• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Non-members at Gillette

I have some angst when we assume all BMW riders are leave my tent open and leave my key in the ignition honest while riders of other Marquees can not demonstrate that same high standard.

But even if other riders want to attend, $35 will not gain them admission unless they are MOA members or guests of MOA members.

Last edited:
I was/am unaware of anyone having been turned away due to lack of a BMWMOA member endorsement. I am aware it is the official policy but I was unaware of anyone wanting to participate being denied entry. It is my belief, and I MAY BE WRONG ON THIS POINT, that people may be admitted as a guest of the club, or an individual worker, at the registration tent. I could see how that clause could be invoked to denie entry if the MOA registration folks felt a situation required it. Most business' have a sign on the door these days saying "we may deny service to anyone", I don't see this as any different.

I certainly am not suggesting anything about the honesty of any motorcyclists as to a brand of motorcycle, in fact I would find that absurd. Any referrence about brand of bike didn't come from me. I think I'm the same person I was when I rode Harleys, possibly a bit wiser. :D

If anyone posting here is personally aware of someone being turned away at the gate due to lack of a "sponsor" I'd certainly like to read about it.

I'm not nearly as concerned with the printed policies of the MOA as I am regarding how they/we go about our business. I have never felt anything but a totally friendly atmosphere at any rally I have attended and well... yea I have seen a lot of tent flaps open and keys hanging in bikes. That statement has nothing to do with other people or get togethers nor did I intend to infer that. It is a first hand observation of what I have personally witnessed at BMWMOA events.

Last edited:
Don't bust a valve this is just a bit of obseservation

If I worked at registration, and somebody was standing there about to be turned back for not being a member, I would first of all give him some free drink coupons, shake his hand, thank him for coming, then SELL HIM A DAMN MEMBERSHIP DUH! Cut a deal, give him 20% off on the entry fee if he pays full price on a 2 year membership! While your at it, sell him the /7 behind the tent, so now he has a Beemer! If you can't sell, you shouldn't be in the reception tent!

Now if I was in line behind this guy and he was refused because he had no sponser, Would I most likely make an immediate offer of sponsorship UNLESS the guy/gal was drunk or otherwise being an obnoxious jerk? That would be the moral line for me. From what I saw at the rally was a camaraderie I have never seen anywhere else, and wouldn't want to dilute that in any way.

BUT

This is a great club; BMWs have this great fraternity, not snobbish and not discriminatory; But the club rally may have to dilute in terms of types of people in order to survive in this changing world; and that I believe is a fact.

Many of us found our way here, and have friends we wish to introduce to the BMW MOA Rally. I am doing my best, have a friend groomed, and shopping for his first beemer, but it's not the only way to bring in new members..

However in reality I got to stick with Mark Twain. Mr. Clemens is known for the line I have to paraphrase here: I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member....:deal

Last edited:
However in reality I got to stick with Mark Twain. Mr. Clemens is known for the line I have to paraphrase here: I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member....:deal

Wow, all these years I thought Groucho Marx came up with that line.

I rolled in on my HD by myself, paid the entrance fee for the day pass ($35.00). I Immediately volunteered and started signing up others. I don't recall anyone asking me about a sponsor. I was asked if I had a membership and was solicited to get one when I didn't. I never met any resistance to being there. I felt very welcome. :clap

Go to any concert for someone of any notoriety and you will pay at least $35.00 for two hours entertainment.

Wow, all these years I thought Groucho Marx came up with that line.

Er, who the hell remembers this stuff but it was grouchos line? thats why I had to paraphrase the phrase, I guess i better paraphrase the author!

Let me restate..."somebody great with a mustache once said........":buds

Go to any concert for someone of any notoriety and you will pay at least $35.00 for two hours entertainment.

I'd sure love to find some good concerts for ONLY $35. The 'at least' part is the difficult bit.

I don't have a BMW (see the bright yellow Honda 599 in my avatar) but I've found that BMW riders have a lot in common with me and the way I ride, so I decided to sign up. (As for the bikes, I am very impressed with the F800s even though I have no need for one at the moment!) I also was interested in joining the crew at the rallies, so it was an easy choice.

going to nationals

I don't have a BMW (see the bright yellow Honda 599 in my avatar) but I've found that BMW riders have a lot in common with me and the way I ride, so I decided to sign up. (As for the bikes, I am very impressed with the F800s even though I have no need for one at the moment!) I also was interested in joining the crew at the rallies, so it was an easy choice.

hey. Are you going to the Nationals? If so, how and when are you going? I'm in Glen Ivy and considering going. I figure ~ 2 days to get there, camping somewhere on the way. Do you have anyone to ride with, yet?:groovy

Back