• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/17/07

S

SNC1923

OK, it's an assignment, and one can't have an assignment without a few rules. Please review these simple yet crucial guidelines for this week's photo assignment:

• Photos must be shot this weekend: Fri, Sat, or Sun.
  • You must provide the EXIF information if asked (we'll help you, if you'd like to know how to get it).
  • No photoshop alteration (we're looking to improve your skills with your camera, not software).
  • Your photograph must adhere to the theme, which will be described below.
  • Post only one photo per post, so that commentary can be easily provided for that photo. You may post more than one photo, but try to keep it to a handful.
  • We encourage you to creatively title your photo so it can be referred to later.
  • Post your photos in this thread only. Do not start a thread in reply to this assignment. Please post your photos no later than next Wednesday.
  • And, the most important rule: have fun! We're looking to spread the joy that many of us derive from taking pictures, particularly ones that tell a story of some kind.

This week's theme: "Triangle"

It doesn't take a geometry teacher to recognize a triangle. This three-sided shape is arguablly one of the most basic and recognizable forms. It is also, by definition, two-dimensional. Sure, you can find a triangle and take a picture of it, but where's the sport in that? Can you find something triangular (not pyramidal) in your composition or subject matter?

It's Friday. Go nuts.

...and on first glance, it all seemed like such an ease. :D

Oh! Goodie! I get to be the first!

So do I win?:stick

Taken this morning at work (ok, so it was a slow day)

Self portrait taken with my P&S Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W100

"Hand Made Triangle" Ha Ha!

triangle-hands.jpg

Ok, so technically its not that great, but I thought is was a fun idea.

RM

So do I win?:stick

Taken this morning at work (ok, so it was a slow day)

Self portrait taken with my P&S Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W100

"Hand Made Triangle" Ha Ha!

triangle-hands.jpg

Ok, so technically its not that great, but I thought is was a fun idea.

RM

Actually, I think this is very cool on a number of levels. As Statdawg points out, you've got triangles in your ring. Your face fits perfectly within and the exposure is surprisingly good. The flashes on P&S cameras really work wonders sometimes. . . .

Imaginative interpretation.

Actually, I think this is very cool on a number of levels. As Statdawg points out, you've got triangles in your ring. Your face fits perfectly within and the exposure is surprisingly good. The flashes on P&S cameras really work wonders sometimes. . . .

Imaginative interpretation.

Indeed. Quite an interesting shot (techically and otherwise). Triangles are everywhere: ring, between the hands, between the fingers, creases in the palms (short life line, though--just kidding :D ), and I'm sure more I'm not seeing. Very cool pic to start off the weekend! Nice job Rocketman. :clap

Just checking...would a picture of three Brits count as a trianglo?:brow

If it does, I'm going to need a bigger box.

Just checking...would a picture of three Brits count as a trianglo?:brow

If it does, I'm going to need a bigger box.

maybe you should think outside the box?:D (or get smaller friends ? Ha Ha!)

RM

Perfect! I was just now thinking about triangles on motorcycles then this pops up! Nice!:clap at first glance I had thought of suggesting that having the background fully black would have improved the scene, but then again seeing just a tad of some other parts of bike gives a better sense of "contectedness" to the lights.

RE: the technical aspects of my photo, my thought had been that by moving more to the right( of the photo) I could have gotten the framing a little better by not having the blinds on one side keeping the shot more open in the background and then opening them some to get some side-lighting on my face to give it more depth. Also getting the lines in the ceiling centered such that they would recede into the background evenly on both sides (which might add one more triangular aspect to the whole). I was pleased with the idea as I said and for my first shot it did come out nicely centered re: my face within the triangle. Guess I'll just leave it after reading the responses. And yes I was kinda hoping it might be an interesting start and maybe give folks a sense of adventure (and perhaps inspiration, if I'm not being too bold!) for this weekends theme.

RM

Ahhh Triangles...got lots of those everywhere. They make the world go square. I think this is somewhere around 135mm at f5.6, but I forgot to look actually. New camera and stuff. I took a billion pixels trying for some depth of field and still reduced clutter, but settled for this. What do you think of the triangle with the green eye. I love this digital film...'ya use it, 'ya still got it...

Lets call it "Ahhh Triangles".

Attachments

• DSC_0020 (2).JPG
    DSC_0020 (2).JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
And yes I was kinda hoping it might be an interesting start and maybe give folks a sense of adventure (and perhaps inspiration, if I'm not being too bold!) for this weekends theme.

Mission accomplished.

(The inspiring part, not the bold part!)

Ahhh Triangles...got lots of those everywhere. They make the world go square. I think this is somewhere around 135mm at f5.6, but I forgot to look actually. New camera and stuff. I took a billion pixels trying for some depth of field and still reduced clutter, but settled for this. What do you think of the triangle with the green eye. I love this digital film...'ya use it, 'ya still got it...

There was a model train manufacturer of my childhood called "Triang", is this one of theirs as that would add a whole dairylea* of extra cred.

*ref to a triangular packaged cheese spread, always advertised as, "adds goodness to bread".

Cjack,

Beaucoup triangle! What a great shot. What is your new camera (forgive me for asking if you've already told us). The quality of light in your shot is beautiful, very even and smooth. You compose the shot in such a way to maximize triangle exposure. Very nice.

If you look at the image as bisected by the train tracks, the lower half is much busier and more interesting than the top half. I wonder if this were shot from a slightly lower angle? Just a thought. What you have accomplished here is very effective, and as I said, a really technically excellent photo.

Cjack,

Beaucoup triangle! What a great shot. What is your new camera (forgive me for asking if you've already told us). The quality of light in your shot is beautiful, very even and smooth. You compose the shot in such a way to maximize triangle exposure. Very nice.

If you look at the image as bisected by the train tracks, the lower half is much busier and more interesting than the top half. I wonder if this were shot from a slightly lower angle? Just a thought. What you have accomplished here is very effective, and as I said, a really technically excellent photo.

It's a D80. I could try some lower shot. Maybe I will. The flash is that SB800 and bounces off the walls pretty nicely. Luckily, Viki who had painted this room 5 times trying to get the right color (orange, pink, green, etc., etc.) finally ended up with Realtor Off White.
As to the train company, Tri-ang, thanks for that mention. Interesting trains.

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/

Jack,

I don't mean to imply that you need one, because the lighting in your shot is perfect.

However, I have one of these and find it to be an invaluable tool, especially when in a room that one's wife hasn't painted perfectly. Best $20 I ever spent.

Jack,

I don't mean to imply that you need one, because the lighting in your shot is perfect.

However, I have one of these and find it to be an invaluable tool, especially when in a room that one's wife hasn't painted perfectly. Best $20 I ever spent.

Thanks. Easier than repainting the room. She denied that she used some of the colors I listed. I stand corrected.

Took a little ride down to the Quantico Marine Corp Museum as it has a nice triangular roof.....

These were shot in RAW mode so I had to edit them but only for conversion to jpeg.

While I like the first one cause it shows the use of multiple triangles in the structure.

The second one is more interesting in that it has a human element to it.

MCM-1.jpg

RM

Back