• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75S Original Litter

I have a few pictures of the bike brand new on the show floor and at home if anyone is interested in seeing what I'm talking about ("old" film pictures, remember those? I'd try to scan them and post, mayb neeed tech help with doing that). It was like this only a short time b4 I put on a "T" seat and rear pegs and a luggage rack.
Gilly

Hi guys. Original owner checking in with 150825, Colombia Silver K75S bought at Mischlers BMW in Beaver dam WI (one of the supporting dealers at the West Bend Rally). Born-on date I think is March 87, from litter #3.

The way this was described to me by the dealer, and this may just pertain to US imported bkes, is the first litter were ALL red bikes, second litter was all Black bikes, and the last litter of 1987 was all Colombia Silver, which was somewhat smaller than the first two litters (300 each of red and black and the remainder was the Colombia silver, < 200??

Gilly

0825 Born March 1987. Actually the 9th litter (month). :clap First litter was May 1986.

As far as colors go, I don't know if they were done in batches or not. Of the eight May 1986 bikes that have reported in four were Marakesh Red and four did not mention the color.:dunno

All you other early '87 S owners weigh in with your VIN and color so we can tell if the colors were produced in batches.:type

:dance :dance :dance

Last edited:
Dang, my '92 is from the second batch: #153117

:nod but I don't love it any less.

'92 #153309

1159740-L.jpg

I misunderstood you were referring to months = litter. I am curious about the info I received, the dealer (Art Mischler) is a real straight shooter and I'm sure he didn't make it up. Could have been misinformed i suppose. But now I am curious about it. If you think about it, (or at least if I think about it), have you ever seen an 87 S that wasn't red, black or the occasional Colombia Silver?? I mean a stock painted one.
I see elsewhere you have the number of '87s as 957, which would mean if Art was right about 300 red, 300 black, and remainder are Colombia silver, that we would be seeing MORE Colombia Silver rather than LESS. Were 87s made for 9 months? maybe it is 3 months instead of 300 bikes??

Gilly

1987 Model Year US Spec K75S Production by Month:

All US Spec K75Ss produced during 1986 were debuted as 1987 Models.

May 1986 = 325
June 1986 = 75
July 1986 = 14
Aug 1986 = 38
Sept 1986 = 107
Oct 1986 = 77
Nov 1986 = 105

Feb 1987 = 32
Mar 1987 = 172
April 1987 = 12
_____
957 total

1988 Model Year production started in June 1987.

:nod but I don't love it any less.

'92 #153309

1159740-L.jpg

3309 Born Sept. 1991:clap :clap :clap

How could you not love such a beautiful bike?:heart

No matter what year or what color. (although Marakesh Red was the fastest):stick

I've heard Black was the meanest!

And Silver was the sleekest!

I have a few pictures of the bike brand new on the show floor and at home if anyone is interested in seeing what I'm talking about ("old" film pictures, remember those? I'd try to scan them and post, mayb neeed tech help with doing that). It was like this only a short time b4 I put on a "T" seat and rear pegs and a luggage rack.
Gilly

SEND PICTURES!!! :lurk

Will try later tonight. If the files size is too big, can I email them to you??
Gilly

Picture #1
Wish it were clearer or at least larger. This is 150825 on the showfloor of Mischler BMW/HD summer 1987, before I picked it up. I didn't even recognize it as a K75S at first, I was looking for a red or black bike! I have other pics that will show this better, but note this bike still has it's stock seat (solo), no rear pegs, no passenger grab handle. I am trying to determine through this thread if ALL the Colombia Silver bikes were like this or not. If you are the original owner it would help me out to know. It would be important to know if it is possible the dealer added the rear handles and pegs and a different seat before you had a chance to buy the bike or not. I could see a dealer having one like this and not being able to sell it as-is and adding these items later. OK, I have other pics to post now.
Gilly

Attachments

• k751.jpg
    k751.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 224
Pic #2
Here it is at home, just arrived from Mischlers with it, DAY ONE. This was in the spring off 1988, Mischlers let me make payments on it starting summer of 1987 and held it for my until Spring '88.
I took the lower fairing off to add some of that no-chip tape to the front of the "chin". I know this is when I took it as it was only like this for a very short time; no tail section "luggage" bracket yet, no saddle bag brackets, and still has the solo seat (which I still have).
OK, up above the "coves" (the crater underneath where the passenger grab handle would be) you can see above the cove it has a black block off piece for the screw holes to attach the grab handle. Sort of in front of the bottom of the cove you can see a round plug that covers the one hole to attach the bottom of the handle.
You can also notice the stock side plates without rear pegs installed, I had to buy the rear pegs!
Learning curve ahead of me at this point was pretty steep, I had the danged thing on it's side several times the first year due to errors in taking it off the center stand. Always, always get ON the bike and get it down off the stand is what I learned the hard way. I kept pulling it off the stand with the nifty handle and leaned over away from me and onto it's side. Never seemed to damage much, luckily. It was love/hate for quite awhile. At this point, I guess you can see the bike and I "understand each other", heh heh. I was often asked what I'd call the color of the bike, I'd reply "the color of SPEED!"
Gilly

Attachments

• K752.jpg
    K752.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 226
Pic #3
OK, this is a couple years down the road. Yours truly sporting his System 2 helmet and some Olympia glove I wish I hadn't later tried to dry out on a heater in my moms spare junk room. They were toast! But nice gloves. OK, by this time I had CC Products do the big valve job on the engine. I can tell this because it has an ugly-ass Supertrapp muffler, which looked and sounded about equally as bad. Later on I got a Lufty sewer-pipe excuse for a megaphone muffler (which I still have. PS: WHAT????). I haven't modified the tail section yet, I'll try getting a picture up of the modification next. In this pic I still have the "T" seat, which I eventually wore out and went to a Corbin. You can see the tail rack is added too. The saddle bags are what BMW had back in '87-88. I had the lids painted a Mercedes color called Blue Green, which at the time I liked as a contrasting color. Looked OK I guess. I can't remember exactly where the picture was taken, but I think in Door County, WI (north east from where the West Bend Rally was, the "thumb" of WI that sticks out into Lake Michigan).
Gilly

Attachments

• K753a.jpg
    K753a.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 225
Pic #4
Sorry I can't get this any better looking or larger. If I try to get the resolution any better the file is too large. I'm happy I am getting ANY of these pictures up, especially using a scanner to complicate things. Just a nice picture from a trip up to the Keweenaw Peninsula in Upper Michigan. Would be roughly in the area of Eagle harbor I think, just a little roadside turnoff area park. maybe some Yoopers can nail the area down better, really nice nice area to take a trip to. Looks like the bike is set up like the previous picture, has that hideous "coffee can" Supercrapp muffler on it. Sounds like a coffee can full of rocks AND angry bees.

Attachments

• K754a.jpg
    K754a.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 223
Pic #5
Here is a bigger pic, this site won't let me upload the big picture of this because it's in another thread???
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showpost.php?p=222163&postcount=379
This is currently what the bike looks like, except I took this pic with the original solo seat on the bike. I currently have a Corbin dual canyon seat on it. You can see the (LOUD) Luftmeister pipe on it. Did I mention it's LOUD??? You can see the bit of flushing I had Holt do to it "alot" of years ago, probably 15 years or more.
Gilly

Attachments

• 000_1092_thumb.jpg
    000_1092_thumb.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 221
Those are still good part numbers. $6.60 ea. list for the upper caps and $1.10 list ea. for the lower buttons. Available through any dealer.

Oh, and by the way, I don't have a CAT! SERIOUSLY!!

Oh, and by the way, I don't have a CAT! SERIOUSLY!!

Cool! You're OK in my book!
Sometime I need to rummage around my moms house (where I lived for quite awhile after I bought this bike, long story) and see if I have those parts somewhere, I do remember seeing them. I'd really almost have to get a new tail section and side plates to make it look somewhat stock again. I'm pretty happy with it as-is though.
Unless I found out it is extremely rare.
But then again, one thing I've learned is that JUST because something is rare, DOESN'T mean it's valuable, and I think that can be said for all K bikes in general.

I've always loved this color, just unusual enough to get comments. People (BMW people, anyways) don't believe it's the stock color! Which is why it'd be interesting to find out if the "color batch" story is true and just how rare this color is compared to red and black. Don't tell me I have to start going to rallies and writing down colors and VIN numbers! Of ONLY 87 S's no less!!

Gilly

As an aside, has anyone EVER seen a stock-painted US spec 87 K75S in anything OTHER than red, black or Colombia Silver???? That would disprove the color-batch story right there. Wonder if anyone had an experience such as seeing the color chart for BMW cycles and requesting a particular color, and what the dealer reply would have been?? "Sorry you get what you get."????

Gilly

0882: 1987 US Spec K75S Born: March 1987 Montreal Blue:clap

Kidnapped: Dec. 30, 2007.:banghead

Recovered: Dec. 31, 2007.:heart

Don't ever let that baby out of your sight again!:nono

Back