• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anyone Been on European Tours?

fastdogs2

I am considering a European tour for next year, possibly to the Alps.

Anyone have any experience with the major tour companies, such as Edelweiss?

What kind of lodgings do they have? Are they simple or elobarate?

Can non-riders accompany you on the tour and ride in the support van? My wife does not ride and has no desire to ride as a passenger.

I have explored a German company that also is in the Czech Republic. Looked at them last summer when I was in Eastern Europe and hope to meet them next month when I'm in Germany, CR, and Poland. Maybe Belarus if my frigging Visa comes in time.

Anyway, their pricing seemed to be good. They had BMWs, Hondas, and Yamaha along with another brand I don't recall.

Have to leave now for Christmas stuff. Will PM you a link in a few day.

Merry Christmas!

Randy Kasal

My first is coming up

My wife and I are doing a Beach Tour in the Alps this summer. You can go it alone on theirs. It's two weeks, the one we are going on starts in Munich goes east to Switerland down to Italy, through Slovenia, Austria and back to Munich and I believe crosses the Alps 10 times. They use BMW's and we are taking a R1200 GS.

Can non-riders accompany you on the tour and ride in the support van? My wife does not ride and has no desire to ride as a passenger.

i have not been on a tour, but am attracted to the edelweiss touring center concept, where you stay in a central location and ride loops out and back each day.

are you aware of our global touring section?

another really good option in my opinion is the bike rental/go your own way plan.

ian

Good plan! :thumb You won't regret it.

No, simply because motorcycling to me is about freedom and I couldn't see myself being part of a caravan of motorcycles... I prefer to ride solo.

They are semi-elaborate from the pics I've seen, but pricey. You can spend far less and stay in incredibly nice places. For example, I've stayed at Hotel Kronblick in the Dolomites for less than half of what the tour companies claim they put out for accomodations. Pretty nice place, ehhhh?

As Ian mentioned, there are touring centers where for your entire stay, you return to your home base every evening. Whether your wife would like to sit in a support van all day, I don't know. It wouldn't be bad if someone else's wife was along for her to chat and share thoughts with.

Or would she be happy to just meander in towns off on her own? If that is the case, another possibility is to pick centers like Innsbruck and Cortina d'Ampezzo, towns where she would have some sights to see. You could then head off for a day of riding on your own.

It doesn't appear as you could go on a self-guided tour, but should that interest you, I've put together an info thread. See link below.

ultimate alps 2008

I have 13 folks signed up for a Edelweiss Ultimate Alps trip this June.

we have room for more if you're interested.

And contrary to Globalriders comment about riding in a caravan.........

Edelweiss offers lots of freedom. You can ride with the tour guide or ride on your own or in small groups of your choice! And you can put as many miles on the bike as you'd like.

jason

And contrary to Globalriders comment about riding in a caravan.........

Edelweiss offers lots of freedom. You can ride with the tour guide or ride on your own or in small groups of your choice! And you can put as many miles on the bike as you'd like.

jason

Quite true, but then why would I pay big coin to take part in an "organized tour" if I was going to ride on my own in the first place. I might as well have gone self-guided.

There are countless other advantages to going self-guided, not just not being part of a caravan of motorcycles. As part of a tour group, be it a motorcycle tour or bus tour, one hardly communicates with anyone outside of the group. I like talking to the riders from all over Europe when atop the passes. You get a European perspective of Europe...not a North American one.

Quite true, but then why would I pay big coin to take part in an "organized tour" if I was going to ride on my own in the first place. I might as well have gone self-guided.

I've asked the same question, but there is a pretty good answer. By "joining" a tour, you have a set of hotel rooms and meals ready for you when you arrive. Your luggage shows up on its own, too, and you don't have to figure out how to lug it around on your bike.

While none of these things are a problem for me or, I am sure, Globalrider, they are still advantages for a lot of people. I know someone who has been on DOZENS of these tours, but never rides the suggested routes. Instead, he rides much farther every day than the 100-200 miles that the tours do.

I think the point to all this is, if this is your first trip to Europe, going on a tour isn't a bad way to go. You can get a feel for what you like, and what you don't like, and then use that experience to make decisions about future trips.

Western Europe is incredibly well connected to the internet, so picking spots to stay in and finding motorcycles to rent isn't that hard to do.

Oh, and don't ride with Darryl. He'll make you ride 500 miles/day with only a single cappucino break. :D

I've asked the same question, but there is a pretty good answer. By "joining" a tour, you have a set of hotel rooms and meals ready for you when you arrive.

Darryl! I'm not special, yet in my thirteen years of riding there, I have yet to book anything in advance and end up sleeping in a ditch.

But for those that worry about everything, by all means, go on a tour.

PS...if you are riding 500 miles (800 kms) in a day, we gotta talk...you are riding roads that are far too straight. :stick

When will you be there? I'm there all of June and a bit. Meet?

Oh, and don't ride with Darryl. He'll make you ride 500 miles/day with only a single cappucino break. :D

And here it is:

P6251039med.JPG

Darryl! I'm not special, yet in my thirteen years of riding there, I have yet to book anything in advance and end up sleeping in a ditch.

I've done it, but I didn't really see the point myself. I'm definitely with you about just going, and just finding a place each evening.

PS...if you are riding 500 miles (800 kms) in a day, we gotta talk...you are riding roads that are far too straight. :stick

Me thinks Jon doth protest too much.

When will you be there? I'm there all of June and a bit. Meet?

Probably the latter part of June. The Europrez group I hang with is having their rally in the Harz mountains next summer, and I've never been there before. I could probably fit in the alps or dolomites in somewhere...

Probably the latter part of June. I could probably fit in the alps or dolomites in somewhere...

For a change, I don't know where I'll be. Dolomites for sure. Maybe a trip back to Corsica. What I should do is take a run down to Dubrovnik along the coast.

Six of one, and, a half a dozen of the other! Depends on my mood and intent for trip

When I looked back at the last dozen years of my motorcycle touring in Europe and Mexico I've used Edelweiss and Pancho Villa Moto Tours about half the times.

If you go to www.azbeemers.org/forum you'll see that we AZ Beemers have used Edelweiss and PVMT also about equally for club excursions to Europe and Mexico.

For example, if you go back to May of 2007 you will see that we planned and organized an Alps trip ourselves. And, the website of GlobalRider Alex served as inspiration and guidance for the logistics of this trip. When we AZ Beemers went to Andalusia, Spain in February of 2006 we used Edelweiss with great success.

You'll see under Upcoming Rides that we're going two dozen strong to Bahia Kino, Mexico over February 15-18. But though I speak Spanish and work in the State of Sonora, there are times that I'd much rather go on a tour with my friends Skip and Nancy Mascorro of Pancho Villa Moto Tours. www.motodiscovery.com

For example, I'll use PVMT for their Carnaval in Veracruz in 2009 for convenience!

If you go to www.fjrforum.com and to www.azbeemers.org/forum you'll see that a handful of AZ Beemers are flying into Barcelona and riding the Pyrenees for two weeks with the Italian FJR Forum Club based in Milano. The Ringleader of these FJR is Stef, a Spaniard living and working in Italy. So this trip is a mixed bag, we secured the flights and bikes, and sent Stef PayPal money for the night's lodgings.

I've never used the Edelweiss Touring Centers, but I've always thought that they were a great idea and made a lot of sense. You are definitely free to ride your own route on an Edelweiss tour. My Austrian friend Markus Hellrigl is Werner und Coral Wachter's Tour Director at Edelweiss and he is more than glad to advise you in riding your day's route on your own; and he even encourages you do so!

My wife and I are doing a Beach Tour in the Alps this summer. You can go it alone on theirs. It's two weeks, ..

You will have the time of your life!!! Get one of his GPS units, they take you on some fantastic back roads you probably could not find yourself. I would call this a must if you are the type of rider that loves to explore and get off the beaten path.

Not with Edelweiss, but been with Beach 5 times. Did it alone once when I was paying my entire family (5 bikes and 6 people), the kids owe us big time now :D

Beach is a full two weeks, family owned and operated, headquartered right here in the US, and has been doing Alps tours for 35 years.

Lodging for the most part is not elaborate by US standards, but very nice by European standards.

Do yourself and your wife a favor, go a week or two early, spend time in Europe doing what she wants to do, then hop the train from Paris or wherever, put her on a Plane home and then have fun riding. The best roads are not near shopping centers and even a city like Interlaken is small by US standards. Remember too the support van is taking a pretty direct route to the next stop and not getting the same experience at all.

No, simply because motorcycling to me is about freedom and I couldn't see myself being part of a caravan of motorcycles... I prefer to ride solo...

Beach does not require group riding at all, you can follow a guide if you like, or hook up with like minded/skilled riders which is usually the case, but YOUR option, not theirs. The only rule is to call if you are going to be late to dinner @ 7:00 or 7:30, just so they know you are safe.

There are countless other advantages to going self-guided, not just not being part of a caravan of motorcycles. As part of a tour group, be it a motorcycle tour or bus tour, one hardly communicates with anyone outside of the group. I like talking to the riders from all over Europe when atop the passes. You get a European perspective of Europe...not a North American one.

Yes it is cheaper to do it yourself, but as mentioned by others, there is a LOT of advantages to having support, maps and suggested routes, with points of interest outlined, rooms and luggage waiting, transfers to and from the airport, and 20-30 new friends when you leave. I too have met several locals, and even been invited for coffee at their home, which I and a few others did the next morning.
Even if you are a great navigator, things are different in Europe, you donÔÇÖt take route numbers, unless you are driving the Autobahn. Rather you navigate city to city, or pass to pass, just remember the town you want might not even be listed on the sign, rather the next major city on that road may be the one listed, and that could be 100 kM further up the road. Organized tours can offer ÔÇ£ValueÔÇØ to the experience, and prevent a lot of anxiety, which is priceless IMHO.

Bottom line though is DO IT, you will have the time of your life, just think it out, so the wife does too.

Beach does not require group riding at all, you can follow a guide if you like, or hook up with like minded/skilled riders which is usually the case, but YOUR option, not theirs.

I've heard that countless times. Why would I sign up for an organized tour if I were going to ride solo or with other buddies. I might as well have just rented bikes, gone self-guided for a third to maybe as high as half the tour price.

Yes it is cheaper to do it yourself, but as mentioned by others, there is a LOT of advantages to having support, maps and suggested routes, with points of interest outlined, rooms and luggage waiting, transfers to and from the airport, and 20-30 new friends when you leave. I too have met several locals, and even been invited for coffee at their home, which I and a few others did the next morning.
Even if you are a great navigator, things are different in Europe, you donÔÇÖt take route numbers, unless you are driving the Autobahn. Rather you navigate city to city, or pass to pass, just remember the town you want might not even be listed on the sign, rather the next major city on that road may be the one listed, and that could be 100 kM further up the road. Organized tours can offer ÔÇ£ValueÔÇØ to the experience, and prevent a lot of anxiety, which is priceless IMHO.

You and all the others you mention make it sound all so complicated, as if you were going to a never-heard-about-before planet.

You know when I first went over in 1995, I shipped my bike over without using any "motorcycle shipper". I did all the paperwork, customs clearing, etc. Did I have any problems? Absolutely none. That won't come into play because I usually just recommend renting.

Did I have my first nights accomodation, or any other night booked? No, and never have I booked any in my thirteen years so far...haven't had to sleep in a ditch either.

You mentioned advantages; there are as many if not more, going self-guided. After all, who hauls your luggage into your room while touring stateside?

I once had someone tell me that I couldn't have found the roads he was taken on without a guide. He described the road but didn't know where it was exactly (what happens when you go on an organized tour). I did take it and even have a video of it. Sent him pics. Never heard from him. Guess he was pissed.

By the way, roads are numbered, even the side roads...242, SS46, etc. and they are on the map.

Suggested routes? Trust me, touring companies don't have a patent on those. I have a link to a site where you can download them for FREE. Those maps of suggested motorcycle tours are put out by the ADAC; the German auto club. The link to those free maps is in my second post in the link under my sig pic.

So if people suffer anxiety attacks, are unsure of simple navigation, are uncomfortable with foreign languages, and on and on, then by all means fill your boots and empty your wallets...go organized.

Bottom line though is DO IT, you will have the time of your life, just think it out, so the wife does too.

Now that I won't disagree with.

So if people suffer anxiety attacks, are unsure of simple navigation, are uncomfortable with foreign languages, and on and on, then by all means fill your boots and empty your wallets...go organized.
Now that I won't disagree with.

I am not saying one is better than the other, but you have to admit even your screen name indicates that you are well traveled. All I am trying to do is offer some answers to the questions asked.

As mentioned I did plan 2 weeks for the entire family, but needing 3 rooms every night, I felt it prudent to pre-book lodging, again Internet makes it easy, IF you know the area. This year with just the wife and I, we just winged it and made up our plans as we went. But many want a vacation, which for some means no anxiety, justified or not.

Just like people go to all inclusive resorts, and cruises, both very popular, because some want to be on "vacation" when they are on Vacation.

Even in the US, many pre-plan all lodging, meeting spots, etc. And although I agree, the best riding is just wandering around, looking at the sky and deciding which way to go that day etc., I do enjoy some company when the day is over, to share a Beer, and socialize.

It is never really $$, but it is about value, which is personal perception. If it was only $$ we would all drive Yugo's and ride Jawa's, but we see value in riding BMW's, so we spend the cash and are hopefully happy we did.

I am not saying one is better than the other, but you have to admit even your screen name indicates that you are well traveled. All I am trying to do is offer some answers to the questions asked.

And never have I. In fact, my article states "But this is for those that would love to go after reading all those tour reports on web sites or in the magazines, but have a heart attack the minute they see what those tours cost". In other words it is aimed at those that think they could never afford to go, or could never justify the price.

I had to pick something for a screen name/username. It seemed appropriate considering my dreams of touring the world "unsupported" one day. The other one is Edelweiss due to my Austrian background.

As mentioned I did plan 2 weeks for the entire family, but needing 3 rooms every night, I felt it prudent to pre-book lodging, again Internet makes it easy, IF you know the area.

Pre-booking in your case is understandable. It also depends what month you are going. As far as knowing the area, there are links to lists of motorcycle freindly accomodations in my article; hundreds of hotels and B&Bs to stay in.

Just like people go to all inclusive resorts, and cruises, both very popular, because some want to be on "vacation" when they are on Vacation.

Thats what I'm on every year, a vacation without a schedule, because if I were on a schedule, it would be like the rest of the year. It depends how free a spirit you are. I like looking at the map the night before and choosing where I want to go the next day. That also gives me the choice of riding where the weather is more favorable.

Even in the US, many pre-plan all lodging, meeting spots, etc. And although I agree, the best riding is just wandering around, looking at the sky and deciding which way to go that day etc., I do enjoy some company when the day is over, to share a Beer, and socialize.

Pre-planning? Too much of a schedule. I might want to spend a second day in the area. No matter who you are, having to move on due to a motel reservation would feel limiting.

Having a Canadian flag on my helmet usually gets people on the next table talking when having dinner...never an issue. Another time a girl at the next table took me out to the Casino in Salzburg...I'm not a gambler, but I did walk out with more money than I paid to get in...filled up my gas tank for free the next day. :thumb

It is never really $$, but it is about value, which is personal perception. If it was only $$ we would all drive Yugo's and ride Jawa's, but we see value in riding BMW's, so we spend the cash and are hopefully happy we did.

For some it is about the money; my reason for shedding some light on going self-guided and making it a possibility. For me its about not spending more than I have to for a better product.

See you there in June. :stick

I'm going to side with Alex on this one. I spent half of my working career as a self employed ex-pat in Europe. During that time, I put a lot of touring miles on covering the Continent.
I'll save a lot of ink and state that my experiences, touring style, etc. echo Alex's.
The pros and cons of organized versus solo have been covered.
If an organized tour is your want or need - go for it.
On the other hand, I would hate to think anyone, excluded by the high tariff of the organized tour, is putting off a dream trip.
Rental BMWs are easy to come by and reasonably priced. Lodging, routes, must sees or must rides -- it's all on the Internet.
I've now got my bases covered with language, but years ago it was not so. I really can't say that speaking the language ever made or broke a situation, plus if you're riding in the right places, language most likely will be a challenge. (Rural folk are not speaking the same French, you may have learned in school)
Organized or solo - go for it.

Motard

My personal trip style and riding preference is a lot like GR, I even packed my 9, 11 and 13 year old sons in the car and took a 33 state, and Canada tour back in the 90's. The only plans I had were to head west from upstate NY, I had a few maps and the bank card. Same when motorcycle touring in the US, never make plans, although I will research good roads I would like to include. I have never taken a cruise either, just because I want to have some control of my time and actions.

Riding is an independent act, and this is the appeal to many. And like Motard, I would hate to see anyone NOT go and become a fellow addict. I understand the $$shock, but there is a lot of riders that would never try to go solo for numerous reasons (fear of the unknown). There is another group that have the $$, but like their independence and do not want to be herded, in that bus tour on two wheels.

I feel very sorry for the groups I see with a rider in the green vest in front, and one in the rear, deciding how fast, where and when you stop for Pictures, lunch, rest stops etc., not my idea of riding. I am just pointing out the fact that if you "Have the cake, you can eat it too" with the right tour operator. Not all herd you, but do provide other services that many feel more comfortable with.

Like I have said before, EVERYONE owes it to themselves to go at least once, and if you are like most, the first time will just be the first fix, on your way to addiction. :dance

Back