• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Shades for the eyes

oldcarkook

Subzero Scooter Idiot
I need to buy some new shades and am wondering who is using what?

I'm a prescription glasses wearer (distance only) and would like to replace my ancient Bolle aviators with something from this milleniun.

I have a neanderthal forehead and deep set eyes (like most gorillas) and need a bigger lens to keep the edge light from leaking in. This is in fact the principle reason that I have not replaced my old Bolles; they have gigantic 70s style lenses and they do a great job of working as sunglasses and blocking out the sun.

So who can tell me what about what to look for in my new shades?

Thanks!

I like Revo sunglasses. A lot. I'm very fussy about clarity of vision.

The "Mad Wrap" might work for you. The outside of the lens looks like a blue mirrored finish, but looking through them it seems much more neutral than that and accents the contrast.

Just avoid the polarized ones if you ride looking through a face shield.

I've always prefered the Serengeti Drivers lenses. They are excellent in many light conditions including rain and fog in which they reduce the glare without cutting the light. They are a photo reactive lens, so they darken to provide more protection in bright sunlight. They are available in modern styles too. They're not ZZ Top approved "Cheap Sunglasses" though, my latest pair set me back $200 Cdn.

New shades for the eyes

I wear trifocals so when I bought my RT I could not get the large sun shades that fit over my trifocals. I went to my nieces opitcal
shop and her husband recommended Oakley wrap around.

They look pretty much like any other wrap around sun shade.
When my pipe band was in competition in Kansas City last year
they did not want me to wear the old large sun shades I wore
over my glasses, now I can wear these as they are much smaller.

They are made of some sort of composite material and are very light weight. I am very happy with them and I think a lot about
protecting my vision from the uv rays.

By the way, what kind of old cars are you into?

Gerald

lkchris said:

Damn, I just bought a pair of Willey X glasses. Which I like, but those panoptx look sweet and RX, too. Thnks for the link. Next time.

Also, a safety bit copped from another thread: Don't want polorized glasses on a bike. The glare reduction could make you miss slick spots in the road.

lkchris said:

These are great! That is if you do not have a strong prescription and need a flatter lense.

But, they are very knowledgable and won't sell you the product if they think it will not work for you.

I tried and my eyes are too bad, they were extremely helpful.

Emoto said:
I like Revo sunglasses. A lot. I'm very fussy about clarity of vision.

The "Mad Wrap" might work for you. The outside of the lens looks like a blue mirrored finish, but looking through them it seems much more neutral than that and accents the contrast.

Just avoid the polarized ones if you ride looking through a face shield.

Why should one avoid wearing polarized lens when using a face shield????

Cuervo,

Thanks for the information. I've noticed the color changes, but haven't thought about missing road hazards. Somethings seem to pop-up more, guess other things might show less.....

One thing I do when shopping for sunglasses is check them for distortion. I hold them out at arm's length and look through them at things with lots of straight lines in them and look for curving when viewed through the glasses. Avoiding distortion means your depth perception is less affected, and also there is minimal difference between where you see things and where they actually are. I also look for large lenses for good peripheral coverage. Of course these two factors mean I don't wear the modern hip school of small bug-eye-looking shades. The best I've found yet are good old Ray-ban Aviators. Light and effective for about a hundred bucks, and available locally. I'm not saying the slick exotic expensive stuff rates less well, just that I haven't seen it in person to evaluate it.
Best of luck and let us know what you find!

Check out the Ray Ban Daddy-O glasses. I wear lineless bifocals of a fairly strong prescription. I had touble finding frames that offered good coverage yet would accept my presciption without distortion. I ride behind a S type fairing (picks up bugs and throws them right into your face!) and usually leave my face shield open. They are very durable and I think that I look darn good lookin' in em!:D Lasic surgery sounded like a good option but as I found out, not every prescription is correctable. Glasses are a major pain!

Ray-Ban RB3147

I love my Ray-Ban sunglasses (Model Predator 3147/RB3147). My prescription is mild enough to work in a curved lens. One thing to keep in mind is that anti-fog goop like Zook works better on lenses without scratch resistant coatings.

My clear glasses have the scratch resistant coating & they fog-up much faster even with the Zook stuff. My sunglasses without the scratch resistant coating work great & almost never fog up. If/when they do fog-up I re-apply Zook & I am good to go.

I also have a big gorilla head & had a tuff time finding glasses that worked good & looked good. I like these a lot FWIW.

Zook?

For sunglasses I visit the local lenscrafters, they have a lot of styles and you can walk out in about an hour with them. You can also select a different reflective coating that what was originally offered by the sunglass manufacturer.

I tried the Zook, it made my shield and glasses fog like crazy. I use a product called Anti-fog. You can actually see through the moisture that collects on the shield. I have even had it work on days so cold you could see your breath inside the helmet.

I have never tried Zook on my shield, I have a fog city installed & it works great. I only use Zook on my glasses & so far it has worked pretty well.

The fog city laminate works really well. the only thing I dont like is the weird light refractions at night, but you get used to them after a while. It WILL NOT FOG if installed properly. I have used one for over a year and it is still holding up fine.

I've been using Fog City shields for the better part of a decade and swear by them.

And lorazepam is right, proper installation is key to success with them. Make sure your shield is completely clean before you install the FC shield.

Fog city install tip

I had trouble lining up the Fog City on my face shield once I had pulled the thin adhesive tape backing off. I ended up with it positioned a little wonky. This is mostly impart to the denseness of the installer not the product.

I bought another Fog City when I replaced the face shield of my Aria Quantum. The next Fog City install went much, much better. I positioned the Fog City with the adhesive tape backing still on & marked the position in a few places with a dry erase pen. Then I pulled the backing off & started from the center & worked my way toward the edges lining up the marks I had made. Once I was finished I wiped off the dry erase marks & the Fog City was positioned perfectly.

I would not doubt if this were in the install directions that came with the Fog City. Then again how would I know, I dont need no stinking directions

Back