• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What helps you to decide whether to attend the National or not

What would help influence your decision to attend the National Rally

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Too Far?? 1050 miles per Mapquest. Is that the Buell rider or Beemer rider speaking? How's Illinois going to beat Wisconsin in the mileage contest?? (Just kidding)
:wave
I have got a secret. Myself, and many other BMW rider's here I know, don't even enter the mileage contest.
I am thinking 1 day from here, but it wouldn't be a fun one. Two if I want to have more fun. Then there is the time from my wife and home factor, the formula gets quite complicated. :laugh

Growing roots to the seat

Hahira, Georgia is a long way from Gillete, even for some one who loves riding a motorcycle, but at the risk of sounding like a sissy and boring some of you Iron Butts to death I need to know how you deal with the pain.

1- The area between my shoulders blades catches fire after five or six hours.....
2- How do you keep from growing roots to the seat? About three hours is all I can stand. Hot, sticky and raw are the words that come to mind

Are there answers for this sort of thing or should I just shut up, grit my teeth and do it?

Hahira, Georgia is a long way from Gillete, even for some one who loves riding a motorcycle, but at the risk of sounding like a sissy and boring some of you Iron Butts to death I need to know how you deal with the pain.

1- The area between my shoulders blades catches fire after five or six hours.....
2- How do you keep from growing roots to the seat? About three hours is all I can stand. Hot, sticky and raw are the words that come to mind

Are there answers for this sort of thing or should I just shut up, grit my teeth and do it?

The answers are to stop once an hour or so, stretch, drink some fluids, eat a snack and take off again. It doesn't take long to rejuvenate. It's not my back or my backside, but my knees that have an issue. It's amazing how taking a short break with a Gatorade, a Snickers bar and some quick stretches can make you really feel like going again.

Another answer is to put something on your seat, like a sheepskin, airhawk seat pad, or maybe one of those beaded seat thingys. That will help as well.

I can't speak to the shoulder issue. It almost sounds like there's too much weight on your wrists and arms? Bar risers may help?

I can understand DavidBMWRT's problem as I have a similar one. Due to a broken back in 1968, the maximum ride I can handle is 500 miles per day. However, I can not do it day after day. After a couple of 500 mile days, I wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning. Riding to Gillette would be 3.5 days of 500 miles each way. I can't risk being stuck almost 1,800 miles from home and laid up in a $200 per night motel room with a bad back. I have two much older riding friends who always go regardless of where it is but I have to wait until the rally is much closer.

A perfect opportunity for a SS2000

I am looking forward to my first rally in Gillette. It's 2010 miles each way from where I live to the rally site......a perfect opportunity for a SS2000 award from the IBA!! I am starting my workout regimen now to get ready for a long ride and a great rally!!

I am looking forward to my first rally in Gillette. It's 2010 miles each way from where I live to the rally site......a perfect opportunity for a SS2000 award from the IBA!! I am starting my workout regimen now to get ready for a long ride and a great rally!!

There will be plenty of IBA members who will witness your arrival to the rally, and sign your form. Good luck with your ride, and tell your wife you're starting with that part of your anatomy:laugh

See you in Gillette!! Ride hard....but be Safe!

If you ride like the guy in your avatar, your butt shouldn't hurt at all.
:laugh
Sunburn, and your legs and stomach could be problematic.

Last edited:
Looks like a great trip

For me, the greater distance is a plus but at age 70 I am retired and have the time. I will be riding from northern Maine, a distance of 2000+ miles and am looking forward to the solo trip. Having company for part of the trip anyway would be nice. I ride an '06 1200 RT
I am also looking at going to Colorado after if my wife will let me be gone that long. I will be camping so the motel prices won't be an issue, if I didn't camp they sure would.
This will be my first national rally and I am really looking forward to it!!

Are there answers for this sort of thing or should I just shut up, grit my teeth and do it?[/QUOTE]

David,
Think about a custom seat. My choice is a Russell, but there are other good products available. It can make a lot of difference in comfort. You might also try a pair of bicycle pants under your riding gear. For the shoulders, have you tried changing the position of your handlebars (forward, back, etc.) until you are more comfortable? Also, some folks take an OTC pain reliever at the beginning of the day before the pain begins. Good luck.

Too Far?? 1050 miles per Mapquest. Is that the Buell rider or Beemer rider speaking? How's Illinois going to beat Wisconsin in the mileage contest?? (Just kidding) Everyone has time constraints and make choices with their very precious vacation days.

Right. It is not the distance. I loves me a 600+ mile day. And in fact, I bought my BMW in the first place to get to a volunteer archaeological gig in Wyoming! Rather it is the time off required. But, I did say "we'll see" and it turns out that I may be able to swing it after all. Thanks for the encouragement!

And as Roy noted, not all of us are interested in the mileage contest. To me, that seems like a relic of a past era. I would suggest that we focus on the quality of the miles we ride rather than the quantity.

I've been to most of the Nationals in the last 15 years Even with only 2 weeks vacation, my rule of thumb was 1000 miles for a weekend rally. I've stayed at many a National for only a few hours (with no day pass) Fontana and Durango were 2......but then that's just me:dance

Until I retire, I think my rule of thumb for most years will be a one day or less ride to get there. I am fortunate that things aligned favorably this year and it looks like I probably will be going to Gillette even though I am not an Iron Butt rider.

Right. It is not the distance. I loves me a 600+ mile day. And in fact, I bought my BMW in the first place to get to a volunteer archaeological gig in Wyoming! Rather it is the time off required. But, I did say "we'll see" and it turns out that I may be able to swing it after all. Thanks for the encouragement!.

Great!!! We're glad you can make it. Since you're in to Volunteering....we may put you to work. So where was the archaeological gig in WY??

And as Roy noted, not all of us are interested in the mileage contest. To me, that seems like a relic of a past era. I would suggest that we focus on the quality of the miles we ride rather than the quantity. !.

Quality is definitely important. When I attended some of those rallies, it was a personal decision....ride 1k/day and get to the rally, or don't go. I chose the former.

Hope your schedule allows you to make it.......

The prime factor whether I go to a Rally (Gillette will be my first) is location. It has to be relatively close to where I am. I anticipate leaving home on 15 July to arrive on the 17th. If my wife has other ideas, we may leave home earlier to either take a longer route or to make shorter riding days. Timing is also a factor as I usually have to work through the entire month of July but this year I put my foot down and declared my holidays really early. As soon as Gillette was announced as the location, I told the folks I work with that I was taking holidays in July and not August in 2008.

I will see ya all there. :thumb

Great!!! We're glad you can make it. Since you're in to Volunteering....we may put you to work. So where was the archaeological gig in WY??
It was in the Laramie Range in the Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest in the south east part of Wyoming. I look forward to helping at the rally somehow.
Quality is definitely important. When I attended some of those rallies, it was a personal decision....ride 1k/day and get to the rally, or don't go. I chose the former.

Hope your schedule allows you to make it.......

Me too.

Back