermediates, advanced photography as well as photoshop users and a photo gear thread. Yes that's a lot...............or, you could leave it just the way it is and have it spontaneous. I think it's working pretty good. This thread is attracting more people every time, it's low key, it's fun, and you never know what you'll learn. For example, I had an English minor, and sometime next week, I will use the word "cumberful" correctly, due to my keen attention to reading "between the prints".

keep up the good work!

I don't know that I would characterize it as complaining. We're a co-op: member owned and operated. Everyone has a say and most comments contain some merit, at least IMHO. We're a thoughtful group, don't you think?

For you? Absolutely. But no BBQ dinner.

156840951-L.jpg

There's not enough pork on that plate. Trust me. :D

Okay, here's my quid's worth.

Friday through Monday, we are all busy taking and posting pics. Late Monday through Wednesday nothing. Wednesday +Thursday critique time.

So Stat what's wrong with banter late Monday and Tuesday? It fills a void.

Back