Thread: Ursula and Gerdy all geared up and cleaned up for their photo shoot in Dothan

Ursula and Gerdy all geared up and cleaned up for their photo shoot in Dothan

Big day for the bikes and their riders. A photographer in Dothan wants to shoot the bikes and the riders for a project. I got the bikes as clean as I could today. Well keep you posted. If your following Rhonda's mentorship thread, you know this ride will present quite a few challenges for her. I think she's up for it. Wish us luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 R1200RT Ursula Von Reisetourer
    2001 F650 GS Gerdy Von Gelande Strasse
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Within her imperfections there... dwells perfection in mine eyes."

Thumbs up

Looking Good!
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

Well, mission accomplished. We got there and back mostly unscathed. We needed gas in Gerdy so we stopped at the Ethanol free gas station on Main Street prior to getting down town. Traffic was heavy, as expected, as it was 1530L and it only added to the complexity of getting in and out. We got into the suicide lane but had to make a well timed tight left turn, followed by another well timed left turn dodging rapidly building traffic. As we pulled in to the pumps we had to go across the raised concrete turtles and a lady walked between me (lead,) and Rhonda (trail). At this point Rhonda had become task saturated, worried about hitting the mind numb pedestrian she grabbed that front break and went down to the right. Toppling incidence she was unhurt. Bikes new side cases have some personality on the right side now. When we arrived at the parking lot the photographer showed up exactly on time we were 15 minutes early there was a man there in the empty parking lot that would have made me nervous but I had the glock. He was very violent and irrational beating his chest, yelling, waving a red bandana back and forth, lifting his shirt up over his head. He kept his distance, and I'm glad things didn't escalate. We rode home into a sunset and darkness and made it home safe despite several wrecks and near wrecks of cagers being stupid around us. I look forward to seeing the pictures. I'll post them here when they come in.
    BMWMOA # 143779

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Certainly glad that in all the excitement no one was hurt! Looking forward to the pictures. Have Rhonda focus on all the things that went right and not the one thing that went wrong. Happens to the best of us eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    Certainly glad that in all the excitement no one was hurt! Looking forward to the pictures. Have Rhonda focus on all the things that went right and not the one thing that went wrong. Happens to the Rest of us eventually.
    Agreed, and fixed it for you

How many " how do I paint my sidecases?" threads have come around?
    Gas stations have many hazards, from walking Zombies, some with phones in their ear, to the diesel spill right where you set your foot down, to the polished surface that is ALWAYS slick when the least bit damp.
    The raised tank access panels with the metal covers that are random in placement has caused a few spills among the best/rest of us as well. I have helped two of our LONG time riding buddies pick up their bikes in recent times due to those.

Go Rhonda
    You had a moment....don't let it be a discouragement.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I try to be encouraging and analytical at the same, always a challenge. When I break down the cause of an incident, I initially focus on the mechanics that she can effect (like grabbing that front brake or having a mental state of anything but calm and relaxed) I then expand to "present and contributing" factors like the environment. I told Rhonda when we got home that she encountered about as much as one can experience on a bike. I know there's much more out there, but my point was the changing dynamics of the environment.

From a teaching perspective, venturing beyond the controlled environment of a parking lot or track to public roads, was challenging. As much as I attempted to control the riding environment to her skill level the environment could immediately and without warning present cascading obstacles and challenges. This, in some degree is a factor of enjoyment for experienced riders, but for the one learning... The environment goes from challenging to harmful.

To fill you in on the driving environment yesterday: on the way there, I maneuvered to the left lane as the blue light on the right side of the road were for a traffic accident, a pick up truck upside down with a body trapped beneath it, to say the least distracting, after the toppling incident, I had to get her head back in the game, she had lost some confidence and started struggling with tasks, like starting and stopping and staying in your lane in a turn (this really concerned me as we were a long way from home and still had a lot of riding before us). I had to be a little drill sergeant like in the headset to snap her mind back in the game. On the way back close to home on the enterprise circle, a 4 car pile up in opposite traffic, police responding, at the same time in front of us at a red light a delivery truck "suddenly" decided he didn't want to wait at the light anymore and maneuvered that big truck in the right turn lane, without checking the lane being clear, an oncoming car in the lane was able to "shoot the gap" left by the truck in the lane. Rhonda and I were 4' behind that near miss, with our feet on the deck, not much I could of done about that one. I took her out to eat (in Ariel, our four wheeled Bimmer) when we got home.

With every challenge accomplished, comes increased confidence, and I'm looking forward to building on this new level of capability. Soon I will be kicking her out of the nest to fly on her own.
    BMWMOA # 143779

Tell Rhonda to just " fuhget about it" as it happens to us all, and when I first started riding, it happened to me A LOT. Hang in there and remember, that the more you ride the better you get. Practice makes perfect, as long as you are practicing the right things. I know she has a good teacher, so just keep at it. Best regards... Gail

The photo shoot

BMWMOA # 143779

Thumbs up

I like it!
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

GREAT picture!
    Gail Thorne
    G650GS
    KLR650

On the positive side: Going through unexpectedly difficult situations successfully is a big training event and, in the long run, a positive morale builder. You did it! You didn't volunteer to do it, but you did it! You suddenly got a lot of rider training in a short time. A net gain, I'd say. Build on it and enjoy the next ride, and the next...
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

Another photo from the shoot published.

BMWMOA # 143779