• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Geezer Free Zone

rob nye

Ritalin Poster Boy
Greetings all,

At Trenton and Charleston I was involved in the MOA Foundation's young riders programs.

At each event the major feedback we got as to why people participated was to meet other riders their age. I think we can all agree that BMW riders under 26 are a bit scarce and it is difficult for them to meet up at the annual rally.

I am considering setting up a seminar that would be titled the Geezer Free Zone for riders under 26. The idea as it stands now is nothing more than a scheduled meeting place and time. I recall a few years ago we had such a seminar, mainly for the officers and board of the club to meet with our up and coming members to exchange ideas and solicit feedback from our new wave of riders. Taking this a step further I am thinking of making arrangements with a resturant or cafe 30-60 miles from the rally site with the idea of heading out for a ride to eat after the initial meeting. I suppose to keep the concept pure I will need to recruit a qualifed rider, I'm a relative geezer at 41. :D

For our under 26 riders is this something that holds any appeal? Do you have any suggestions on this or any other events at the rally you would like to see?

Thanks for your input.

Best,

Why 26 and not, say, 30? or 35?

I suppose I would advertise it as a gathering for "our younger MOA members" or something more sexy. If you think you're young enough to qualify, you are.

yep. I'm a baby of 32. :D

-scott

Hey Scott,

We need to set the celing somewhere otherwise all the 32yr old GIT (geezers in training) who think they are hip will crash the party.;)

- Rob Nye

I joined BMW MOA when I was 23. I didn't really care that I was 15 years younger than everyone else, and they didn't seem to mind either. Some of the best friends I've ever made in this club were/are older than my parents.

BTW, I plan on going to the young riders' meeting even though I'm 38 now, because I scoff at age limits. Is Def Leppard still cool? :)

To me the difference is the person

I may grow old, but I ain't going to grow up.

Also as one who was at last year's rally at the ripe old age of 32, I would have loved having a program like that. Heck I would still like to take part in it this year. However my criteria are a little different...

• I felt the biggest difference came from Kids versus No Kids.
  • Riding Experience
  • First BIG Rally
Oh yeah, Def Leppard was never cool:p

Scott, it looks like you and I are in the same cradle. Although I am getting older exponetially during this confrence call.:eek

Re: To me the difference is the person

BradfordBenn said:
I may grow old, but I ain't going to grow up.

Also as one who was at last year's rally at the ripe old age of 32, I would have loved having a program like that. Heck I would still like to take part in it this year. However my criteria are a little different...

• I felt the biggest difference came from Kids versus No Kids.
  • Riding Experience

Oh yeah, Def Leppard was never cool:p

Scott, it looks like you and I are in the same cradle. Although I am getting older exponetially during this confrence call.:eek

Hey! Pyromania was the first tape I ever bought. :p

What we really need is a "no whining about kids" and "no whining about prostate issues" zone. But I guess that's Rob's idea. So let's stop our hijack.

Anyone else interested in the "Not an Old BMW Rider" meeting at Spokane?

When the Geezer was young......

OK, I was 20 when I was at my first MOA National--there were not many people of my age group there then and it was a bit lonely. What few young ones that were there got together, but it was too few to do anything. Probably would have been nice to have some organized arrangement going @ that Rally, but there were not that many participants there anyhow. That was the Table Rock Rally, MOA National#2.

So, now the young radical is a old geezer of 50.... Our Nationals are much larger and better organized. There are more "younger" riders there now ("younger"=25 and below), but they still do not have a identity with the larger group of folks that are at the Rally. For a lot of the young riders, they are at the event with their parents, and for the rest of the young riders, they are surrounded by people that they have little in common with. This group needs to get away from the larger group so that they can bond together and create their own identity. I would recommend a special ride for the Young Beemers to somewhere away from the Rally, where they can have fun and start making a connection with each other. Granted, they will need to abstain from mood-altering substances so that they can return safely to the larger group eventually, but they need somewhere to be themselves. A good road run with twisties, or a nice ride to a concert site, or something that they can share among themselves and not with all the fogies at the National.

At this moment, I do not have a specific idea of what they can do to find this special place, but it is something that we all should try to think about. Spokane has some neat places around it--maybe a ride to Sandpoint, ID area, or maybe something in the metro Spokane area would be good. But to make this work, we will need some serious input from those Young Beemers as to what would and would-not work. We can give them the freedom to ride out, but they need to give us the destination to where they want to go.

Hey Rev Willie,

We are on the same wavelength here.

What I am thinking is having a short seminar which will mainly serve as a quick meet n greet with some of the officers of the 'MOA. We would like to meet our younger members and hear what they expect / desire from 'MOA membership.

Then a ride to eat right along the lines you mentioned. I would like to see it somewhere around 30-45 miles in length to a relatively small spot that is also very affordable.

Rather than guess what they want I would rather have them tell us what *they* want.

Best,

Rob Nye

What about a bus to take someone in the 18-25 group to a separate location, and introduce ridng to them if they have no experience. Have a set of cabins, with lots of grass and gravel to learn on away from mom and dad. Have organized rides for new riders in the same age group stressing skills and some drills maybe to help. As far as social stuff goes, I have no experience other than my own at that age, so I dont think I should be planning that portion of the program.

Great Ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I just turned 29 and do fit into this category that we are discussing. I feel very young at most events. Doesn't bother me but it would be great to meet someone close in my age group. In fact I am riding from St. Louis to Spokane with a buddy I met who is 15-20 years older than myself. As far as riding partners we click great together.

Here are some ideas....

"Generation Y Meet and Greet"
I love the idea of just a simple meeting time. How about 20 some-things on down. Let's just meet, talk, share emails, and get to know each other. We could open it for all which would allow other generations to understand us young punks (Ha!). I know a guy in STL that has a lot of experience and whenever I have a question I ask him first because he has been there done that. It would be great to know more experience riders like this.

"Lessons on the Road"
The one thing I appreciate the most is gathering tips, techniques, stories, from riders who have bagged zillions of miles. How about a meeting hosted buy the oldest most seasoned riders. The most interesting motorcycle conversation I ever had was with an 85 year old rider. We chatted for about an hour in an AutoZone parking lot one time. We chatted about places, bikes, you name it. Please pass the knowledge... we are all ears. That would be great!

"Power Sports Industry Networking Event"
Personally I would love to transition my career into the Power Sports industry somehow. If would be nice to know if someone there in the crowd who worked for a major manufacturer, dealer, ect., that could discuss how they broke into the industry or even needed some good talent.

My name is John buy the way...See ya all there!

Well, the Beer Garden is always a good place to meet. Here's a thought, how about if we can get the Young Guns to volunteer for a shift. They'll meet others of their age bracket, and meet all sorts of other folks at the same time.

Besides, isn't age just a frame of mind?

manic mechanic said:
Well, the Beer Garden is always a good place to meet. Here's a thought, how about if we can get the Young Guns to volunteer for a shift. They'll meet others of their age bracket, and meet all sorts of other folks at the same time.

I tried that last year, and while there were some extenuating circumstances, I really did not get to meet anyone. I got to haul a lot of ice and beer and had some fun, but not really anything that made me feel part of "The BMW Family" so to speak.

I realize that is kind of like a wet blanket statement and am still thinking up suggestions.

BradfordBenn said:
I tried that last year, and while there were some extenuating circumstances, I really did not get to meet anyone. I got to haul a lot of ice and beer and had some fun, but not really anything that made me feel part of "The BMW Family" so to speak.

I realize that is kind of like a wet blanket statement and am still thinking up suggestions.

Hey Brad,

Maybe you are a tweener? :brow

Jim

Suggestions

Howdy-

I admit I am kind of on the cusp as I am active on the forum, but I do not have much Rally experience. Heck, I am not even a member of the local club. So my motorcycle socialization is still pretty low.

So I thought, "What dd I expect or want that did not happen at Charleston?"

I came up with a few suggestions:

• It is not about age so much as it is about amount of motorcycle socialization. Perhaps determine "Geezer" Status by years of membership?
  • I would recommend a morning ride to a restaurant or the like. The idea of putting a bunch of people in a bus to me seems like spoiling the purpose of a motorcycle
  • Big Brother/Big Sister program. Relatively simple and probably already taking place quietly. Partner experienced Rally people with less experienced/less confident people. Kind of a walk through the vendor area, a howdy to a few people and some intros.
  • Tips and Tricks Seminar - Just starting out? We recommend that you ÔǪ. What tools? What about hydration? What about ÔǪ the stuff that lots of us learned the hardway.
  • Basic Preventative Maintenance and Inspection Clinic ÔÇô After I ride a few thousand miles across the country, I would really appreciate if I could have someone go over the bike with me and say, hey you may want to check this. When I am on the road, I have found that doing this helpsÔǪ
  • Truly basic tech ÔÇô How to check the oil? How to check tread depth? How to get a full tank of gas on an RT?
  • Sample Tech Sessions - How to use a tire plugger? How to balance valves - heck why balance valves? Some of these should be hands on, others practicality means it can not be. Perhaps some video reinforcement so that people can see the process... then put it up on the web as an archive of knowledge.

Just my suggestions. Might be good, might suck.

Brad,
good stuff.
And, as you point out, *not* neccesarily "youth" stuff. I'm only 32, but have more miles than a fair number of riders twice my age, and far less miles than a number of riders younger than me.

I still tell my grandkids that I don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

Along the lines of the current discussion: Ben, we met at the beer tent, worked together. Things can happen, we're here now discoursing. Also last year I met a (younger) couple, he'd been to a couple rallies, she was at her first. She expressed a desire to "go shopping" for a few items at the vendors, and asked if I would help out, as opposed to going with her hubby, just to get another point of view. I felt honored to help, with the caveat that we were looking first, then she could go back later with that info and make more informed choices. She could also have asked for info from a lot of other folks, and I did tell her that. As has been discussed in previous threads on the forum, go to the rally with the intention of having a good time, meet people, enjoy each others company. Maybe the first time you won't meet so many. But that is a start. Hey, I don't bite (hard), and I don't thin anybody else in our community does either. But we are all individuals. Check us out, introduce yourself. We learned a new word in school today - sharing. Information is community property.

Back