• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment: Weekend 12/8/07

R

RandallIsland

_xy-1267843_1

This is the one! ... unless I shoot something better tomorrow...
_xy-1267845_1

Last edited:
Patterns of Life

Taken today and yes I did photoshop them insofar as highlighting My Father’s Stone and the Black & White conversion method I used that allows for the adjustment of the different color channels as apposed to a straight gray-scale conversion, but considering the emotional tie I have to the subject matter of the second and third in the series I wanted them to reflect and (or at least attempt) to instill that emotional tie in the viewer. Hopefully I did in some small manor obtain that goal.

Also in each I tried to show more than one pattern i.e. physical arrangements as well as the progression of life as a pattern.

Patterns of Life

Arlington Cemetery 1

Offered Without Comment

DSC_4182-gs-web.jpg

RM

Patterns of Life 2

Patterns of Life

Arlington Cemetery 2

Father and Son

father-son-1-bw-web.jpg

RM

Patterns of Life 3

Patterns of Life

Arlington Cemetery 3

Still Connected

connected--bw-web.jpg

RM

Patterns of Life 4

Patterns of Life

Arlington Cemetery 4

Flight

flight-2-bw-web.jpg

RM

Last edited:
It's not my role to do anything administrative here, but I notice a pattern that we could find leads to SNC being inundated and hence we will lose the input we all find so valuable. What I see is, that we are submitting more than one image each.

Can I suggest that when we submit multiple images, we indicate the 'ONE' we want SNC to pass comment on. That way we get to display our creative juices but without putting an onerous demand on SNC's time?

This thread is incredibly successful and I'd not want to see us bring about its demise, through our own enthusiasm.

Deciding which image is 'the one' and working out why, is in itself educational.

It's a suggestion, a thought, and nothing more.

Frozen Yesterday

A bit of snowblowing yesterday in milder temps (Mary laughs when the boy-me finds any excuse to start a motor), but today is a sunny, frigid Sunday morning. Looking for a "pattern". Found this imbedded in some remaining patches of snow (note bits of grass). Anyway, my contribution is not only a pattern left by my 8hp buddy but also an image of a pending recurring pattern for the coming couple of months. New patterns, however, will return in the Spring:clap -Bob
DSCN18951.jpg

Patterns of Life

Arlington Cemetery 3

Still Connected

connected--bw-web.jpg

RM

You know, this is really a wonderful series. The photograph above is nothing short of remarkable. I love its stark symmetry, the rich, dark tones, the tentative denim-clad hand emerging from the left. The name, Tank, the technical jargon, the birth date. . . . What an amazing shot. Your composition decision is probably its chief strength, but there are so many others. Your effort to trigger an emotional response in your viewer is successful.

I've been kicking around the idea of having an assignment involving a series. Yours helps me to see what a good idea that is.

Patterns of Life

Arlington Cemetery 3

Still Connected

RM

These are wonderful images, and are well thought-out. They also show the drama which can be added with a little post-processing. I would be interested in seeing the originals for reference.

-Alex

It's not my role to do anything administrative here, but I notice a pattern that we could find leads to SNC being inundated and hence we will lose the input we all find so valuable. What I see is, that we are submitting more than one image each.

Can I suggest that when we submit multiple images, we indicate the 'ONE' we want SNC to pass comment on. That way we get to display our creative juices but without putting an onerous demand on SNC's time?

This thread is incredibly successful and I'd not want to see us bring about its demise, through our own enthusiasm.

Deciding which image is 'the one' and working out why, is in itself educational.

It's a suggestion, a thought, and nothing more.

This is a very thoughtful suggestion and I appreciate it and the impetus behind it.

I have been doing this myself, to some degree, sometimes choosing one or two from among several to comment on. I would encourage photographers to indicate which image they are keen to hear about. You can just say C&C (comment and critique) on this one.

Either way, I don't foresee the thread going away anytime soon, not until you pry it from my cold, dead hand. . . . :rofl

I'm sorry to seem like the grumpy git here, but whilst I do very much enjoy the composition, the concept and almost all other elements of the Rocketman image, he's crossed into post production, therefore, welcome to my world.
I used to commission images for various projects and most if not all had been through some post production or another.

Let's just say, I'd have regarded the image by RMan as "work in progress".
I'm guessing that in the hurry to get the images posted there was an element of rush. To me I see about 45 minutes more work required. Enlarging the image and working at near pixel level around the fingers, and within the bounded areas of the alpha numerics...but I'm sure RM sees this too. The lack of post prod does work in the circle around the cross however, I'd leave that alone. Although, on further contemplation, I might take out the area bounded by the cross, I think that could pay visual dividends.

It's a powerful picture indeed.

Adobe!

Hand made adobe blocks form a pattern on the office wall !

Attachments

• Adobe Pattern 1.JPG
    Adobe Pattern 1.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 134
I'm sorry to seem like the grumpy git here, but whilst I do very much enjoy the composition, the concept and almost all other elements of the Rocketman image, he's crossed into post production, therefore, welcome to my world.
I used to commission images for various projects and most if not all had been through some post production or another.

Let's just say, I'd have regarded the image by RMan as "work in progress".
I'm guessing that in the hurry to get the images posted there was an element of rush. To me I see about 45 minutes more work required. Enlarging the image and working at near pixel level around the fingers, and within the bounded areas of the alpha numerics...but I'm sure RM sees this too. The lack of post prod does work in the circle around the cross however, I'd leave that alone. Although, on further contemplation, I might take out the area bounded by the cross, I think that could pay visual dividends.

It's a powerful picture indeed.

you're quite right and I have been doing a bit more on them though I am leaving the dark area around the fingers and the shadows of the screw heads alone as I think it adds some depth to an otherwise flat image. I minimized the post processing for these here in light of posting them here and didn't want to cross to far over into post processing as the main theme here is as it comes out of the camera as much as possible. I also wish that the loose cuff of my jacket hadn't creeped into the frame. I may rub that out or go back for a re-shoot.
You're right thou that I did not see the dark areas inside the writing till now. Having gotten back into using RAW I am now seeing the advantages once more though is means having to process every shot, it also means having to more closely analyze each one and deciding is this one really any good and thus worth working on. Its making me evaluate my photos more, a direct result of participating in this series of threads. Now I just need to learn to limit my entires!:) I admit to being something of a post whore with my photographs.

RM

It was a dangerous walk across my driveway to get this photo. We have received a good amount of freezing rain, today. My driveway is a solid sheet of ice. Some of the ice buildup can be seen in my photo, as well. As usual, NO editing has been done, aside from rotating it to be upright and scaling. I feel the angle is a bit off, and it blurs sooner than I would like it to. I think that's due to the photo being taken with the camera "on end" instead of "flat". The latter would lead to a wider photo. I tried that but it was giving me even less of what I wanted. :)

potw-pattern.jpg

230510395-M.jpg

C&C please. I couldn't seem to get the yellow in focus and it kept picking the red or black as the focal point, despite much trying. I'm also tempted to go back to the torch/mouth trick, as the yellow from the reading lamp bulb is too yellow/warm for my taste. So sharper colours and better focus C&C please.

230547617-M.jpg

Here it is again colour corrected (touch too blue maybe) but how could I have achieved this without software?

Last edited:
This became the pattern of my birthday ride.

I'd stop for just one more picture . . .

Attachments

• TakingPictures.jpg
    TakingPictures.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 106
And then Paul would come back to remind me that we were going to run out of daylight. Maybe we shouldn't have gone all the way to Candaleria.

Attachments

• Paul.jpg
    Paul.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 106
Back