• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tall Windscreen F800S or ST

S

sapphire

Has anyone put the taller windsceen on the F800S or ST?

I am curious if it blocked a lot of the wind or not.

Also I am curious about the description (taken from the BMW website):

BMW Motorrad windshields enhance the motorcycles sporty appearance while protecting the rider from wind and rain.
- Not Shown: High/Low Clear and Tall Tinted Windshield.

It states: High/Low Clear and Tall Tinted Windshield? You can't adust the height of the taller windshield or can you?

Thanks! Kristie

Can't adjust the windscreen on the F800 and for me a taller windscreen meant far more buffeting, I went back to the original. Sorry, Kristie, that I can't help more here, but I have a nice tall Skidmarx bubble wind screen and another flatter one, extra now in the garage.

If you lived here, I'd let you try them out. But your ST comes with the taller one than my S has, so maybe you want to try the shorter one. If that's the case, ask your dealer for a trial, most should let you do that for a down the street trial; it is just four torx bolts on and off.

Has anyone put the taller windsceen on the F800S or ST?

I am curious if it blocked a lot of the wind or not.
Kristie, it's important to understand *why* you are dissatisfied with the current screen. Is it just an issue of wind blast, or are you being buffeted in your helmet area? I am the same height as you (maybe shorter legs . . . :p ) and when I rode the 800S I had no concerns at all about the stock screen.

The thing is, windscreens can cause problems as well as alleviate them. If you get a taller screen to limit the wind blast on your torso, you might wind up with turbulence around your helmet, and you'll have to deal with noisy buffeting. In my case, every bike I had with a windscreen caused buffeting at the helmet level. Drove me nuts. On one of those bikes, I kept cutting down the screen in an attempt to eliminate the turbulence, but never quite succeeded.

I ride my 599 with no screen and I do not have any issues with wind blast because the bike has a reasonably aggressive riding position and I can lean into the wind. The 800S actually is slightly more aggressive than the 599. If you relax your arms -- bend your elbows! -- and lean forward, you should have no trouble handling the wind on that bike. Use your stomach and inner thigh muscles to hold yourself in that lean, and I bet you'll find the riding position very comfortable.

Kristie there seems to be an endless debate on stock versus aftermarket solutions to a lot of things. :p

In our case, my R12ST and my wife's F800ST, a taller screen raised the air stream to just above the face shield, which DRAMATICALLY reduced buffeting. I could hardly tolerate riding my wife's bike with the stock screen because it put the wind blast directly at my head. She's shorter than me, so the Cee Bailey's provided optimal comfort for her and a good compromise for me when I ride her bike. I did the same thing on my R12ST and I have a nearly perfect riding environment, particularly on windy days.

As for the BMW tall wind screen for the F8ST, that's what is on the bike from the factory. I first purchased one of those to replace the stock screen not knowing its dimensions. Turns out it was identical.

The trick here is finding a screen that is the correct height for your riding posture. Because we're all different, longer/shorter torsos, etc. it's difficult to just "pick" the right screen without a thorough test ride. Because I went through this trial and error with my bike, I had a pretty good idea what we needed to do with my wife's bike. All this said, for some riders the stock screen is best.

:wave

I actually added a Givi windscreen to my 599 because of the head bobble. Once I added that screen, I had no more issues with head wind and yes, I did lean down on the 599. The problem with that bike was, my legs too long, couldn't find bags, and the bike wasn't comfortable. After 40 min, even after I had a custom seat fitted to me, by legs and thighs were sore and cramped.

As for the F800ST, I haven't had her out on the freeway yet because our weather hasn't allowed me too (just 54 baby miles on her now ridden here and there between rain). I am curious about it, because even though I wear a full face helmet, my face gets cold and I am looking for wind protection so I can ride with the shield up a bit so it doesn't fog up so much. I wear glasses so that is a double pain when the weather is cold. The no fog sprays don't work, because of the warm, humid air from my mouth when the sheild is shut and I don't like the sheild open too much when it is cold out (summer okay).

I did find a website that sells 4 different sizes of windscreens and it describes how to tell if you need a higher sheild. At some point, I will wander out with a yardstick for grins and giggles to see where the sheild lines up with my chin. It may be okay, but I always do research on something BEFORE I modify. Plus, I might not do it because the website states, the sheilds interfere with riser bars. I might add those someday (after the warranty expires....).

:dunno

Kristie there seems to be an endless debate on stock versus aftermarket solutions to a lot of things. :p

In our case, my R12ST and my wife's F800ST, a taller screen raised the air stream to just above the face shield, which DRAMATICALLY reduced buffeting. I could hardly tolerate riding my wife's bike with the stock screen because it put the wind blast directly at my head. She's shorter than me, so the Cee Bailey's provided optimal comfort for her and a good compromise for me when I ride her bike. I did the same thing on my R12ST and I have a nearly perfect riding environment, particularly on windy days.

As for the BMW tall wind screen for the F8ST, that's what is on the bike from the factory. I first purchased one of those to replace the stock screen not knowing its dimensions. Turns out it was identical.

The trick here is finding a screen that is the correct height for your riding posture. Because we're all different, longer/shorter torsos, etc. it's difficult to just "pick" the right screen without a thorough test ride. Because I went through this trial and error with my bike, I had a pretty good idea what we needed to do with my wife's bike. All this said, for some riders the stock screen is best.

:wave
Sweet! Thanks for the info.....I think I will go out and measure my riding postion vs the height of this sheild. I have a feeling, it will either come out the correct size or just a smidgen short. I can always ride tall sheild during the winter and shorter in the summer. :) I love having choices!

I have the 19 inch vstream on my ST. I had ridden a thousand or so miles with the lower one and felt that I still needed more coverage.

The 19 incher is much better, but I swtill get a lot of turbulence that seems to be hitting me about squarely in the face (I'm about 6 ft with a 31 inch inseam).

I had a friend try my bike recently and he suggested that I add a "laminar lip.

I have one on order -- I'll keep you posted.

I have the 19 inch vstream on my ST. I had ridden a thousand or so miles with the lower one and felt that I still needed more coverage.

The 19 incher is much better, but I swtill get a lot of turbulence that seems to be hitting me about squarely in the face (I'm about 6 ft with a 31 inch inseam).

I had a friend try my bike recently and he suggested that I add a "laminar lip.

I have one on order -- I'll keep you posted.
Please do!! Even though I have a full face helmet, I still get hit in the face with air because when the weather is colder, I have to ride with the sheild open a bit or it will fog up. I really don't like the air, it feels like I can't breathe (even though I am). I talked to the dealership the other day and they said I might like one about 4 inches higher than the stock one. They did say, that I would probably end up feeling a bit more tubulance.

Maybe I can hang on until spring then at least the air won't be so cold. :)

Back