• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RT sidestand

mooch

I just purchased an 82 r100rt. I have difficulty extending the sidestand while on the bike. It seems too long. I have to lean the bike far over to the right to extend it or it will hit the ground. once fully extended I can then lean the bike back to the left. I don't know if this is the stock stand or not. has anybody put on an aftermarket stand or modified this one? thanks.

I had some similar problems

Last year I bought a 83' R80RT and had some similar problems with side stand and center stand functions. Found out the original owner had changed the center stand for a ride off center stand and modified the side stand with a prong welded on to the side stand. After the prong caused an accident I decided to return the bike to the original side stand and center stand.

I have since found out the way to use the side stand is step off the bike and then put the side stand down. I got the clue to this watching the local BMW shops mechanics get on and off my bike. Once I learned this I haven't had any problems with using the side or center stand. The nice thing about the R80RT and the R100's is they are so well balanced that steping off them is easy. (Especially if you are short like I am, 5' 7") This is not something I could do on my previous bikes (Japanese types).

I found the stock stand on my 84 R100 RT was useless and dangerous,so I made a chromed Brown sidestand fit.It works great.I also have a Reynolds ride off centre stand that is okay,though I suspect the original,which raised the bike higher,may have been better.

While I've seen it done (put the stock side stand down without dismounting), I have NO intention of trying it. You move the stand out with your foot as far as the stand will go, then lean the bike over until the stand rests on the ground and hope for the best. If something slips or the ground is too soft or the stand isn't out all the way or... or... or... then the bike goes all the way down. I dismount to put the stand down. Always have, always will.

The center stand is actually easier to put down while seated. I put my right foot on the ground for balance, then push the center stand down with my left foot until both its feet are on the ground. Then put all of my weight on my left foot (still on the center stand tang) and then yank the bike backwards with the handlebars. I would only try this on a hard level surface.

I still get off to put the center stand down over 99% of the time. But, I do it this way when I park my bike in the garage in the winter. Since in the winter I want room for my cage, the bike gets put all the way against the wall (fairing almost touching), so I don't have room to put the center stand down any other way.

On the "Ride off" Center Stand!!

My Bike when I bought it had one of the after market "Ride off" Center stands. After I dumped the bike, because of the modifications to the side stand the previous owner had to make to work the side stand with the Ride off center stand, I put an original back on the bike.

One of the benefits of the original stand, vs. the "Ride off" stand, is that you can actually work on the bike and get both tires off the ground if you need to change a tire, or set the values, or almost any activity that requires the bike to be up off the ground. I also found the after market "Ride off" center stand had damaged the stops for the center stand, actually dented them. The results is that after I put an original center stand back on the bike, I had to have the contact points for the stand welded to make it work like it was suppose to originally.

Back