• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Do sliks prevent helmet hair?

El Dookey loves to ride.
I ride to work every day. Some days trying to fix my hair is a real pain. Do any of you wear sliks on a regular basis? Do they work for you? In what way? Should I get one?
Thanks gang.

Nah....doesn't matter whether I put slicks on the bike or leave the factory metzlers....I still get the same amount of helmet hair. :bliss :D :bliss

Sliks and helmet head

Cliffy,

They do work to a degree. Your hair will still look flattened, but it won't have the helmet liner grooves it normally does. Or you could just order a t-shirt like mine with the following message on it:

I have a German hairdresser . . .his name is Helmut.:clap

Cheers,
Mark

I use a Slik liner every time I put on my helmet. I commute almost daily and have more problems with wind blowing my hair around on the walk in from the parking lot than helmet hair. I recommend them highly.

The only way to prevent helmet hair. Have no hair! In the summer I go for the buzz cut for that exact reason.

I'm going to suggest that it depends on your hair. Sliks did zilch for my helmet-doo - it's now sitting in that box that holds the other motorcycling "thought I would like it" stuff.

Wes said:
I'm going to suggest that it depends on your hair. Sliks did zilch for my helmet-doo - it's now sitting in that box that holds the other motorcycling "thought I would like it" stuff.

I'll second that. When I got my in-ears, I was advised to use one to keep the plugs in place. Turned out to be a royal PITA, IMHO. I do use it on occasion in the heat of summer, soaked in water, for the evaporative cooling effect.
Did squat for Helmet Hair for me, but I'm beyond caring.

I use the Sliks under my Schuberth helmet, but it doesn't keep my
hair neat and tidy, but I don't have a whole lot of locks to worry
about.

I do like the Sliks because it makes my helmet go on much more
easily and I can keep my ear plugs in much better. I thought
the main selling point of the Sliks was that it absorbed the sweat
etc. that normally ends up in your helmet liner.

I am very satisfied with my Sliks.

Gerald

Wearing Sliks is better than not wearing Sliks. I use one everyday for the ride to work but still have to do a quick touch-up after I get there. But itÔÇÖs not as big of a mess as it would be had I not worn it. Where I really appreciate it is on a long ride or when the weather is warm to hot. I think they help keep the inside of the helmet a lot cleaner. IÔÇÖll buy another, or something like it, when it comes time for a replacement.

I wear a thing called the Orginal Texas Headskin that I got at a rally or something over 15 years ago. It does nothing for my hair. That is why I get a high and tight crew cut from April thru October. What it does do is keep the helmet liner from stinking. I just throw the headskin in the laundry. When I'm on the road I wash it out in a sink and let it air dry on a mirror.

MarkF

Yes, you caught us. It was a joke. None of us posting have any kind of daily job where we need to look somewhat squared away and professional at work. None of us would ever let our personal appearance, as seen by our clients, or our customers, or our boss, or our fellow workers come before our need to look like s--- because we ride a motorcycle. I mean, after all, we have an image to uphold.

Glad you caught on, youÔÇÖre a sharp guy!

BradfordBenn said:
The only way to prevent helmet hair. Have no hair! In the summer I go for the buzz cut for that exact reason.

The exact opposite works great for me. I wear my hair in a pony tail... sometimes I have to take out the rubber band and reapply, but the helmet never creates a real problem ("bed head" doesn't occur, either). I do wear a headskin to absorb sweat.

:idea

Just grow it out!

I used to have a pony tail. I want my pony tail back. Before I cut it in the mid 90's for a job it was down to my butt. (Idid not sell out, I rented.)

Unfortunately if I grew it now, I would look like Phil Collins. (I am folically challenged)

rick-1.jpg

Flowbee, dood.

BradfordBenn said:
I used to have a pony tail. I want my pony tail back. Before I cut it in the mid 90's for a job it was down to my butt. (Idid not sell out, I rented.)

Unfortunately if I grew it now, I would look like Phil Collins. (I am folically challenged)

I too am folically challenged. I do the buzz cut now anyhow, but find sweat is an issue, so I use a balaclava or slik to keep the stink in my helmet to a minimum.

Jim :brow

Back