• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Showers and Restrooms for Washing up at Gillette...

mike m

I'm a marginal camper :) but being one with a "go with the flow" attitude, I am looking forward to camping at my first National in Gillette. I have camped on a couple of occasions at local rallies and have had mixed results.

Porta-johns are fine for the "essentials", however showers and restrooms for washing up can make or break whether its a "good time/bad time" for me. I am OK with showering at night (rather than the mornings when the lines are long), so long as I can wash up good and brush my teeth, etc... in the morning before heading out to ride.

Will there be sufficient showers/restrooms at Gillette to do that?

I'm not in charge of anything for the rally, so I can't give a definite, but I'll relay what we had at the past two rallies that I attended.

There were plenty of port-a-johns. The were taken care of quite well (cleaned frequently); especially at West Bend. As for showers, there are shower trailers on-site. They were also taken care of pretty well. I never waited in line, but I think I took a lot of "off hours" showers. That means 11pm or after, OR after 10am. I was happy. It was MUCH better than the RA rally, this year. That was a good location, but the showers were never cleaned (as far as I could tell) and the port-a-johns were nearly overflowing a few times. I think part of that was an unexpected number of visitors... but still, the MOA seems to do a really good job with this.

the ice man cometh

C'mon! I always thought the best part of any National was the stuff guys said in the showers when the hot water was hours gone and nothing but ice water was left for bathing. Absolutely hysterical! That's what keeps me comin' back!:jawdrop

A little bit of info

From what I experienced in West Bend, they had it together with l(2) large semi trailers type showers all in a row plenty of water, and all pretty clean and orderly.

If they let the group use them, in addition to whatever the Bmwmoa brings in, they have 4 or 5? shower houses in the far eastern campground that are setting on permanent foundations. They were clean and well maintained last summer when I was in Gillette.

From what I experienced in West Bend, they had it together with l(2) large semi trailers type showers all in a row plenty of water, and all pretty clean and orderly.

If they let the group use them, in addition to whatever the Bmwmoa brings in, they have 4 or 5? shower houses in the far eastern campground that are setting on permanent foundations. They were clean and well maintained last summer when I was in Gillette.

There are 4 permanant shower "trailers" in the Boxelder camping area. 12 showers per unit. There are also some showers in the lower area. We will also have a shuttle around the grounds for those that are "allergic" to exercise (walking):whistle
There will be porta-johns aplenty as well as indoor restrooms, sinks.

T'was a far cry from the PVC and garden hose setup in Madison , Indiana.
I am not complaining mind you, that was better than driving off site somewhere.
It was also rotated for men and women. The trailers at West Bend were exceptional for the National, but wear sandals.:nono

Holy crow - 688 full service RV sites in one campground! That's a bunch of camping for those of us with RV's, and it means we won't have to commute from 40 miles away. We may show up in Gillette! :thumb

Just two words...

Handi-wipes and Kleenex. Showers are for wimps :lurk

Holy crow - 688 full service RV sites in one campground! That's a bunch of camping for those of us with RV's, and it means we won't have to commute from 40 miles away. We may show up in Gillette! :thumb

And that's only in one of the campgrounds. The whole place has 1,761 sites. I usually load my old airhead in the bed of my truck, hook up my camper and head to rallies. As long as I have electricity to run my CPAP machine, I get by fine. However, the distance to the rally will keep me away this time. The time away from home and the $1,000 for gas it would take to get me there and back prevents my attendance. However, if it the rally is ever at a really special location where my wife would go with me, the time and cost would be far less of an issue.

My experience at rallies has always been very positive and if there is a problem than all you have to do is let someone in charge know about it. Bet you it will be taken care of very quickly. I also must say that if EVERYBODY pitches in to keep things clean it will be better for all. Personally I do bring a pack of unscented babywipes on all my trips just in case.....:rofl

Back