• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Heading from Memphis to Key West

espressoforyou

I am considering leaving Memphis this Sat. 12-29-07 and heading south for warm weather. I was thinking about Key West as a target point. Any suggestions on a fun and interesting route riding a r1200gs. Out-of-the-ordinary place to visit and lodge?

Also any suggestions for points of interest. Probably going to take a tour of Everglades. Any info on best Everglades tour.

Thanks Randy

I've been down to the Keys a few times back in the 90's. Are U campin or motelin. A nice stop is either St Joseph peninsula or St. George Island to camp. In the panhandle on highway 98 east of Panana City. If U go to the Everglades be sure to go all the way to the end at Flamingo for the most southern pt. on the mainland. I camped out at one of the Park campgrounds, the skiters ran me and I thought they were bad in east Ar. In Key West there use to be a BMW rally during bike week held at the Southern Cross Motel. Might be a good place to motel while in town. I enjoyed a sail boat trip out to the open water on the largest passenger sail boat the Western Union. Be sure to get your picture taken at the buoy, the most southern pt. in the US. Go to the open air sunset party and watch the sunset, It's a real big deal down there. Just relax while your in the keys, it's all in the attiude there, dude. :groovy :brow

+1 on US 98. Nice seaside ride and some fall color through the panhandle. I would take 27 through the middle of the state to go south. The slabs are boring and busy. If you use Google earth or Mapquest you can get some good satellite views of the available routes. Make sure you check things over well before you go past Clermont. You will go through some long stretches with very little population and poor cell reception.

I am considering leaving Memphis this Sat. 12-29-07 and heading south for warm weather. I was thinking about Key West as a target point. Any suggestions on a fun and interesting route riding a r1200gs. Out-of-the-ordinary place to visit and lodge?

Also any suggestions for points of interest. Probably going to take a tour of Everglades. Any info on best Everglades tour.

Thanks Randy

See if you can open Captain Ron & Pirate John's Adventure Guide...

http://www.buccaneerpublishing.com/AdventureGuide.htm

Pjk

Last edited:
Hwy 41 was the road from the great white north until I-75 was built. I've found "some" of 41 to be very interesting (old Florida). It will lead you down the mid to west side of the state, Tampa is a good place to avoid (the Sunshine Skyway bridge is kinda cool) It (41) wiil then take you though the everglades and dump you west of Miami. Chrome ave (997 south) will take you to Florida City and US 1 to the top of the Keys.

A bit too late!

Sure wish I had read this post a couple of weeks ago,, I also wanted to hit the Keys over the New Year! Maybe we could have ridden together. I could not find any souls brave enough to make the ride...Jim

Back