• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tampa to Atlanta to Tampa

mieczkow

Tom Mieczkowski
Just reporting back on the sojourn up to Atlanta and back. Took the advice of the post to my query and rode 19 all the way to within 15 miles of Atlanta. Very nice! Lots of old Florida and rural Georgia. The cotton is coming in right now so the fields were spectacular. Very little traffic, mostly 4 lane all the way - a few construction spots - but nothing of consequence.

It was "nippy" when I left Atlanta on Saturday - 34F when I headed out. Sunny both on the way up and on the way back. My gear held up well - hands got pretty cold during the first hour of each trip. The trip each way was about 9-10 hours - 460 miles. I'd do it again in a minute.

I'll be making a trip from St. Louis down toward Tampa next April. I was thinking of just shooting down the interstate but your route has me thinking about a change in plans. Might take an extra day but if I have the time..........

Thanks.

Just say "no" . . .

Bill,

I really recommend you look for alternatives to the interstate system if you have the time to spare. First you'd be surprised at what good condition all these other roads are in - the ride I described through GA and FL I would readily compare the road quality to any I-75 type freeway I've been on. And you can't beat the local flavors, sights, etc.

As I often seen quoted on this particular form, every since they built the interstate system you can drive anywhere and see nothing. My own view is use the interstate if (a) you are really in a hurry and just want to rocket as fast as you can from A to B, or (b) there really is no viable alternative. On this trip, once I got about 20 miles outside of Atlanta, 19 turns into suburbia, so what's the point? I hopped over to I-75 to finish the last few miles, as that took me conveniently to my downtown hotel. On the way back I took I-75 about 20 miles to get out of Atlanta as fast as possible (see point "a" above) and then resumed my ride on 19 southbound. If I could have spared one more day I would have explored a few interesting alternatives to 19 south.

Have a good and safe ride!

Tom Mieczkowski

I love to take Hwy 41 when get around Arabi (heading northward), I can't remember the exit but it is was the old main artery that runs parallel to 75 a lot of the way from Valdosta to Macon. Lots of old Georgia towns and sights of old gas stations and old agriculture things but not so much traffic that you are stop and go, averagel 50-60 mph. Oh yeah, a few good places to eat too.

I've been using it for several years and while there are changes it is very gradual. It is one of my favorite rides to to tune out work and all the other crap. I avoid the interstate as much as possible, especially after I get out of Fla.

An exelent alt rte. Is to take 441, nice scenery and the road is in good condition.
Just south of Homer Ga. there is a new wayside park/visitors center at the Suannee river.
If you stay in Waycross Ga. stay on the south side of town.
I went through that way a couple of months ago and had a very nice low-key ride. ....Don :thumb

Back