• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thinking of starting a riders group in Chicago 'burbs

Hey all,

I've been trading emails and we have a time and date to meet and plan out a trip or two.

Who can make a meeting on 1/09 (wed) in Lake Bluff? Beemer01 suggested we meet at 6pm at:

Mccormick's Restaurant & Lounge
5 N Skokie Hwy, Lake Bluff, IL 60044-1764, United States

I know its a bit far north for some but we can trade off on locations over time.

Happy Holidays

~ curt

At the risk of frightening people away I think I may drop in on the Wednesday meeting. See ya all there.

Wow, this is shaping up nicely. Does McCormicks know we are descending upon them? I'm trying to visualize the area around Knauz and not many places pop into my head and those that do are none too large.
Anyroad, doesn't matter. Still the 9th at 6 p.m., yes?

:bolt

Yep.

McCormicks it is. The regulars don't mind the additional company - though I can't wait to see how they are handling the new Illinois smoking ban imposed my our 'way too involved' State government.:dunno

:drink See you there!

And while I'm on this topic - isn't there a official Chicago Chapter of the BMW MOA? Before this renegade group gets too organized, it might make sense to consider joining an existing organization too?

I have never been a part of a "club" that started from day one. Let us make this our own.:bar

Existing Group

And while I'm on this topic - isn't there a official Chicago Chapter of the BMW MOA? Before this renegade group gets too organized, it might make sense to consider joining an existing organization too?

Actually, I found the group, Northern Illinois BMW, back in Nov and got myself invited to their next meeting on the the 8th. There are listed as a yahoo group but membership is not automatic. They actually denied my yahoo request to join the group but the president of the group went out of his way to invite me to the group's xmas and new year's get-togethers. They want new members but they want to meet first and see if all get along.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/NIBMWR/

They seem like good folk. I was planning on checking them out first and letting others know what its all about. My impression so far is that they do not ride as much socialize. All things being equal, I like the group that we put togther so far - like OU182 said - lets make it our own.

~ curt

McCormicks it is. The regulars don't mind the additional company - though I can't wait to see how they are handling the new Illinois smoking ban imposed my our 'way too involved' State government.:dunno

:drink See you there!

As a precaution, is there a place to crash nearby in case I have too much fun? :drink

Hotel or motel nearby?

Chicago Region BMW

As a member of Chicago Region BMW Group, I've enjoyed some nice trips. Met lots of good people. Jerry, who's the president of the group manages to get better rates for the members for hotel accommodations at the National Rallies. I've so far liked being part of this group. It's a fair size group, as a matter of fact, CRBMW got the award at the West Bend for the most attending members.

Uncut -

Couple of motels around the corner(s) if it gets too late.

Funny how much sooners late comes the older I get:scratch

are you asking if my cage is silver??
here it is
bmwwithengine004.jpg

Is there any other color?:p

Food for thought

Here are couple of ideas for riding north and south. We can discuss and gather opinions on possible scenarios.

Michigan U.P.

Attachments

• 2008 BMWRA Rally Upper Peninsula Michigan.jpg
    2008 BMWRA Rally Upper Peninsula Michigan.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 103
Food for thought

Going South perhaps - Shawnee Hills (National Forest)

Attachments

• Shawnee Hills Scenic Byway, IL.jpg
    Shawnee Hills Scenic Byway, IL.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 102
Ferry vs. I-80?

Several years ago I took a cross country trip running into the deep South, up the East coast and back to Chicago. The scariest part of the trip was the part around the Southern tip of Lake Michigan where I-80, the Skyway, I-65, the Ryan and the Bishop Ford all seem to merge within a few miles.:bolt

Not my favorite stretch of road in either a cage or on a bike. The ferry would be fun IMHO.

Several years ago I took a cross country trip running into the deep South, up the East coast and back to Chicago. The scariest part of the trip was the part around the Southern tip of Lake Michigan where I-80, the Skyway, I-65, the Ryan and the Bishop Ford all seem to merge within a few miles.:bolt

Not my favorite stretch of road in either a cage or on a bike. The ferry would be fun IMHO.

I agree, I-80 is nasty around the IL/IN border especially on bike + plus the ferry sounds like fun - never been.

Here are couple of ideas for riding north and south. We can discuss and gather opinions on possible scenarios.

Michigan U.P.

I picked up a new road atlas the other day with camping sites in all states. We plot out our trip against available sites.

Plus - what about on the return coming down central WI - nice through Baraboo and Green County with a stop in New Glarus?

What are we thinking about how long? two - three - four - five days?

Going South perhaps - Shawnee Hills (National Forest)

I like this trip - new territory for me. Since the Lake Michigian ride in April is a little sketchy around the UP - lets consider doing this instead and do Lake Michigian in May???

Back