• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/17/07

Oooh. An illinois Central E-3.
attachment.php

People often add a challenging dynamic to photography. Objects can be controlled while you take as much time as you like to set up the shot, people rarely preserve the moment for you. I love portraits nearly as much for the artistic composition as for the psychology behind them.

Thanks for the idea Whatever the assignment this week, Ill try to find it in a portrait.

-Alex
Here's a great site... http://www.365portraits.com/

After seeing all the creative triangle shots I went back to the Thanksgiving dinner given by Max BMW Motorcycles. There had to be a triangle in there someplace. Finally found one - the Eternal Triangle.

No need for any commentary or evaluation here - just a casual snapshot.

When I look back at many shots from all over the world it is always the pictures with people in them that are my favorites.

Interesting. I was thinking about this too and I found Paul's interpretation with the three ladies to be one of the most intruiging interpretations of the theme posted this week. And as a side note, on my pbase site of nearly 11,000 images, those with a human presence (portrait, casual shot, etc.) get significantly more views than those without human presence. It's an old advertising hook as well: shots that include people are viewed more and longer than those that do not include people.

I didn't shoot anything this week. :blush

Edit: Dave, color correction or not, that's a beautiful shot! Awesome shooting.

I will admit to running this through Smugmug's auto color correction.

223190781-XL-1.jpg

+3 it is almost surreal, more of a painting than a photograph!

What was your vantage point in taking this, and is that the Golden Gate or some other bridge?

RM

I'm not sure there is any award for the most triangles, but counters can take a crack at the windmill tower base in #22 in this thread. I'm not sure I know the correct answer either - but I took about 15 shots before I decided I liked this one the best.

Wow Dave, must have been a lot of traffic on the bridge to kick out that much exhaust smoke. Ok, seriously, being a former resident of the Richmond district I can say I've easily seen a thousand pix of Baghdad by the Bay, this is one of the best. Were you at the rest stop or on that side road to the north that goes out to Bonita point, I think that's what it's called?

+3 it is almost surreal, more of a painting than a photograph!

What was your vantage point in taking this, and is that the Golden Gate or some other bridge?

RM

Thanks. This is indeed, the Golden Gate bridge, yesterday afternoon about 4:45 or so. I shot this from Battery Wallace, at the top of the Marin Headlands.

The original exposure was somewhat lighter as fog was rolling over the top of the hill, so I hit it with Smugmug's color correction. I think the rules here are for unprocessed shots, so while I enjoy this one quite a bit, I don't believe it's really an appropriate entry.

Maybe next weekend...

Gorgeous interpretation, Dave. I crawl humbly in your shadow. . . .

:bow

Thanks. If I'd made it up to where I shot this a bit sooner, the bridge tower would have been much brighter. I think that would have really brought this shot to another level. In this picture, it looks almost reddish, but the tower is International Orange and should stand out much more than it does.

I'm like a chimpanzee with a camera, for the most part. I just keep pushing the button and once in a while something interesting falls out of it.

Here's another one, where the color correction was less subtle. It's way too orange/red to my taste and it looks like I need to clean my camera. Check the spots in the lower right corner and center right. :bluduh

223191014-XL-1.jpg

. . . it looks like I need to clean my camera. Check the spots in the lower right corner and center right. :bluduh

I like the orange one, too.

I'm getting those same goobers on mine. I used to be able to just blow those out in a sensor cleaning, but I'm now thinking I may actually have to go in with tools, which makes me nervous. . . .

I'll have to consult with dgrin on this.

This is a great site. Lots (365) portrait ideas... I really like some of the wide-angle shots. A new lens just made it to my Christmas list!

Pray tell, which one?

I'm lookin' real hard at one of these:

canon_70-200_2.8L_usm_lens_big.jpg

I've got a sale pending on my 75-300, so it's beginning to look like a done deal.

:brad

70-200mm 2.8

Tom, I use a Canon 70-200mm 2.8 quite a bit, it's one of the sharpest lenses Canon makes (IMHO,) the IS works great and the fast 2.8 lens really lets you throw the background out of focus. It's not cheap, but, it is one of the most useable lenses you can get. PM me if you have any questions re this lens.

By the way, great commentary!

I like the orange one, too.

I'm getting those same goobers on mine. I used to be able to just blow those out in a sensor cleaning, but I'm now thinking I may actually have to go in with tools, which makes me nervous. . . .

I'll have to consult with dgrin on this.

i just cleaned mine. No biggy really. After reading up on it got the sensor brush and woosh all gone. The clincher for me was reading that the filter in front of the sensor is rated at a hardness level of 5 on a scale of 0 to 10 with 0 being talcum powder and 10 being diamond. So the risk of scratching it is really low with the proper brush. It seemed to be more a matter of not just moving the dust around but removing it by "charging" the brush prior to sweeping and always cleaning and recharging it on very pass. Worked well, though I did need to go at it twice since I didn't quite get it on the first pass.

RM

This is gorgeous too! Stunning, really. (Rules? Bah!)

You wouldn't happen to know the aperture of this exposure off hand? I always understood (not saying it's true) that dust isn't apparent below f/5.6. Smaller apertures (8/11/16/22/32) supposedly show dust. I'm just curious. Thanks. :wave

Pray tell, which one?

I'm lookin' real hard at one of these:

canon_70-200_2.8L_usm_lens_big.jpg

I've got a sale pending on my 75-300, so it's beginning to look like a done deal.

:brad

Yike$! This look$ like a nice len$.

I was thinking the <a href="http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm" target="_new">AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED Lens with VR</a>. It would basically replace my Nikon AF Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8D (which I purchased with the body (D70) before I did any research - damn impulse buy!).

Last edited:
Back