• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment: Weekend 12/8/07

BMW MOA Camera Club sounds great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I propose we use a camera lens cover with a rondel for the Camera Club logo. Please check with the fashion police in the Fatherland because that would look cool. :) We could make Tom our leader ! Would we use terms as Director, Producer, Gripper and Best Boy/ Girl instead of Grand Wizard, Poopah, or flash ?

Sounds great lets start the year off with a snap. Lets blanket the video iRiders into the mix...................it is snowing here and I am starting to think inside things BMW..........................Hey we could call ourselves iRiders ? :thumb

EyeRiders.

Our motto: Let's go for a ride and make it snappy!

:ha

Thanks Tom!
I'm sorry the flowers didn't meet the snuff, for review, but thank you!
It's always nice to read through these submissions and feedback. Fun stuff! :thumb

I really like this simple composition from Rapid-Roy. Maybe it's a picture of an iron candle holder, but I think it's a picture of shadows. The extreme angle of the source light adds so much interest to this shot. To be picky, I would have shifted the camera ever-so-slightly to the left, trying to make even the margins of the right-most candle and the left-most shadow. It's a minor detail but they often make the most difference.
Yep, the pattern of the shadows is what caught my eye. You are amazing Tom.
Thank you. I wasn't going to submit anything this week, I wasn't happy with most of the shots I took. I am no Kbasa.
I may try that and see how it turns out lighted, and at a different angle.

There is a clue in this picture about why my wife found this in the clearance section. Bonus points to anybody who picks it up. Hint: it's in the shadows

Oh - and lest I be thought rude, a big thank you to Tom for keeping this rolling and all the folks that contribute here. I almost see a camera club forming within the MOA here.

Oddly (or not) enough I had been thinking that maybe a photography forum might not be a bad idea. Certainly there seems to be a developing interest in sharing photograph and the discussion of such. And too for many photography and riding seem to go hand in hand.

On the local clubs forum we started an "Impressions" area for sharing photo's that were not by ncessarily motorcycle related, though many were taken during a ride.

On the LT forum they also have a photography forum. With the on going assignments here having a place for them might be nice and would make them easier to find. I’ve spent some time going back though ones I missed and have learned a few new things as a result.

Perhaps having it broken down into several sections.

1. Photo assignments
2. Impressions (where folks could share photos they have taken other than ride reports) and maybe even asking for opinions on a certain shot.
3. Tricks and Tips, for sharing ideas, things you have learned etc.

While I know there are plenty of other forums for photography and such, it still seems that on here, esp. one of a more informal nature might be a good idea. I know from several others I'm on it can sometimes be a little daunting when there are many members who are either pro, semi-pro or advanced amaturs. Perhaps too it would attract some new faces and maybe get more folks involved with the ongoing threads. Keeping it informal might makes folks who might not otherwise post, more comfortable with giving it (photography) a try, or just posting pics, either from a ride or otherwise. Just a thought.

RM

Oddly (or not) enough I had been thinking that maybe a photography forum might not be a bad idea. Certainly there seems to be a developing interest in sharing photograph and the discussion of such. And too for many photography and riding seem to go hand in hand.

On the local clubs forum we started an "Impressions" area for sharing photo's that were not by ncessarily motorcycle related, though many were taken during a ride.

On the LT forum they also have a photography forum. With the on going assignments here having a place for them might be nice and would make them easier to find. IÔÇÖve spent some time going back though ones I missed and have learned a few new things as a result.

Perhaps having it broken down into several sections.

1. Photo assignments
2. Impressions (where folks could share photos they have taken other than ride reports) and maybe even asking for opinions on a certain shot.
3. Tricks and Tips, for sharing ideas, things you have learned etc.

While I know there are plenty of other forums for photography and such, it still seems that on here, esp. one of a more informal nature might be a good idea. I know from several others I'm on it can sometimes be a little daunting when there are many members who are either pro, semi-pro or advanced amaturs. Perhaps too it would attract some new faces and maybe get more folks involved with the ongoing threads. Keeping it informal might makes folks who might not otherwise post, more comfortable with giving it (photography) a try, or just posting pics, either from a ride or otherwise. Just a thought.

RM

Good thoughts. I've been a Dgrin member forever, but I've only got so much bandwidth. A photography forum would be fantastic. With a little tuning over the winter, I bet we'd see some pretty amazing ride reports next summer. :nod

Orange thing Rocketman is right

Your supposition that is round is correct, softness of focus rather than light. I will post a picture of it in it's entirety tonight, but it will be later tonight when I get home. Thanks for all the guesses.

Your supposition that is round is correct, softness of focus rather than light. I will post a picture of it in it's entirety tonight, but it will be later tonight when I get home. Thanks for all the guesses.

Good call, RM. I missed it. But there is light fall off as well as reduced depth of focus. Things farther are darker, generally.

Can't wait to find out what it is.

All this talk of a photography forum is gettin' me excited. Don't tease me now. . . .

I vote for Kbasa's name and motto. Mmmmmm. . . . Punny. . . .

There is a clue in this picture about why my wife found this in the clearance section. Bonus points to anybody who picks it up. Hint: it's in the shadows

PC090033.jpg

Irregular votive holder in position number 4? (from the left)

Good call, RM. I missed it. But there is light fall off as well as reduced depth of focus. Things farther are darker, generally.

Can't wait to find out what it is.

All this talk of a photography forum is gettin' me excited. Don't tease me now. . . .

I vote for Kbasa's name and motto. Mmmmmm. . . . Punny. . . .

i'm actually quite serious, but have no clue how one goes about forwarding the idea...

if only we had someone here who knows someone on the board or something....
:brow

RM

PC090033.jpg

Irregular votive holder in position number 4? (from the left)

Hmmmm, i was going to say number four (from the left) as well, but didn't you first say number 5, or am I going wacko (don't answer that!)

Shaddow of loop is pointed the opposite way as the others and the glass is maybe not as well made or otherwise differant since the rim seems to have of bumpieness. though with glass such imperfections are not unusual, esp if it is older or hand made.

RM

I think Tom ands RM nailed it. The hook was bent the wrong way on the 4th one from the left.
You can see it in the shadows. *Note to self Do not try and fool Tom, he has sharp eyes. Still try and fool RM though, just because*:laugh
My clue was too good wasn't it?

Last edited:
I think Tom ands RM nailed it. The hook was bent the wrong way on the 4th one from the left.
You can see it in the shadows. *Note to self Do not try and fool Tom, he has sharp eyes. Still try and fool RM though, just because*:laugh

ha... I had posted the same answer and then thought ... I don't really know what a votive is... so I deleted and went to look it up. Damn... there's never a shortage of things to learn here! -Bob

Hmmmm, i was going to say number four (from the left) as well, but didn't you first say number 5, or am I going wacko (don't answer that!)

Shaddow of loop is pointed the opposite way as the others and the glass is maybe not as well made or otherwise differant since the rim seems to have of bumpieness. though with glass such imperfections are not unusual, esp if it is older or hand made.

RM

RM got it, not me. I noticed the hook going in the different direction, but I didn't think it as an imperfection. To be honest, by "votive holder" I meant the glass.

Grew up Catholic. I lit a thousand votive candles.

RM: You are not going crazy. I DID say five and went back and edited it.

note to self: it would be fiendishly easy to make RM think he's losing his mind. . . . from now on immediately alter all replies just slightly.

My two francs

I think the crew is worried on you getting burned out. I suggest you make the assignment and everybody sticks to the rules ( I found that Titling or is it Titleing) the photo was both fun and made me think............:banghead Everybody self-edits there weekend masterpieces and submits one photo to the "Assignment" thread. In addition to the Assignment there is a companion thread of the same topic called "Gallery" Here is where we can post our other masterpieces and frolic about with comments regarding our fellow submitters ( uh, that's a word, ain't it?) work. You can peruse the gallery and add pictures from there to your critiques when they illustrate techniques that we can learn from.

Oh, that's not a cat in "Good boy" that is a person walking their dog inside the mall. It's the upper level of a staircase I was on. I saw this exact image, went the 5 minutes back to my house to retrieve my camera, and lurked on the landing waiting for another shopper to parade their dog inside the mall as for the Swiss and the French walking dogs inside malls and restaurants is a "pattern".

Boy are you in for it now!:stick

RM

(not sure how, but I'll think of something, well given enough time anyway!):wave

RM got it, not me. I noticed the hook going in the different direction, but I didn't think it as an imperfection. To be honest, by "votive holder" I meant the glass.

Grew up Catholic. I lit a thousand votive candles.

RM: You are not going crazy. I DID say five and went back and edited it.

[SIZE="1"[COLOR="Red"]]note to self: it would be fiendishly easy to make RM think he's losing his mind. . . . from now on immediately alter all replies just slightly.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I HEARD THAT!! Believe me I don't need any help in that dept. thank you very much.

RM

(something to do with surviving the 60's and 70's, I think???):brad

If I can't make it, I'll send a picture with Hodag.
Here is my pattern.
PC090033.jpg

Well obviously there's the hook facing the wrong way on votive 4, but isn't the real error a taupe wall colour with a black decoration, where the main metal elements are not barley sugar twist with a blue and lime wash distressed effect, and that glass, well let's just say it's not cut glass Waterford is it?

I must stop looking at Mrs L's magazines!

Well obviously there's the hook facing the wrong way on votive 4, but isn't the real error a taupe wall colour with a black decoration, where the main metal elements are not barley sugar twist with a blue and lime wash distressed effect, and that glass, well let's just say it's not cut glass Waterford is it?

I must stop looking at Mrs L's magazines!
No, I must wash the wall. It's white.:laugh

Don't you dare malign that, we paid 6 dollars for it.
What you are really saying is I should stop letting my wife go shopping alone. That is where she is right now!:banghead

Boy are you in for it now!:stick

RM

(not sure how, but I'll think of something, well given enough time anyway!):wave
Sorry. I feel you are a kindred spirit.:brad :stick

I am worried about hurting myself laughing should we ever meet in person. It's a good thing.
:wave

No, I must wash the wall. It's white.:laugh

Don't you dare malign that, we paid 6 dollars for it.
What you are really saying is I should stop letting my wife go shopping alone. That is where she is right now!:banghead

Women and scented candles? Where in the evolutionary calendar did those two converge?

Mrs L, can rarely take a bath, without first bedecking the bathroom like a saint's shrine. And all those years striving for electricity...wasted!

White you say. I'll give you eggshell...now I'm frightening myself!

Back