• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Frosted Marshmallow 381

BRADFORDBENN

Slowpoke & Proud of It!
Ride March 13, 2004

Left my house at 8:00 and it was 18 degrees Fahrenheit (-8 Celsius). No worries I thought as I had the Gerbings jacket liner on, insulated jeans, HyperTex Overpants, balaclava, and wool socks on. Following the suggestions of many, I also put my Camelbak/Platypus on filled with water. Figure even though it is cold I needed to stay hydrated.

Head out of South Bend and just as I got out of the city proper, I got an invitation to stop and chat from a police officer. I had a fair amount of speed on. I got a warning as I did not have a radar detector. Plus with it being that cold out, I donÔÇÖt think he wanted to stand out there while I fished out my paperwork.

I continued on to dzimbricÔÇÖs place. I started getting a little thirsty so I tried to take a drink. Hmm nothing coming out. IÔÇÖll check that out once I get there. I was getting thirsty enough and the little chat had eaten up enough time I pulled into a church parking lot to call dzimbric and let him know I was about 30 minutes out. I saw why the Platypus was not working; the water had frozen in the tube. Broke up the ice and had a nice COLD drink.

Got to dzimbricÔÇÖs place and then we headed down to ShapiroÔÇÖs Deli in Indianapolis for some food. Nice uneventful ride on the way down there, but my right foot was getting cold, and my gloves were just not cutting it anymore. The GS gloves worked great for the first hour or so with the heated grips on, but no so well after that. I had given up on my other winter gloves as they were so insulated that the heated grips had no effect.

After a fine corn beef sandwich and a Dr. BrownÔÇÖs Cream Soda, two things that are hard to find in South Bend, we were off to RevardÔÇÖs BMW to look around. I was also going to get gloves that actually worked. Trying to find RevardÔÇÖs is a little more difficult than expected but we got there. Purchased some nice cloth Held winter gloves that work well. The thumb is a little clumsy for trying to work some of the buttons of the GPS but they are winter gloves after all.

Headed back to dzimbricÔÇÖs place enjoyed the view of the lake and then off home for dinner with the wife. I got back home at 18:17.

According to the GPS, total of 381 miles in 8 hours 29 minutes on the bike, 7:30 was moving 58 minutes and 14 seconds was stopped. Overall average speed was 44.9. Peak speed was 94.8 mph, I think that came when the Cadillac tried to ride my rear wheel and I had to get out of there quickly!

Attachments

• 040313.jpg
    040313.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 190
What, no pics?

Justa map? Bummer. (kidding). I bet it was a whole lot warmer when you got "down South" to Indy, huh?
You know you are on a fine Spring ride when the water freezes up on the way to your pie hole!
Congrats on earning your Frozen Marshmallow pin.
(Windy, nasty and cold up here today. Just got my nephews old Honda running for Spring and took it out for a few cold miles. Sure miss the heated grips when they are gone! Too much snow blowing around to have much fun. We did, however, see that shining yellowish orb in the sky yesterday.)
Ride On!
Well BB, on the re-read I noticed you beat my PCD by one degree, so I will have to mail you the Polar Bear sticker and the six month supply of Klondike bars.

Oh, I thought this was a thread about food. :yum

You guys are nuts - it is still winter outside!!!

Brad I can be in Indy in about 2 hours the back way, and I would love to meet up for lunch. I know some nice roads south of Indy out toward Bloomington. We should make a day of it. Have to be a weekend though.

Agreed.

Have to be in April due to other commitments. Ping me off forum and we can come up with a time.

Put me in coach. I want to go too. US31 is soooo borrrrrrring but the roads South of Indy can make up for it. The cager Bradford wrote about in the caddy was a real jerk. We had to perform some defensive riding on the beltway.

Only 53 days to track day.:clap :clap :clap

I would rather take my chances on the interstates through town in Indy rather than the beltway. We will have to do rt 135 from 46 to US 50. You will love that road. Take 50 west to 446 and angle toward Bloomington to return. It should be a good ride. I am game for any weekend in April. The best riding in Indiana is definately in the southern part of the state.

I spent 9 months in Seymour (sounds like a prison sentance) and spent a lot of time running the backroads of Brown Co. Get off the state roads and you will really see some places.

I will look for some of my maps, Go out the backside of the park and there are some .... thinking about a GS

RIDE FURTHER SOUTH...

Go a little bit further south to Kentucky and you will see some roads, of all kinds...for every temperment. One reason I moved from Ca. to Ky. was for the roads! Have yet to be let down!!

Allan.

Hey GT, I ride in KY all the time, as well as Southern Oh and IN. the riding is really awesome. I am lucky to live near such fabulous roads. My brother, who owns an RRT, lives in Louisville. It almost makes you feel sorry for folks in other parts of the country.

RIDING...

You have that right! I loved riding in California, but too brown in the summer. I have yet been let down...

Back