• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

09 Site Idea

How about Road America?
Plenty of Camping, they have Motorcycle Races, a Motorcycle School, and there was 2 weekends open in July.
Mmmmm curves.
roadamerica.jpg

I think the idea of using a race track is great all though it could be on the $$$$$ side. I use to be involved in PCA (Porsche Club of America) a few years ago. To rent a track like Watkins Glen ( which would be a great place for a national) the price I think was 30k for three days. I'm sure it's more today. Then again they have a wine festival there and I can't believe they pay that price.....of course no on track activities with that! There is also a very long waiting list to rent some of the nicer tracks. There's a new track (road course) being built right now in southern New Jersey. It opens next July......it's already booked for 2008.

MOA has already done it, too.

Laguna Seca, 1986.

21+ years ago is a very long time ago. Barber's was in this century. How many members attended at that time? I suspect the attendance would be near what the RA attendance is now. That makes venues much easier to find.

track day at MOA Nat'l

The MOA also had a wonderful track Day as part of the Trenton, ON Rally at the Shannonville track. Lots of fun for many different classes of riders, bikes and abilities. I even got to take a few laps with my sidecar hauling around a Speedvision cameraman filming a bunch of Sled Dogs mixing it up with a few of the BMW NA ride leaders. I'll leave it to a few other Dogs to telll you about how the last corner turned out....but it is on film somewhere. :thumb

Friedle
3 wheel Sled Dog

It would be a shame if the beer sales issue killed the idea dead in its tracks without thorough discussion. Would letting the contract vendor sell beer in the beer tent change that experience, other than maybe the cost?

The beer tent should be considered sacred. The traditions are part of what makes the Nationals so exceedingly great.

1. we serve each other - it is hugely better that way - Makes it more of a party as opposed to a commercial event.
2. the prices are reasonable - and this is not just about money - feeling ripped off as one can at a commercial event lessens the experience
3. the selections are regional - contract vendors tend to just sell corporate swill.

I like the idea of having a Track Day like experience available on-site, but if it will destroy our beer tent tradition, then I say Dead in its Tracks! Dead!

Back