• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F650ST purchase recently;

Polarbear

Polarbear
I just bought my "University of AZ" daughter a F650ST '97 model and its a fine bike, as I had a '99 F650, which I loved. I am a life member of the Chaingang but forgot how to get back in over there! I rode down to AZ a while back to take a look at what I bought for her and to get her started on her lifes journey as a rider of a fine mark like the F650ST:). Jessica has a fine start, with MSF course work all complete and her fresh AZ motorcycle license and the bike of choice for her:). The bike is her early graduation present and her tough work there as an inspiring young Aerospace Engineer. I am proud of her:).
QUESTION! The bike has a clicking noise coming from somewhere around the motor at cruising speeds, around 40-45mph, off the throttle cruising along, easy like? Seems I recall with my F650 Funduro model, the emmisions pipe along the right side of the motor, coming from the airbox to the header pipe was an issue? Am I right in my memory of this? Plugging these was something many of us did back then and is this what the noise may be coming from. The bike runs just fine with, no issues otherwise and with 25K miles on its odometer. My guess was the emmision pipe made the clicking sounds as gases made the noise, exploding in there! Wrong? I do not know, but I do remember plugging mine in '99, at the airbox side of the pipe, for what reason, I do not remember:(. ONLY other issue I've read about is maybe the camchain tensioner has a piston arrangement, that has become stuck on some F650's? Unknown to me? I made a good purchase in this F650ST, as it is very clean and a very good fit for my oldest daughter and she loves it. My BMW passenger for so many years as a young girl behind Dad, touring all over the USA. We sure have stories! Now, she begins her own BMW saga in fine fashion, I feel:). Please help me with this click noise we've discovered on the ST. Randy13233 and Jessica, also a young new 'moa member:). :thumb

How many miles? If the F sat for a long time, a possiblility is the cam chain tensioner is frozen. Also, cruising "easy like" you want to make sure you're 4000< rpm. Otherwise the compression release could be "releasing". Which makes a clicking sound. Otherwise, a valve check should be in order. (Which should answer the tensioner question as it's removed to check the valves.)

Thanks;

The bike has been BMW serviced within the past year and at 25K miles, it is a fairly low mileage one. The compression release is another thing I had forgotten! Yes, the rpm's have to be kept rather higher on the F bikes and I have been riding my R100 a lot lately, which is another animal with low rpm performance. The ST is a fine ride and I am sure we will get it figured out for a long future of riding pleasure:). Randy13233. :wave

Back