• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Thinking of starting a riders group in Chicago 'burbs

uncutshirt

Apologies if this has been done before but I could not find what I was looking for and I want to test the waters for interest.

There are three things that I look for when I am looking at motorcycle tours: Friends, Support, and Expertise. Isnt that why we pay for tours but that is not what tour operators advertise  they advertise the experience first and all else second. See Copper Canyon  yada yada  and the friendly and experienced guides yada yada"

So  I was thinking that I am satisfying what I want out of travel as an indirect result of paying the premium of an organized tour. I suspect others do the same. All we want is to go out and ride off the beaten path swap stories  have a few drinks  and have someone call 911 if we break a leg

LetÔÇÖs form a group for the express purpose of getting out there and supporting each other on a motorcycle without paying that premium. Here is my proposal:
ÔÇó LetÔÇÖs get together for an extended trip once year ÔÇô about 5 days or so
ÔÇó Optionally, overseas trip proposal - once every year ÔÇô go/no-go depending on interest, e.g. ring tour of Iceland for two weeks
ÔÇó Plus, twice a year ÔÇô long weekend trips somewhere agreeable to most

ThatÔÇÖs it. We all are busy people and itÔÇÖs tough to find time to ride but if we agree to just a few ground rules ÔÇô weÔÇÖll be on our way:
ÔÇó We pay our own way
ÔÇó Simple majority wins
ÔÇó We try to make the trips
ÔÇó We take care of each other on the road

We all have a common purpose that will satisfy our individual goals. In this way, weÔÇÖll be getting exactly what we want out of trip: Travel is better with friends; there is someone to help or call for help when things go wrong. What we are missing is the local and practical expertise that an experienced tour operator can provide but with all things being equal, I would prefer to learn with friends rather than from a tour company.

I'll sponsor the website and serve as an administrator. All are welcome regardless of location or bike.

~ curt

In for the Ring Road

OK, I'm in for the ring tour of Iceland. I've got good rain gear.

In the meantime did you know that Whole Foods in Chicago carries Icelandic lamb? Yum!

Holly

Hey Curt!

Have seen or heard from you since the National, how've you been?
I might be interested in the club, keep me in mind and let's keep in touch.

Cool.

Wez

Have seen or heard from you since the National, how've you been?
I might be interested in the club, keep me in mind and let's keep in touch.

Cool.

Wez

Wez!!! The guy who dusted me on his new 800???
How's it been - I tried to catch up with you on last day of National. Glad to hear from you again.

Definitely will keep you in the loop

Wez!!! The guy who dusted me on his new 800???
How's it been - I tried to catch up with you on last day of National. Glad to hear from you again.

Definitely will keep you in the loop

Dude, you camped with us until you and your two buds blew out on Saturday, don't you remember? :D Perhaps not, there is copious imbibementage going on at an event like that. Yes, do keep me in the loop.

QUOTE=wezul;260569]Dude, you camped with us until you and your two buds blew out on Saturday, don't you remember? :D Perhaps not, there is copious imbibementage going on at an event like that. Yes, do keep me in the loop.[/QUOTE]

$1 beers - good times :beer

I'm game for a winter ride but I can hang until March or April

Anyway - I'm game for a winter ride but I can hang until March or April. I have been thinking about a theme for a first ride - maybe geocaching
Plus - it gives me an excuse to finally buy a GPS

http://www.geocaching.com/faq/ : "Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache."

To be honest - this could be fun - work in a little camping and you got yourself an adventure

or... something more sedate like 3 days, 3 Cities, and three pub crawls

~ curt

sounds good to me

I'll follow the post to see how it developes, D'lilah and I are always up for a ride work permitting.

I'll follow the post to see how it developes, D'lilah and I are always up for a ride work permitting.

I'll put some more thought into over Thansgiving and I will try to loop in some other riders but lets toss out a date for the first ride : April 11, 12, and 13th.

I'll just be coming back from a trip from the UK and will be aching for a ride - anywhere... in the continental US.

Any suggestions? Any Ideas for the longer trip?

~ curt

Vintage K?

Always interested in having friends around since I ride a vintage K.

Isn't a 1985 bike a little young to be identified as "vintage"?

'Scuse me, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've been trying to figure out what classic, vintage, and antique means when referring to BMW motorcycles. The Internet is a mass of confusion regarding these terms.

I thought 30 years old represented the time frame for vintage, and I thought I qualified as an "antique":wave

Whada ya say?

Might your new group cross the Missouri line? - I realize that's a ways out of the suburbs.

Isn't a 1985 bike a little young to be identified as "vintage"?

'Scuse me, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've been trying to figure out what classic, vintage, and antique means when referring to BMW motorcycles. The Internet is a mass of confusion regarding these terms.

I thought 30 years old represented the time frame for vintage, and I thought I qualified as an "antique":wave

Whada ya say?

Might your new group cross the Missouri line? - I realize that's a ways out of the suburbs.

1985 - As far K's go - thats vintage :thumb

As far heading MO goes - as long as we are riding out of Illinois then that is good ride. You're welcome to meet up wherever the first trip is headed... Just give me a ring if you want to come and I'll make arrangements.

:thumb im in.i live in chicago north burbs and love to see it thappen.
just a idea>>>TOYS FOR TOTS ride,anybody up for it?
ride safe,martin

-------------------------------------------
84 CZ 350 (where all this started)
87 K75s (under construction)
05 Kawasaki Z750s
03 Yamaha R1

I'm game - details?

Ring around the Lake

Very nice :thumb
How many miles?

So - I was talking to a friend at work and he had an idea that he has been tossing around with his riding buddies - Ring Tour around Lake Michigian.

It has crossed my mind before but never seemed to find the time. Plus - North of Green Bay on the West and North of Traverse City are an unknown to me.

So what you think: An easy introductory ride.
After that - backcountry roads to Alaska???

First ride on April 11, 12, and 13th
Ride around Lake Michigian:
http://www.great-lakes.net/tourism/circletour/michigan/
Depending on who wants to come - we can either camp or hotel. I'd personally
If others want - we can work in a theme: Geocaching, etc... ??

Attachments

• michigan_map.gif
    michigan_map.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 294
Back