• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Photo Assignment: Weekend 12/29/07

I shot the Three Metal Amigos several ways. There were actually four of them, side by side. My first several shots were of their fronts (south three and north three) but that then included a messy background of store-fronts across the lot behind the Amigos. I decided the background would be better if I shot from behind. Again south three and north three to see which colors I liked best. Good point about crouching down - that is at least the second time the error of not doing that has been noted.

Shot on auto with a very small Fuji Finepix Z5.

I think this goes to show that in spite of my glib critiques, often a great deal of thought and planning has gone into the execution of a photo, and often that is the best result given the circumstances. Thanks for enlightening me.

Because you rightly showed me only three, I assumed that was the reality. Very interesting. . . .

As always, thanks for the critiques! (and also congrats! :clap )

In my defense:

When looking at the dinner menu I saw the smallest steak (aside from the absurdly expensive filet) was 22oz. WAY too much meat, I thought. So, I ordered the grilled pork chops. Decent price, sounded good. I had NO IDEA I was getting more than one pig. No, I didn't eat it all. Also, if you saw the POTS of food everyone else got, my meal almost seems reasonable. :)

JDMetzger doth protest too much, methinks.

:p

I think this goes to show that in spite of my glib critiques, often a great deal of thought and planning has gone into the execution of a photo, and often that is the best result given the circumstances. Thanks for enlightening me.

Because you rightly showed me only three, I assumed that was the reality. Very interesting. . . .

Here is the best of the first group from the front. I didn't like the results because the sun washed the photo out and I didn't like the background. I could fix brightness, contrast, and saturation - but for the rules - and still wouldn't like the background.

Attachments

• amigos3.jpg
    amigos3.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 55
So I shot several from behind. Here is the one I submitted.

Attachments

• amigos1.jpg
    amigos1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 55
Thanks for the kind words of my photo, Tom. I appreciate the critiques, as I feel that my pictures from the rides I take are not usually to the standard I would like them to be. I'm committed this year to talking better pictures- whether they're just snapshots or photographs I'd like to hang on the wall.

If I may, here are few of the pictures that didn't make the cut:

PtReyes+007.jpg

This one reminds me too much of the image I submitted for the "triangles" assignment. I think it's the radial nature of the supports.

PtReyes+099.jpg

3 people. Obviously climbing the stairs that I had photographed earlier. I don't like the lack of contrast (shooting into the sun) and the odd angle at which the stairs appear. Shot from above and to the side, I had a hard time framing it so that it didn't look like the people were leaning back. I also had to frame it so as not to include the many other people on the rest of the steps.

PtReyes+112.jpg

I took loads of pictures of the shoreline here. The wires ruin it for me, but are the only "3" that include the shore.

Where was I? Pt Reyes Lighthouse. The headlands at the point are too high and frequently shrouded in dense fog, so they built the lighthouse down on the cliff- complete with 308 steps to get to it. This time of year it's a fantastic place for shore-based whale watching as the point sticks way out past the nearby shore. The wind was blowing pretty hard while we were out there, making spotting the migrating whales very difficult.

PtReyes+045.jpg

Google Map

Thanks Paul and Boney for sharing your "backstories" with us--very instructive indeed.

Paul's posts #63 & 64 are textbook instruction on lighting as it relates to where you want the sun when shooting. Kodak used to have little photo tips inside their boxes of film, one of which was "always have the sun to your back" (YOU being the photographer). Note the dramatic difference in the contrast and the resulting colors in these two images.

Boney's trip to Pt. Reyes shows the many opportunities for different shots in a given trip. The lighthouse supports do indeed make for an interesting picture. The white in this photo is very difficult. Up top it's a bit gray and below the highlights are completely blown out, one of the difficulties of digital imaging I am learning. It's still a successful image, but a light-metering land mine.

Although I see the problems you indicate, I rather like the shot of the utility pole against the shore for this assignment. It's filled with threes. Perhaps if (that is if) a slightly different angle were available or if you had used a polarizer or if. . . .

Thanks again to both of you for educating us.

Shots this week.

238938046-L.jpg

You are right I was shooting into the sun. It was about 55 degrees and my wife wouldn't stand in the shade to put the sun behind me.

238937737-L.jpg

The guy with the hat stood up just as I took it. No time for another shot. I didn't like the framing of it either.

238939610-L.jpg

I hand held this with my point and shoot from about 125 yards, probably on 12 power zoom. 3 optical 4 digital. I am actually kind of proud of how this one came out. The scoreboard was at the top of the outside of the stadium and I was on the opposite 20 yard line.

Again thanks for the critiques, these threads have been awesome.

You are right I was shooting into the sun. It was about 55 degrees and my wife wouldn't stand in the shade to put the sun behind me.

Stay in the sun; stay married. Words to live by. Point is, you got the shot.

The guy with the hat stood up just as I took it. No time for another shot. I didn't like the framing of it either.

This is why I carry a taser at all times.

I hand held this with my point and shoot from about 125 yards, probably on 12 power zoom. 3 optical 4 digital. I am actually kind of proud of how this one came out. The scoreboard was at the top of the outside of the stadium and I was on the opposite 20 yard line.

Given these parameters, particularly that part of this zoom was digitally enhanced, you should be quite proud of this.

Again thanks for the critiques, these threads have been awesome.

You're most welcome. I remain impressed that anyone is interested in what I have to say. I'm enjoying these threads at least as much as everyone else.

:type

thanks

The three in this photo is my three kids. That's the backs of my two sons, my daughter, who was in front of them, showed up in pink on the reflection on the side rail.

thanks for all you do, I really enjoy seeing everyone's pix. Last time I made that walk out to the Pt. Reyes lighthouse my oldest son was on my back as a newborn!

Although I see the problems you indicate, I rather like the shot of the utility pole against the shore for this assignment. It's filled with threes. Perhaps if (that is if) a slightly different angle were available or if you had used a polarizer or if. . . .

This is why I'm here, and making an effort to participate more than I have been... Yes, there are many different angles to take the picture from, and I only took one of them. Maybe I'll get a change to head out there for another attempt soon. I don't have a polarizing filter- in fact, I'm using a Canon A710IS point and shoot as my primary camera (my other one is an old S400 Elph). I don't own a digital SLR and don't see one in my future. Mostly because I'm trying to pare down the amount/size of stuff I take with me. (that and I've already got a slew of expensive hobbies and a small budget with which to fund them.) I'd like to get proficient at using the little camera to get better shots from it. It's quite capable and has many more features than I know how to use.

That and I'd like to get my hands on a new Canon G9 so I can start messing with RAW images.

This is why I'm here, and making an effort to participate more than I have been... Yes, there are many different angles to take the picture from, and I only took one of them. Maybe I'll get a change to head out there for another attempt soon. I don't have a polarizing filter- in fact, I'm using a Canon A710IS point and shoot as my primary camera (my other one is an old S400 Elph). I don't own a digital SLR and don't see one in my future. Mostly because I'm trying to pare down the amount/size of stuff I take with me. (that and I've already got a slew of expensive hobbies and a small budget with which to fund them.) I'd like to get proficient at using the little camera to get better shots from it. It's quite capable and has many more features than I know how to use.

That and I'd like to get my hands on a new Canon G9 so I can start messing with RAW images.

Given your parameters (size, cost, other hobbie$), stay WAY away from a DSLR. :p

I've got the G9 on my mind. . . . I've got to raise enough cash to pay off a holiday credit card bill before I raise enough cash to buy one. Damn the universe and its delayed gratification. I'm just coming around to a place where I don't want to haul the DSLR everywhere. Picture quality is appreciably different but very good nonetheless. And besides, think of the money you'll save on PL filters.

I recently spent over $200 on one! :faint)

Back