• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

WTB: Lowered BMW

L

Lobby

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a "lowered" BMW for my wife. This means that the bike has, for example, Works Performance shocks installed to lower the bike a bit, plus the bike has a lower seat. I desire a seat height of approx 28 inches.

Bike models of interest include R11xx(R or RS), or K75 (whichever model).

Would like ABS, system cases, windshield, etc.

Let me know, huh?

Leo - Houston, TX
polito_s@sbcglobal.net

2 cents worth...

I've lowered 4 different K units (1 radically). As just a suggestion, I'd first decide on engine size since smaller bikes can usually be lowered farther due to less mass. I'd next pick the model in that size best suited to use. I'd then find a good one, buy it & do the lowering as required. K75s are the most commonly lowered as they have enough power and yet are less mass. The Works people are very good at figuring out the best and shortest shock for your situation. I've bought 2 from them. I then level the bike by moving the front tubes up in the triple clamps. Please note that suspension rework will change the handling and feel, and may also require shortening the center and/or side stands. K75s have a "lower seat" kit which nets an inch or so. Anything different or for other models require either recutting a stock seat or having a custom seat made. I've never recut a stock, instead I made new and had them covered. A good upholstery shop can discuss workable options. The 11/03 ON has my K11LTX, lowered about 1.5", with side & centerstands reworked. Good Hunting

Hi Sarge,

Well, if we were going to get a K bike (I posted this also in the Boxer section), we would prefer a K75. My wife likes "smooth" and I believe the K75 has a counterbalancer shaft, whereas the K100's and K1100's do not.

About every 2 or 3 weeks or so, a lowered BMW appears on the internet. I almost bought a lowered R1100R a few weeks ago but I was too late. Already sold.

Still, tell me about your K11. What is the current seat height on it? My wife has a 28" inseam. Think this will work for her.

Leo said:
Hi Sarge,

Well, if we were going to get a K bike (I posted this also in the Boxer section), we would prefer a K75. My wife likes "smooth" and I believe the K75 has a counterbalancer shaft, whereas the K100's and K1100's do not.

About every 2 or 3 weeks or so, a lowered BMW appears on the internet. I almost bought a lowered R1100R a few weeks ago but I was too late. Already sold.

Still, tell me about your K11. What is the current seat height on it? My wife has a 28" inseam. Think this will work for her.

Leo..

If you watch EBay autos - and do a search under motorcycle parts for "BMW K" - you'll see things like a low-seat kit appearing once in a while. This kit is made for the K75 series, and includes the lowered seat, a revised computer box (no document section) and the rubber mount for the front on the tank.

This should gain your wife about 2-3" of leg length (well - that's the effect). You can then put 80 series tires on the K75, which will lower it about 3/4" over the standard 90 series (Bridgestone BT45's come in the correct size and as an 80 series). Your final step would be a short rear shock (Works Performance and Progressive both offer shorter rear shocks for the K75) and either moving the fork tubes up in the triple-tree, or shortening the spacer inside the forks.

If you do ALL of these - you're likely to end up with a bike with about a 27" seat height (or less).

Problems you'll have:

1. The short shock and lower tires put the bike closer to the ground (your goal!) - but the sidestand will now stand the bike much more upright, and the centerstand will be unusable without riding the rear wheel up on a 2" or so ramp.

2. The comfort of the low-seat is typical BMW. If you're thinking of taking long trips - watch on Ebay or the IBMWR marketplace for a short seat that has been recovered by Russell.

HTH, I've BTDT with the exception of the low seat - and my inseam is 27" on a tall day.

One other trick - look for boots with thick soles - mine are about 3/4" thick - which makes a big difference.

deilenberger said:
Leo..

If you watch EBay autos - and do a search under motorcycle parts for "BMW K" - you'll see things like a low-seat kit appearing once in a while. This kit is made for the K75 series, and includes the lowered seat, a revised computer box (no document section) and the rubber mount for the front on the tank.

This should gain your wife about 2-3" of leg length (well - that's the effect). You can then put 80 series tires on the K75, which will lower it about 3/4" over the standard 90 series (Bridgestone BT45's come in the correct size and as an 80 series). Your final step would be a short rear shock (Works Performance and Progressive both offer shorter rear shocks for the K75) and either moving the fork tubes up in the triple-tree, or shortening the spacer inside the forks.

If you do ALL of these - you're likely to end up with a bike with about a 27" seat height (or less).

Problems you'll have:

1. The short shock and lower tires put the bike closer to the ground (your goal!) - but the sidestand will now stand the bike much more upright, and the centerstand will be unusable without riding the rear wheel up on a 2" or so ramp.

2. The comfort of the low-seat is typical BMW. If you're thinking of taking long trips - watch on Ebay or the IBMWR marketplace for a short seat that has been recovered by Russell.

HTH, I've BTDT with the exception of the low seat - and my inseam is 27" on a tall day.

One other trick - look for boots with thick soles - mine are about 3/4" thick - which makes a big difference.

Thanks, Don. Super advice!

2 cents in..... 5 back

This is why I pipe up, I get better advice back: didn't know about spacer change in fork tubes (TNX Don). I tend to leave that stuff alone, but now I'll look deeper. Don said more & better than I did, I'd only add that a competent metal worker can shorten side and/or centerstands to restore function. I'd buy replacements & change the ones in worse condition. If you go this way, have them weld a plug into the open tube used to tab down the side stand It'll stop the rust through problem.
A writeup on the LTX is in '03 Novembers' Owners News, my K75 is in the current issue.

Leo,

I have a 1994 K75 RT with a low seat and Works short shock. At 5'8" with an inseam of 29", the bike with these modifications is very comfortable for me. I could not say that with the stock seat and shock. And with this configuration I am able to get the bike on the center stand, though it does take some hefting. Side stand is not a problem. I am sure your wife would like the smooth ride of the K75. Good luck.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. Is this bike for sale? ;)

It's ok if it's not, as the info you gave was very useful.

Sorry, Leo, but the bike is not for sale. I just bought it from a friend a year ago and am very happy with it. If you can find a K75 in good shape, it would not be difficult to get the low seat and a short shock. As I said the ride is extremely smooth and the wind protection on the RT is excellent. But it does feel top heavy and not easy to duck walk in a parking lot or turning around in a driveway. And I can definitely feel its weight when I maneuver the bike in the garage while standing alongside it. I would suggest having your wife sit on a K75 to see how she feels about the weight and height. Good luck.

Bob

I would suggest having your wife sit on a K75 to see how she feels about the weight and height. Good luck.

Leo,

Listen to Bob the best thing you could do for your wife as a rider is to help her choose the motorcycle that she really wants.

Cal Garcia
Sarasota, FL

Back