Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/17/07

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    So I looked around and I love this paragraph...

"EvanescenceÔÇÖs sound typifies the mush that is an ersatz rock song these days. Since the players can mostly only strum, and because they are contrapuntal cretins, all theyÔÇÖre able to produce is an amorphous blendÔÇöan ill-differentiated, sloppy sonic porridge. This structureless cacophony pleases the lazy ear because it is repetitive, and chock full of blurry, angst-ridden crescendos."

Only a muzac journo could conceive of this. They've never got beyond the pretentious teenage poetry stage, unless you know of any contrapuntal explanations?

SNC1923
    OK, OK, I get it--so I'm a little verbose.

You guys are totally cracking me up; I'm almost crying over here. Too funny and richly deserved, I might add.

Talking about vocabulary, Myram, our club president says, "Oh Tom? He's pretty cool, I guess. I only understand about half of what he's saying."

Cjack: I love that music review. It just goes to show with a sufficient amount of education and training, one can learn to write something that literally no one can understand. I can only aspire to such heights. . . .

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    Aiiiieeeeeeee, get out of my head Tom! Amazing, it's like you were there.
    Sorry about that. I've been telepathic ever since undergoing a series of being-hit-on-the-head-lessons with Lamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    A question: If I had shot the forks straight on, how could I have shown the triangle of the forks?
    Clearly, no triangle would be visible. I meant (but did not actually say) for a more straight on angle. However, the more you would move toward the front of the bike, the less you would see of the triangle. So really, my suggestion is more-or-less useless. I am a contrapuntal cretin.

You had it right to begin with.

Triangles

Thanks for your critiques! Here is what I would have submitted had I been able to use post processing. I like it better.

Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT (currently parked) 07 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    Sorry about that. I've been telepathic ever since undergoing a series of being-hit-on-the-head-lessons with Lamble.

Clearly, no triangle would be visible. I meant (but did not actually say) for a more straight on angle. However, the more you would move toward the front of the bike, the less you would see of the triangle. So really, my suggestion is more-or-less useless. I am a contrapuntal cretin.

I don't know from contrapuntal (I really don't know from contrapuntal), but I am taxed enough just for the assignment.
    Are you suggesting taking pictures for fun?
    Is that possible?
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

rocketman
    . 50 bonus points for the unprepentant pun title, "hand-made triangle."
    Only 50?????!!!!

Dang, getting cheap on us aren't ya?

Of his next two submissions, I like Rocketman's first better. The second image does have a human factor, but this is a better form study, IMHO. The wispy clouds work really well with the natural shape of this museum's roof structure. When I first looked at this, I saw a triangle. Only now do I see it composed of numerous triangles. I can't help but wonder what this might have looked like with the use of a polarizing filter--not necessarily better, but it might have added some additional contrast. I might like to trim the bottom of the image, but otherwise it's a great composition, leading as it does to the upper right-hand corner.
    I had thought of using my gradiant filter on the upper portion but it would have affected the top of the building as well. Still need to get a polarizing filter, hmmm maybe this weekend...

I did take several without the lower round part but in the end liked this better as it helped "anchor" the building and I liked the contrast of the circular form with the triagles of the roof. When I get a shot of this lit up at night I'll post it, it looks really cool peeking up through the tree line as you come up on it north bound on 95.

RM

That's why you should always wear a helmet, always...even when not riding. Would lighting the bike from the back have created a triangular shadow from the forks? Yes it would. But you mentioned no space, so that idea is a duffer... Back to my box again!
    The magilight has partially re-appeared by the way, so now I have a brake light.

...and a fairly sturdy digestive system (and flashl.....errrr torch).

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    I will admit to running this through Smugmug's auto color correction.

As we wait with baited breath for the next installment of TomÔÇÖs critique of this weeks entries, IÔÇÖll just put in my two cents worth and put my vote in for the one that really did it for me this week. Without a doubt KbasaÔÇÖs entry is the real stunner. I like it on multiple levels.

First off I like the complete lack of anything in the foreground that gives away his vantage point. He could be (as he claims) on hill but then again it could have been a rock outcropping, or yet he could just as easily have been in an airplane or helicopter. Then again he could have been fortunate enough of have convinced Pegasus to give him a ride or perhaps he has learned the mystic art of levitation. Not knowing lets the viewers imagination run wild, what fun!

Second the wonderful lighting of the ÔÇ£city across the bayÔÇØ liying just above the clouds, the mist and view of the reddish tower of the bridge pushing up through the clouds below accents the colors of the city lighting. He said heÔÇÖd photo shopped it and if I had taken this shot I know I could not have resisted either. Good on ya Dave, you took the shot to a ÔÇ£higherÔÇØ level by doing so.

Third, as I said earlier, it is definitely surrealistic in its portrayal of the subject, with an almost oil painted quality. Even though I have been in this area several times over the years, having never seen it quite like this, it really, really, makes me want to go back and see this bridge from this same vantage point, but since I canÔÇÖt right now this is the next best thing to being there.

RM

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    As we wait with baited breath for the next installment of TomÔÇÖs critique of this weeks entries, IÔÇÖll just put in my two cents worth and put my vote in for the one that really did it for me this week. Without a doubt KbasaÔÇÖs entry is the real stunner. I like it on multiple levels.

First off I like the complete lack of anything in the foreground that gives away his vantage point. He could be (as he claims) on hill but then again it could have been a rock outcropping, or yet he could just as easily have been in an airplane or helicopter. Then again he could have been fortunate enough of have convinced Pegasus to give him a ride or perhaps he has learned the mystic art of levitation. Not knowing lets the viewers imagination run wild, what fun!

Second the wonderful lighting of the ÔÇ£city across the bayÔÇØ liying just above the clouds, the mist and view of the reddish tower of the bridge pushing up through the clouds below accents the colors of the city lighting. He said heÔÇÖd photo shopped it and if I had taken this shot I know I could not have resisted either. Good on ya Dave, you took the shot to a ÔÇ£higherÔÇØ level by doing so.

Third, as I said earlier, it is definitely surrealistic in its portrayal of the subject, with an almost oil painted quality. Even though I have been in this area several times over the years, having never seen it quite like this, it really, really, makes me want to go back and see this bridge from this same vantage point, but since I canÔÇÖt right now this is the next best thing to being there.

RM
    ...and I'd add that it's the magnitude of what he's captured... a whole city scape. That's one hell of a vantage point, nicely found and nice lens pointing too.

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by lamble View Post
    The magilight has partially re-appeared by the way, so now I have a brake light.

grossjohann
    Grossjohann is back with another compelling image this week. I was really struck by this image when I saw it. I can't decide which orientation I prefer. I chose the horizontal rather arbitrarily. It's really inventive and I love the depth-of-field. The little guitarist and (monitor?) is just out of focus enough to intrigue the viewer. Only by clicking on the image and linking to your site did I realize that this is a Trivial Pursuit game. Interesting. . . . I assumed they were child's toys and I just couldn't figure out the triangles. It's a really fun and interesting photo. I wish it were brighter and the colors a bit more vibrant. Available light? Always a struggle.
    Thanks, Tom. I admire your abundant cache of creative bonne bouche and your seemingly boundless lexicon. Thank you for persevering.

This was a low-light situation, and I didn’t take the time I should have to bring in more lighting. My wife has been on my case to add some lighting cans to the living room ceiling…

Thanks. I shot it from the north end of the bridge, from a vantage point on the Marin Headlands. On this map, I was right about where the big C is on Conzelman Road.

The fog was rolling over the top of the hill, so the foreground was obscured by clouds (Pink Floyd fans raise your hands). I had about 5 minutes and managed to get a half dozen exposures before the fog completely obliterated any view from that location.

I didn't really photoshop it, but just ran it through Smugmug's Color correction, selecting auto. The other shots came out noticeably more orange, which I don't really care for, to be honest. I think the light is a golden color, but the correction amped the yellow and red up too much to look realistic. This one seems to have retained enough blue to look more normal. Given the skills, I'd make the bridge tower more orange than it is, since it truly is a very pure orange.

Around here, the Marin Headlands and the road down from Battery Wallace (where I was) are pretty regular spots for taking pictures. This time of year, we have the fog to play with. It seems to sit lower in the spring and the fall and can yield some pretty interesting views. Here's one I shot a couple years ago from the top of Mt. Tamalpais on Easter morning, just before dawn.

If any of you ever get out here, we'll take a ride up there and take some pictures. Even on a clear day it's quite a beautiful view.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by lamble View Post
    ...and I'd add that it's the magnitude of what he's captured... a whole city scape. That's one hell of a vantage point, nicely found and nice lens pointing too.
    +1
    No matter how Kbasa downplayed it, you could never get a monkey to stand still long enough to get a shot like that, even for a banana.
    Nicely done.
    Virtual shots of Patron/Don Julio for all!

Quote Originally Posted by grossjohann View Post
    Thanks, Tom. I admire your abundant cache of creative bonne bouche and your seemingly boundless lexicon. Thank you for persevering.

This was a low-light situation, and I didnt take the time I should have to bring in more lighting. My wife has been on my case to add some lighting cans to the living room ceiling
    Tom's verbocity and errudition is so refreshing. It has far more meaning than the trite, meritocratically defunct but omnipresent "Awesome!"

I've heard "awesome!" used for tomato sauce. The fact that I know my own name at a check-out is apparently worthy of awe. It was "awesome!" that I was able to select from a menu. The new coat I bought inspired an aghast and agog member of staff to mention it's awesomeness as being of the elevated status of "Well awesome".

I am waiting for the day that Mt Rainier and Mt St Helen errupt in unison and a giant tsunami hits the Pac NW from a tectonic movement out at sea.

On that day, I want to hear how folk express themselves. I suspect they'll just stand around open mouthed and silent...in awe!

So, thanks Tom for the words. They create images equally as important as those captured by cameras.