• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

This sounds like $$$$$

That sucks.

But this would explain why the release bearing would be over worked: "After one week 1.190" 1.024" Seal #1 diameter increased by 20%."A swollen seal would not let the throwout bearing release all the way.

:nra

I cant help but wonder if the suggestion was made to use mineral oil to ensure a sale of a slave cylinder later on.

Hopefully not.

The is a frame cross bolt directly behind the slave cylinder, any idea how difficult it is to get out?

Now... :type :drink

Easy. Remove the two clamping screws on the right side and pull it out to the right. That's how the BMW shop manual says to change the slave cylinder. I did it on mine and it came out and went back together fine.

DOT-4 AFAIK - and according to my service manuals.

The dealer may have done you a disservice (although I understand you said the fluid was gunky last time it was changed..) The seal material made for DOT-4 fluid isn't necessarily compatible with mineral fluid. That may have caused your seal failure. The rough feeling bearing and the brown gritty sludge make me believe a new cylinder and a complete flush of the system with DOT4 should make the noise go away..

In slightly stronger terms: Seals compatible with DOT 4 brake fluid are absolutely NOT compatible with mineral hydraulic oil, and will be rather quickly destroyed. Get the mineral oil out ASAP and hope that the master cylinder can be salvaged. I wondered, and posted the question on the IBMWR Tech list and every chemist nearby came out of the woodwork to answer my question. Then Anton put some seals in some fluids to watch them swell and deteriorate. Anton ?????

In slightly stronger terms: Seals compatible with DOT 4 brake fluid are absolutely NOT compatible with mineral hydraulic oil, and will be rather quickly destroyed. Get the mineral oil out ASAP and hope that the master cylinder can be salvaged. I wondered, and posted the question on the IBMWR Tech list and every chemist nearby came out of the woodwork to answer my question. Then Anton put some seals in some fluids to watch them swell and deteriorate. Anton ?????

I'll get it out as soon as I get home but I have my doubts, been in there too long.
Didnt I read the MS could be rebuilt?

Easy. Remove the two clamping screws on the right side and pull it out to the right. That's how the BMW shop manual says to change the slave cylinder. I did it on mine and it came out and went back together fine.

Thank you! I need to get one of those manuals. The OEM CD one doesnt have much in the way of procedures.

Which brand do you have?

Thank you! I need to get one of those manuals. The OEM CD one doesnt have much in the way of procedures.

Which brand do you have?

I have the OEM manual for the '02 1150RT. On page 21.10 of mine (under the section on replacing the slave cylinder: "Remove frame tube from gearbox") it describes removing the tube and the re-installation and torque specs.

If yours doesn't have it, I can email a jpeg image of the section from the manual.

Al

New slave cylinder, crush washers, and gasket on the way :brad

The dealer involved was interested in the situation and I am pleased with their response :dance

The pivot bearings are sloppy 3-9 Oclock, so Rubber Chicken bushings are set to go in as is a new FD bearing ($47 from my bearing supplier).

I'll be all set soon for the riding season :brad :brad :brad

Wife has a setback on order and a foot peg lowering kit coming too.

We are planning this Spring to take our first MC vacation and we cant wait :thumb I took one once when I was 20 on my R-90/6, and did 1000 miles in one day, I can still remember the fatigue... The tranny got so hot from pushing in MO in the upper 90's all afternoon, shifting got pretty difficult.

This time we wont be after such bragging rights, we just want to have fun!!!

Thanks for all the advice!

heat issues??

There seems to be one common thread running through the tranny issue, and it is heat. Could the catalytic converter have anything to do with that?? Does it cook the tranny's from below, increasing it's operating temp even when moving?:lurk

The CAT is long gone, it had a Remus almost from the start. I got the OEM exhaust with the bike and really prefer a quiet machine so I put the CAT OEM exhaust back on. That lasted a day or two, lost too much power.

So I did a CAT-exctomy on the OEM system; no change in noise level but not as much power as the Remus (but it was better with out the CAT element)

I really need to sell the de-clawed OEM exhaust, it's taking up valuable room.

--------------------

Anton, you have a PM.

Back