Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: '02 K1200LT abs brake failure warning light

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2

    '02 K1200LT abs brake failure warning light

    Recently purchased a '02 LT w/ 29K mi. Getting an alternating ( 1 sec flashing ) general warning light & ABS brake failure light when braking at anything more than light stopping. Can pull over, turn bike off, re-start bike and lights re-set until another med or hard braking situation. (lights will not come on under light braking) Tried using front brakes only under hard braking only once did lights start flashing. Tried using rear brake only, lights flashed immediately. Front brake reservoir is full, rear looks to be 1/2" below MAX line. Local dealer (185 mi away) service dept. stated to check rear pad thickness (measures 3.5 mm, book states min. is 1.5mm) that as pads wear more fluid needed to squeeze pads together. However, book states bike w/ Integral ABS, the brake fluid level in the reservoir does NOT drop as pads wear.......any advice?
    Last edited by 98lee; 12-30-2011 at 05:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    133

    abs lights

    This 02... how old is the battery?
    I purchased a 95k1100RS this past July. The battery in it was new but it wasn't the proper size or amperage. I kind of knew I needed a new battery. Got one from digi-key in Minnesota. Sealed battery. Might be a 28 amp hour.
    Anyways replaced the battery and the alternating warning lights have never appeared!
    Also I helped a fellow named Steve from Rochester, MN. He had sent a note via this web site. He had purchased a new battery last spring when buying a K bike.

    I had figured if the battery was new then it might be some other problem. However after a ride to a subway shop in Wabasha, MN the bike would not start.
    Replaced the NEW battery with a lawn tractor type battery.

    K bike fired right off! No ABS lights flashing. He was able to ride it home instead of trailering it back to Rochester.

    Check the battery with a voltohmeter. If the voltage is under 12 volts... replace

    tim lindstrom
    columbia heights, mn

  3. #3
    Curmudgeon At Large Bobmws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Astatula, FL
    Posts
    1,141
    Quote Originally Posted by shunte3 View Post
    Recently purchased a '02 LT w/ 29K mi. Getting an alternating ( 1 sec flashing ) general warning light & ABS brake failure light when braking at anything more than light stopping. Can pull over, turn bike off, re-start bike and lights re-set until another med or hard braking situation. (lights will not come on under light braking) Tried using front brakes only under hard braking only once did lights start flashing. Tried using rear brake only, lights flashed immediately. Front brake reservoir is full, rear looks to be 1/2" below MAX line. Local dealer (185 mi away) service dept. stated to check rear pad thickness (measures 3.5 mm, book states min. is 1.5mm) that as pads wear more fluid needed to squeeze pads together. However, book states bike w/ Integral ABS, the brake fluid level in the reservoir does NOT drop as pads wear.......any advice?
    Top up you brake fluid reservoir. This has been a common problem on K12RS'. Won't hurt to check out the battery condition too, if it's original it may be marginal.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

  4. #4
    SNC1923
    Guest
    I experienced a failure on my '04 RT relating to the battery. Cheap and easy fix if that's the problem. Something about the voltage dropping below 11.something if I remember correctly.

  5. #5
    JimmyMcEnroe
    Guest

    Flashing

    I had a similar problem with my '95 LT. I found this link very helpful!

    http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html

    All the best,
    Jimmy

  6. #6
    Registered User Beemer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, Ill
    Posts
    1,030

    Unhappy Resurecting an old thread, but a new problem to me

    I have a 2004 K1200GT. On a recent cold weather ride I had both the dash Brake warning lights start to flash (at once). It seems to happen after I apply the brakes - they will remain flashing until I kill and restart the bike.

    Facts and data -

    The battery is original, but I keep it on a tender when not riding.

    The Service Manager at the local BMW shop tells me that they really don't know what the problem is, but there seems to be no ABS at the rear wheel - the explanation from there ranging to needing to replace the ABS Computer to the ABS Pump - a $3000 exercise. (Sounds like 'swaptronics' to me - on my dime).

    The fluid has been changed according to the manual - but I ride it hard.

    The bike seems to brake normally, but obviously I try not to lock up the brakes, so haven't tested the ABS functionalty.

    Gentlemen - your thoughts and ideas?

  7. #7
    Registered User 58058D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    Posts
    734
    Testing the rear ABS is very easy IF the '04 behaves as the 2000 does.... Just running down your street, apply full pressure to the rear brake only and see if it initiates the ABS. I do it occasionally to assure I have rear brakes, as the rear brakes sort of seem worthless anyway. My ABS system is a different animal than yours, but there are plenty of threads out there to search regarding ABS computers failing and/or ABS units failing and requiring replacement. Not common, but certainly not unheard of. Those threads might shed light on whether your dealer should be able to know what the problem is.....
    Occasionally the older style units failed as mine did. I got a used unit at 1/4 the price of new ($1500) and had it installed by the dealer with a warranty rear seal replacement.
    If your battery is the original.....wow. I have never had a stock BMW battery last more than two or three years. Even if you keep it on a smart charger, I would think it time to replace it.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

  8. #8
    Registered User jgr451's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Left Coast Canada
    Posts
    1,365
    04 KGT ,I agree with Bob Weiss ,top up the rear brake reservoir,even a small amount low will trigger the flashing red.Course,it could be the batt too!
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.

  9. #9
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by jgr451 View Post
    04 KGT ,I agree with Bob Weiss ,top up the rear brake reservoir,even a small amount low will trigger the flashing red.Course,it could be the batt too!
    One more vote to top up the rear master cylinder reservoir. There is a sensor built into the cap that triggers an "ABS" failure light pattern if the fluid is low. If it's down as much as you say I will bet your rear pads are seriously worn. On my '03 K1200RS the rears wear at more than twice the rate as the fronts, and that is using the front brake lever almost exclusively, but for parking lot speeds (this is also with the integral "whizzy" brake system which I believe you have).

    If the pads are that worn, I would replace them first rather than top up the reservoir and then have to sop up the excess fluid pushed back into the MC when you do replace the rear pads.

    Yes, and as others have said, it could also be a battery. If the battery can't keep something like 11.5 or 11.8 volts while starting, the ABS system will fault.

    Hope this helps.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  10. #10
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,248
    And don't forget that there are two containers built into the rear reservoir.
    Last edited by lostboy; 12-31-2011 at 03:22 AM.

  11. #11
    Registered User Beemer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, Ill
    Posts
    1,030

    Interesting -

    I'll check the rear pads and have ordered a new battery. Years of working with computer systems have taught me to check the easy stuff first.

    Thanks Folks! I'll keep you all posted.

  12. #12
    Registered User RapidRoadRescue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indian Creek, IL 60061 (AKA Vernon Hills, IL)
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer01 View Post
    I have a 2004 K1200GT. On a recent cold weather ride I had both the dash Brake warning lights start to flash (at once). It seems to happen after I apply the brakes - they will remain flashing until I kill and restart the bike.

    Facts and data -

    The battery is original, but I keep it on a tender when not riding.

    The Service Manager at the local BMW shop tells me that they really don't know what the problem is, but there seems to be no ABS at the rear wheel - the explanation from there ranging to needing to replace the ABS Computer to the ABS Pump - a $3000 exercise. (Sounds like 'swaptronics' to me - on my dime).

    The fluid has been changed according to the manual - but I ride it hard.

    The bike seems to brake normally, but obviously I try not to lock up the brakes, so haven't tested the ABS functionalty.

    Gentlemen - your thoughts and ideas?
    I know what is wrong,ABS pump went bad but swapping new one will not fix the entire issue.I found the rear brake lever will not retract all way up and micro switch was running the pump more then needed what caused the pump to overheat and fail.
    This explain why the fluid was so dark.
    Here is what the patient looks like today.



    Beemer , I be test riding the bike on Friday.To bad I don't have the rear rotor yet.

    Full flush completed,engine oil done,tires done,still waiting on rotor.
    The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. Now, the guy who invented the second wheel... he was the genius.
    www.motorcycleworkshop.net
    www.rapidroadrescue.com

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer01 View Post
    The bike seems to brake normally, but obviously I try not to lock up the brakes, so haven't tested the ABS functionalty.

    Gentlemen - your thoughts and ideas?
    Thoughts? You need to practice your stops at a level that initiates ABS so that you know the feel of ABS engagement; this is a critical element in your skills practice. that, and attempting to brake just short of ABS invovement. If you've never activated the ABS, you're not pushing your braking skills hard enough.

    As to the ABS issue- i'm betting that the pads are worn, thus fluid level is low, and that is what is trigger ing the ABS faulting. a low battery typically shows as ABS faulting at startup, but not reoccurring during brake use once the bike is running. in fact, the ABS lights typically "fix" themselves after just a bit of riding, unless the battery is really toast (but that would show up in weak start-ups).

    replacing a 10yo battery is a good plan, regardless.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  14. #14
    Registered User RapidRoadRescue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indian Creek, IL 60061 (AKA Vernon Hills, IL)
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    Thoughts? You need to practice your stops at a level that initiates ABS so that you know the feel of ABS engagement; this is a critical element in your skills practice. that, and attempting to brake just short of ABS invovement. If you've never activated the ABS, you're not pushing your braking skills hard enough.

    As to the ABS issue- i'm betting that the pads are worn, thus fluid level is low, and that is what is trigger ing the ABS faulting. a low battery typically shows as ABS faulting at startup, but not reoccurring during brake use once the bike is running. in fact, the ABS lights typically "fix" themselves after just a bit of riding, unless the battery is really toast (but that would show up in weak start-ups).

    replacing a 10yo battery is a good plan, regardless.
    Problem solved(see post #12),this is a Beemer01 bike in my garage,ABS pump did fail in his bike.
    The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. Now, the guy who invented the second wheel... he was the genius.
    www.motorcycleworkshop.net
    www.rapidroadrescue.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •