Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tampa, FL - Gillette, WY

Tampa, FL - Gillette, WY

I'll be heading out to the 08 Rally in Gillette this summer. Any riders from the Tampa bay area going to make the trip? I plan on stopping in Kansas City for some BBQ and pick up another BMW rider. Camping and an occasional motel are in the plans...welcome to anyone who wants to come along.

Anthony M.
    2004 R1150RT

hey anthony - i wrote an article that outlines a good ride for you. i think it is going to be published in the february issue of bmw on.

here are a couple of teasers:

believe it or not, this is in kansas.

and....

this is also in kansas!

however... by the sound of your ride plan, you might enjoy the other part of the article... riding across south dakota with NO slab.

hope you have a great ride to gillette!

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

Talking Savannah Rider Would Join

I live in Savannah GA and would like to ride with you. When we select a route I can meet you. If you don't mind keeping the speed around 70/75 for my old K100.

DSC04349.JPG
    Last edited by smilingcouple; 01-04-2008 at 09:54 PM.

From MARS

Kansas: Its really not flat

If anybody traveling to Gillette wants to/needs to have a place to stop, you are welcome to camp at our place in the Flint Hills or stay at the treehouse in Elmdale, Ks. http://www.middleamericariderssociety.org/index.html for more info.

I will be going to the Rally and want to leave a few days early for a round-about trip to Gillette thru northern Colorado and up the west side of WY to Yellowstone then onto Gillette. I travel two lane roads whenever possible at speeds that are comfortable, given the conditions, and usually stay in Mom and Pop motels while traveling. I expect to avg about 450-500 miles/day. You are welcome to join me.

Tom

Rally Rat

Meet you in Tampa

Anthony - My wife and I are planning on making the trip to Gillette from South Florida.
    We'll be two up but we move down the road pretty well. I haven't given much thought to a route yet but Kansas BBQ sounds alright with me.

Jim N.
    Weston, FL

Hey everyone,
    thanks for the response. looks like I may have some company and that would be mighty nice. Tom thanks for the offer of the camping in the Fling Hills. I'll seriously take you up on that. I'll get the directions as the time nears. I'll look for your article Ian in next months issue. Thanks again!!! Anthony

From MARS
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC69 View Post
    Hey everyone,
    thanks for the response. looks like I may have some company and that would be mighty nice. Tom thanks for the offer of the camping in the Fling Hills. I'll seriously take you up on that. I'll get the directions as the time nears. I'll look for your article Ian in next months issue. Thanks again!!! Anthony
    Just give me a holler.

Tom

DavidBMWRT
    How long do you think the trip to Gillette, WY will take?

I'll keep an eye on this thread. I may either be riding up from here in Brevard County FL, or possibly the Rome, GA area depending on which relatives my daughter ends up "visiting" while I'm gone to the Rally.

I'm also looking at mixed camping/motels. Some sightseeing on the way up, but lots more on the way back. I also want to use as little superslab as possible and still get there on the same calendar page I depart on.

I'm figuring 2300-2500 miles up or more depending on side excursions. So at a minimum four 600 mile days or five 500 mile days. A couple of years back I rode from GA to western OH for a gathering immediately before the MOA Rally in OH. I was able to keep on schedule with a decent mix of slab and state/US hiways - maybe 50-50 on each.

Mark,
    Just perused the site and saw your post. I'll be planning a more detailed route sometime this month and will post on the site. would enjoy having the company and comraderie for the trip. Planning on a 50:50 ride of highway and interstate to South Dakota and then all highway through SD to Gilette. I plan on volunteering at the rally, so will want to be there by wednesday afternoon.

Sounds good. I'll be figuring out my starting point probably by early June - either here or Rome, GA as mentioned above.

I'm still collecting ideas on desirable waypoints to make the trip up interesting without burning too much time. So far, routing myself up through Land Between the Lakes, KY looks promising.

As one of operations bosses I worked for on a large staff used to say... Plan early; Plan often. So I collect ideas until the last moment and then the plan gels. Or as us staffers used to reply to the boss.... If you wait til the last minute, it only takes a minute. Planning strategies to live by
    Mark J
    Merritt Island, FL

although i will be leaving from NY and riding backroads my first two days out but from Lima OH i will run the slab (75 N to 90 W towards Chicago, but will avoid that mess) into Devils Tower where i will camp at the KOA before heading into Gillette. not sure how you guys are going but perhaps some of us can exchange cell numbers in case someone runs into any trouble along the way.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    hey anthony - i wrote an article that outlines a good ride for you. i think it is going to be published in the february issue of bmw on.

this is also in kansas!

ian
    where is the Kansas Chopper sculpture located?
    Jim Puckett
    www.notsupermanrally.com
    IBA 24142
    MOA 112409

Quote Originally Posted by jcpuckett View Post
    where is the Kansas Chopper sculpture located?
    that is in my article in the february issue of bmw owners news

it's in mulllinville, kansas, a bit southeast of dodge city.

the artist is m.t. liggett (you gotta see the video on this page...)

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

Pressing #1 for English! tictac's Avatar
    USMC69.
    BBQ sounds good. My wife and I love the back roads. My son is a new young rider and arriving to WY earlier is a good thing, since my son will be participating in the Camp Gears. We always enjoy group rides and good company.
    Count us in.
    Miami Beach, Florida.