Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/24/07 Thanksgiving Special

REBECCAV
    Fantastic pictures this week!! Great portraits from everyone.

I had a great time hanging out with family this year including these two beautiful children:

grossjohann
    Quote Originally Posted by lamble View Post

I'm in love with this subject matter.
    This is a great juxtaposition of the two portraits. Very reminiscent of the avant-guard 60s.

CRUISIN

?grateful for?

grandkids
    Attached Images Attached Images

franze

I'm thankful for

A loving active family

After 3 brothers and two sons, my youngest child is Sugar and Spice

Last edited by franze; 11-25-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: increase size of photos

Snow Day

Upon awakening - but gone by afternoon ....
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

[QUOTE=Upon awakening - but gone by afternoon ....[/QUOTE]

WOW! what a difference a week makes! Great shot Paul
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Upon awakening - but gone by afternoon ....
    Wow. Super place. I take if if you turn around from your vantage point, you won't see a Walmart.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    Wow. Super place. I take if if you turn around from your vantage point, you won't see a Walmart.
    You got that right. Here is the view the other way! This is not a submission - way too fuzzy - but it does show the view Jack mentioned.

The nearest Walmart is 120 miles away - in Ft. Stockton. The nearest Super Walmart is 154 miles away in Pecos. In fact, the nearest town of any size is 53 miles away - Alpine, although fuel, some food, hardware, are located at Study Butte/Terlingua - a mere 25 miles away.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 11-25-2007 at 08:46 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

RandallIsland

Sweet! I love pictures that make me ask "What's the rest of the story?"

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Gratitude

The City of Cincinnati shows their "gratitude" for those who answered their countries call during the Vietnam era.

At first, I thought the bottle of wine was litter and was going to move it, but realized someone had left this full bottle as a tribute to show their gratitude. There was also a military service ribbon.

I need to work on the long distance rider's skill of reading comprehension. Just saw the key word "gratitude," and didn't read the fine print that ask that we try our hand at a portrait.

John F
    Cincinnati, OH

REBECCAV
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post

I need to work on the long distance rider's skill of reading comprehension. Just saw the key word "gratitude," and didn't read the fine print that ask that we try our hand at a portrait.

John F
    Cincinnati, OH
    I don't know if you would lose points at the table for this one or not, my friend. 'Portrait' is subjective and you could make a case for it. In the end it's at the rallymaster's discretion though.....

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaV View Post
    I don't know if you would lose points at the table for this one or not, my friend. 'Portrait' is subjective and you could make a case for it. In the end it's at the rallymaster's discretion though.....
    You were invited to try your hand at a portrait, but by no means was one required. Your shot fits the theme well. I'm wondering about the wine bottle. . . . More about that on Wednesday.

Nice shot.

SNC1923

Radiance

The woman with the lovely smile is my wife, Israel. I'm grateful for her smile--it radiates warmth and light, and I can never get enough of it.

I shot about 50 of these today. This was shot #2 and most of the rest were fraught with all manner of technical difficulties. I find that when I shoot a series of pictures, often the first one is the best. Lesson in that, I suppose. . . .

This was shot with an 85mm f/1.8, considered by many to be an ideal portrait lens. On my camera the equivalent focal length is 135mm which is a bit long, but still in the range. I shot this at f/1.8, so the DoF is extremely shallow; almost everything besides her mouth, nose, and eyes is, to some degree, out of focus. I knew the background would be blurry beyond recognition, but I didn't know it would be so dark. It works well for this, I think.

Unlike yesterday, which was bright and sunny (as noted in this ride report), today was gloomy and overcast. This is perfect weather for shooting portraits, as the light is so diffuse and even. Click for the EXIF: ISO 100, 1/1600th sec. @ 1.8.
    Last edited by SNC1923; 11-26-2007 at 02:11 PM.

grossjohann
    This is a wonderful portrait, Tom. I have similar results with ÔÇ£first shotsÔÇØ; they tend to be the most inspired.

Not to disregard the technical ability of the photographer, but I find it easy to take great portraits of great people.