• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

QSL Teutonic Saddle question

I just picked up a "Teutonic QSL 1000 Mile Solo Saddle" to try out on my 1972 R75 /5, but I have a question about mounting this thing to my bike.
I have the seat, spring and base plate (the piece that slides into the frame top tube and has a horizontal rod sticking across the back making a "T") all assembled and slid into the frametop tube. The question is "What holds the seat at the rear?
A friend told me to use hose clamps to hold it on to the frame's cross tube but that doesn't seem real strong. From just looking at it, I would guess that there might be some sort of bracket or clamp that I am missing.
If there are any folks out there who could help with this puzzle, please let me know.
Oh yeah, the /5 looks really sharp with this seat, original black touring tank and the black Wixom bags with white pinstripes!

Thats about right. Basically U have to modify it as U see fit. I've looked at quite a few in the past and I've seen it done several ways and most mounts look abit amateurish at best. They do look neat on the bike. U will probably lose the use of your under the seat tool box. I have seen the tool box retained, with some of the sidewalls cleared a way for the seat mount to to get acess to the oval frame tube. Good luck with your project.

The seat did come with a curved bar that went below the cross bar and attached to the main mount. I found the bar to be such a PIA to remove/re-install when I worked on my /5 that I left it off. Just sitting on the saddle kept it in place, tho' I admit I didn't do any off-roading. If I still had the /5, I'd probably be using zip ties to hold the bracket down.

BTW - It the springs are a little weak, put a tennis ball between the seat and the bracket - worked for me.;)

Thanks for the replies, Barry & Chris. I have designed a brace that will mount under the base plate and over the cross tube and will behaving it made up at a local machine shop. I still wish that I could see the "curved bar" that Chris mentioned just to see if I am re-inventing the wheel or if I'm improving it!
I think that I will try that tennis ball idea; I'm around 200 lbs and the saddle does drop a bit when I'm on it!
Thanks again guys!

Back