• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Geezer Free Zone

BradfordBenn said:
After checking the politically correct dictionary, the proper phrase is "Youth Challenged" :p

Great! Now I can add that to my growing list of challenges! Follicley, vertically, horizontally, optically and mentally! :help

Hmmm, might be easier to write the list the other way!

Jim :brow

I've been off forum for a few days, so I hope this isn't a dollar short and a day late. I'm one of the "kids" at the ripe old age of 23. The folks my age don't really want to sit in a classroom situation all day. We hang around the "geezers" at every rally that we go to, or we've grown up with bikes. I would go out on a limb to say that many of us have a pretty good idea of whats going on when we fire up our bikes. There are plenty of seminars at national that deal with everything people would have interest in learning more about. I liked the idea that I think Rob had of having a meet and greet with the directors of the board and then having a destination to ride to. Not some namby-pamby mommy and daddy holding our hands thing, let us ride the way we want to. Having a ride to look back on that was "Hey remember when we hit those twisites and had a good time" rather than "Remember when we had a bunch of people riding with us who were there under the pretense that we weren't good enough riders to be on our own" will go a lot farther in fostering an interest in becoming involved with the 'MOA. :)

YB in IN said:
I've been off forum for a few days, so I hope this isn't a dollar short and a day late. I'm one of the "kids" at the ripe old age of 23. The folks my age don't really want to sit in a classroom situation all day. We hang around the "geezers" at every rally that we go to, or we've grown up with bikes. I would go out on a limb to say that many of us have a pretty good idea of whats going on when we fire up our bikes. There are plenty of seminars at national that deal with everything people would have interest in learning more about. I liked the idea that I think Rob had of having a meet and greet with the directors of the board and then having a destination to ride to. Not some namby-pamby mommy and daddy holding our hands thing, let us ride the way we want to. Having a ride to look back on that was "Hey remember when we hit those twisites and had a good time" rather than "Remember when we had a bunch of people riding with us who were there under the pretense that we weren't good enough riders to be on our own" will go a lot farther in fostering an interest in becoming involved with the 'MOA. :)

sshhhh....Be nice. Let the old guys think they're better riders.

younger BEEMER RIDERS

Having learned to ride at the age of 46, I have no direct experience in any of this. But, it occurs to me that the folks under say 30 who come to the MOA Rally are "younger BEEMER RIDERS" more than "YOUNGER beemer riders." Get my drift?

Rather than segregating them for a lot of special treatment thought up by geezers, why not just ADD to the existing Rally events, some special chances for them to get together. Seminars and maybe a social event where they feel comfortable might be better than a contrived Sunday school type of atmosphere.

Since its inception, I try hard not to miss the regular Women Who Ride seminars - not because I have some secret desire to understand women (gave up on that decades ago), but because I find their discussions interestingly different and refreshing - and it's a gas listening to women riders interact. Perhaps if we had a seminar on "Twenties Who Ride," we might find a similar quality? I'd sure sit in on that as a listener.

The same is true of the beer tent. I'm too old to withstand most current "music," but it wouldn't bother me a bit if some of my rally fee went into another beer tent with 20s kinda entertainment.

MOA has become so large that it is only wise to consider some of these beneficial specializations for various categories of our members - not only at the rally, but in the magazine and the web site.

Subjects for seminars that come to mind:
- Primitive motorcycle camping and good, cheap equipment
- Roughing it touring and camping destinations
- Best buys in BMW models for Twenties riders
- Touring by way of hostels
- Safe rider wear that doesn't cost $900.
- Weekend riding/hiking destinations
- How to successfully shop for and buy a used BMW bike

How about providing (not requiring) just an adjacent camping area for Twenties at the Rally?

Throw a cookout one evening for these folks, with beer and a dejay. Let them pick the food and the music.

Ya think there might one good idea above? Do you think you could add to the ideas with maybe ten minutes of thought?

Organizationally, how about trying to find a Twenties rally chairperson to organize some of this - rather having some geezer schoolmarm having to fake it?

The mind boggles...

Jim

Re: younger BEEMER RIDERS

Jim Shaw said:
Having learned to ride at the age of 46, I have no direct experience in any of this. But, it occurs to me that the folks under say 30 who come to the MOA Rally are "younger BEEMER RIDERS" more than "YOUNGER beemer riders." Get my drift?...

Subjects for seminars that come to mind:
- Primitive motorcycle camping and good, cheap equipment
- Roughing it touring and camping destinations
- Best buys in BMW models for Twenties riders
- Touring by way of hostels
- Safe rider wear that doesn't cost $900.
- Weekend riding/hiking destinations
- How to successfully shop for and buy a used BMW bike

Jim

I am 40 and would be interested in many of those subject since I am new to BMWs and REnew to riding.

Re: younger BEEMER RIDERS

Jim Shaw said:
Rather than segregating them for a lot of special treatment thought up by geezers, why not just ADD to the existing Rally events, some special chances for them to get together. Seminars and maybe a social event where they feel comfortable might be better than a contrived Sunday school type of atmosphere.

MOA has become so large that it is only wise to consider some of these beneficial specializations for various categories of our members

How about providing (not requiring) just an adjacent camping area for Twenties at the Rally?

Throw a cookout one evening for these folks, with beer and a dejay. Let them pick the food and the music.

Ya think there might one good idea above? Do you think you could add to the ideas with maybe ten minutes of thought?

Organizationally, how about trying to find a Twenties rally chairperson to organize some of this - rather having some geezer schoolmarm having to fake it?

Jim,

They are ALL good ideas! Inclusion instead of exclusion is the best idea. Specialized seminars (poverty riding & etc.) and spaces for them to relax in are winners too. We need to find a way to welcome IN young blood to MOA, not to separate them away.

I agree with you that we would need a Twenties-type chairperson to head this up. I know that I would be glad to help out on it but my Twenties went the way of my /5: well run but worn flat out. :eek

Hey John,

Do you know about the Gateway Riders in St. Louis? If you want input from Old Geezers, we're a great place to find that! :) Actually, we do have some younger members, also. Shoot an email back to me if you'd like more information.

Now back to the rally discussion....

This will be my first rally and I'm 25. I'll be bringing my gf who is 19, so the idea of activites oriented towards people in thier 20's sounds like a great idea! Jim Shaw had some excellent suggestions like the seperate tenting area and the seminars about cheap riding gear and camping. See ya there!

Tarren Shaw

Hey Tarren, I keep seeing you on here. When're you gonna register? I promise we won't spam you.

:D

Rob Nye said:
I am considering setting up a seminar that would be titled the Geezer Free Zone for riders under 26. ,

I will cut to the chase.Bad idea.

I started ride'n at 15 and been ride steady for over 35 years.:eek

I hung out with the old farts during my young days and hang out with the "kidsÔÇØ now.

Motorcycles create a common bond that spans many barriers, including age.

If itÔÇÖs input yur after; it does not matter what a 21 year old wants, or what a 71 year old wants. It only matters what a motorcyclist wants.

Daymn, if ya think Im opinionated now.Ya shoulda seen me in my 20s:bliss

Hey Tarren

What Kbasa said. Where are you located? Whatdaya ride? Oh - just register so we got a stationary target. :heh

tarrenshaw said:
This will be my first rally and I'm 25. I'll be bringing my gf who is 19, so the idea of activites oriented towards people in thier 20's sounds like a great idea! Jim Shaw had some excellent suggestions like the seperate tenting area and the seminars about cheap riding gear and camping. See ya there!

Tarren Shaw

I would vote for a series of "new to riding" events. I would be willing to bet that there will be many more newbies that are 55 at the rally than newbies that are 25.

Inclusion vs. seclusion

I agree with Knary. The idea for the seminars is to include all interested. I remember very well my first MOA rally at Moodus. I had all the wrong gear, all the wrong expectations. I was lucky to run into another rider who introduced me around, and showed me the ropes. -He WASN'T opinionated, thank God.

The idea with the separate camping is to provide a place where younger people feel more comfortable with each other, and find it easy to meet others that they can have some fun with. Strictly voluntary.

A little of both?

I think a new to riding theme of seminars - sans age is a good idea.

I also think that having some Generation X & Y entertainment is a good idea.

So perhaps both?

:idea

-=Brad (on Location in Potters Bar, England and missing my motorcycle.)

Re: A little of both?

BradfordBenn said:
I think a new to riding theme of seminars - sans age is a good idea.

I also think that having some Generation X & Y entertainment is a good idea.

So perhaps both?

:idea

-=Brad (on Location in Potters Bar, England and missing my motorcycle.)

In.

Re: Re: Re: A little of both?

Jim Shaw said:
So, maybe you'll be in a position to DO something about all this talk? :evil

Sure. Cruise my hotel room and I'll play some of my punk and hip hop music for ya.

I may have other responsibilities at the national this year. :evil

Re: Re: Re: Re: A little of both?

KBasa said:
Sure. Cruise my hotel room and I'll play some of my punk and hip hop music for ya.

I may have other responsibilities at the national this year. :evil

Hey hey, now don't be jinxing yourself now!!! :eek

I think the best thing any of us can do is to invite that younger rider (or any stranger for that matter!) to sit at our table in the Beer Garden or to set up their tent next to ours... invite him/her in! Ask them what their ride was like; how do you like your bike; what kind of tires have worked best for you, etc. Invite him/her into your/our group!

At the Redmond National there was a young guy (19-20) wandering alone around the rally site on a Ducati Monster. Well, he happened to stop by the area that "our group" was camped at to look at another Ducati Monster (ridden by a notorious woman from Spokane by the way) parked there. Someone asked him a question, someone else another question, and before you knew it he had spent the entire Rally camped, eating, drinking, and having a heckova great time with a group of people old enough to be his mother or father. That was his first rally. The next time I see Ryan at a rally it will be renewing an old friendship. Age wasn't a factor for him or for any of us. Motorcycles were.

We all can make everyone feel welcome! :beer

Back