• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75S Original Litter

Congratulations Lee. I somehow suspect you have the oldest of the original litter still able to run around. Time will tell I guess.

Cool, did you get it running yet?

No. I've just drained the tank and removed the bad fuel pump so that no further damage would occur. I've replaced the broken headlight and turn signal lenses so that it doesn't look so bad. But, unfortunately, life's priorities have this not that high on the list. I'm sure there will be no problem getting it running, but the real plan is to disassemble, repaint, and make really clean.

:dance:dance:dance

I've a feeling you won't rest until you've added #1 to the stable :)

Congrats Lee!

I guess you know about the micapeak registry:

http://micapeak.com/reg/bikes/K75/

So you're looking for VIN 0100001? This would have been a European release bike, right? Could be it's over in Germany.

Kurt,

Thanks for the link. I had forgot about that site. It does show a few more of the "original litter".

Actually I'd be looking for 150001, which was the first US spec K75S, but if 0100001 happened to fall into my lap out of the BMW bike museum, I'd be interested.:bikes

My 3 holed Brick from TX

How many more of the original litter are still kicking? Anyone??

All US spec K75Ss were frame (VIN) numbered consecutively, starting with the last six #s of 150001.

The original litter from May of 1986 was 150001 thru 150325.

The last of the line was 154600 that was born in September 1994

I have 0005 (just acquired 12/17)
Paul Glaves has 0019 (it figures he would have the oldest one) not anymore :D
36532 has 0024
Cafecubano has 0067
I have 0081
brhartw has 0106
DrPaul has 0141 (barnfind with 8k on the clock)
mgalie has 0161
ghostridery2k has 0166
dabberAT10 has 0225
35634 has 0231
Tomsljr has 0232
Ortme has 0249
gsthephani has 0250
Inline Triple has 0286

:dance :dance :dance
My K75S was bought in August of '86 in Corpus Christi TX while I was in flight training for the US Navy. Always a motorcycle first guy, it was my "Ensignmobile", the term used for the first vehicle most of us bought with our first real paycheck. Last 6 of the vin# 150269 so I am second to the last on the above list. Original owner.....45k on the now not working odometer...which is another ongoing story!!!

My 3 holed Brick

BTW, it was Marrakesh Red....then Marrakesh Orange as I did not have a garage and the paint faded. I had it painted by a guy that the late Kari Prager of Cal BMW in Mountainview, CA had recommended. It is a close second to the original color....but not enough clear coat so some dings.

Welcome to the original litter! 0269 was born on May 27, 1986.

It was originally Red Metallic #575. All red '87Ss were this color that faded terribly with time. Most red '87Ss have been repainted because of this. Many have been repainted to the '88 color Marakesh Red #643, including my #81 which was probably painted by the same guy that painted yours. I was not aware of the Red Metallic when I started this thread 13 years ago. Sorry for the confusion.

K75S 150001 Located!

The first US spec. K75S VIN 150001 has been located.

It belongs to Bob Henig of Bob' BMW of Jessup, MD. It is located in his Vintage BMW Motorcycle Museum, along with over 100 significant BMWs, at his dealership. He has had it for approximately 12 years.

He has not indicated that it would be for sale anytime soon, so the best I can do is lust after it and hope it will become a topic of one of his ZOOM virtual museum tours.

My 3 holed Brick

Welcome to the original litter! 0269 was born on May 27, 1986.

It was originally Red Metallic #575. All red '87Ss were this color that faded terribly with time. Most red '87Ss have been repainted because of this. Many have been repainted to the '88 color Marakesh Red #643, including my #81 which was probably painted by the same guy that painted yours. I was not aware of the Red Metallic when I started this thread 13 years ago. Sorry for the confusion.

No confusion...at this point in my life, I keep ALL records relating to my machines. However, I only have the TX title application, and my 600mi and 5000mi service receipts from the dealer I bought it from in Corpus; CC Cycle Salvage....so the original color I just assumed was the Marakesh. Wish I had kept the original sales receipt...I may still have it....somewhere!!!! It is an honor to be in such a small club. I knew it was one of the originals in the US since I had purchased it in '86, but didn't pay too much attention to it as I love the bike (as anyone who owns one does) and I just keep enjoying it every time I get on it. Which brings me to a question since you are obviously very well versed in all that is the K75S....I replied to this thread as a consequence of trying to find the answer to my Speedo problem....which all of us have had over the years. Now, it is completely inop even after sending it to Overseas Speedometer. I think Drew is the gentleman that is the owner, and he said it tested fine on the bench after his repairs and I have no reason to doubt him. I literally could care less if the Speedo works, but the odometer is also out as a subsystem. I've pulled the sensor on the rear, I have traced as much wiring as I could and used contact cleaner to try to reduce any resistance from the pickup to the speedo....and I still think it is a resistance problem or a ground issue. Any suggestions???:banghead

No confusion...at this point in my life, I keep ALL records relating to my machines. However, I only have the TX title application, and my 600mi and 5000mi service receipts from the dealer I bought it from in Corpus; CC Cycle Salvage....so the original color I just assumed was the Marakesh. Wish I had kept the original sales receipt...I may still have it....somewhere!!!! It is an honor to be in such a small club. I knew it was one of the originals in the US since I had purchased it in '86, but didn't pay too much attention to it as I love the bike (as anyone who owns one does) and I just keep enjoying it every time I get on it. Which brings me to a question since you are obviously very well versed in all that is the K75S....I replied to this thread as a consequence of trying to find the answer to my Speedo problem....which all of us have had over the years. Now, it is completely inop even after sending it to Overseas Speedometer. I think Drew is the gentleman that is the owner, and he said it tested fine on the bench after his repairs and I have no reason to doubt him. I literally could care less if the Speedo works, but the odometer is also out as a subsystem. I've pulled the sensor on the rear, I have traced as much wiring as I could and used contact cleaner to try to reduce any resistance from the pickup to the speedo....and I still think it is a resistance problem or a ground issue. Any suggestions???:banghead

Drvelardi,

Yes, I have info on how to troubleshoot this problem, but please do me a favor and start a new Thread addressing this problem so that this thread doesn't get cluttered with unrelated topics.

You should put the year('87) and the model (K75S) and a brief reference to the problem IN THE TITLE.
eg. : "'87 K75S Speedo/Odo issue".

And please give me permission in this thread to delete the above post.

Thanks.

Back