• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Non-members at Gillette

rkasal

Unavailable for comment
Hello, I can't seem to find the answer to this question. There's a couple of people who wish to ride with me to Gillette. Two of the group do not own BMW's. I'm hoping to change their opinions. :heart

My question is, are non-members allowed to attend? I'm thinking at least a couple will join once they go.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, I can't seem to find the answer to this question. There's a couple of people who wish to ride with me to Gillette. Two of the group do not own BMW's. I'm hoping to change their opinions. :heart

My question is, are non-members allowed to attend? I'm thinking at least a couple will join once they go.

Thanks in advance!

Yes!

Open to BMW riders and their guests! You are their host.

And at registration nobody is looking at the bike. And in the campground unless they have straight piped behemoths with a calliope attached nobody cares, except they might want to take pictures.

I had a guy the volunteered to work first aid. He was not an MOA member but it was nice that he volunteered his time. I am hoping that he is convinced to become a member. His name is Sonny Yuen. A super nice guy that fit in very well with all of us.
i am sure your friends will enjoy the Gillette rally.

Take Care
PC

Thanks in advance!

174533926-M.jpg

No, just 4 bikes parked together in harmony showing anyone can come.

Not quite anyone - I was surprised to learn that policy is MOA members and their guests. Adhering strictly to the policy in place riders who are not members or guests of members may not enter the rally.

As a champion of cash flow, no matter what the color of the money this policy surprise me.

I learned it is a matter of protection of member property.

I went as a guest on a non-BMW ride and had a great time. I volunteered everyday and felt very welcome.

this photo must have been a guest- we got a great kick out of the signage.- ok - so I cannot get the photo to attach; it is of a dark green (non bmw) in front of a "Manure Only, No Plastic, No Glass, No Paper" sign- anyone else see it Friday night?

Loss of revenue

While my wife and I were in Wisconsin at the national rally, we were lucky enough to have friends who lived in the area and were our personal guides. We followed the Harley for two 8 hour days. Late Saturday afternoon we went to the fair grounds to check things out. Even though they ribbed us for two days about riding a BMW, they wanted to come in and check out what a BMW was like and the products the vendors had available. They were turned away at the front door, so they told us they would check and see if they sold day passes and would meet us inside. After an hour or so we went out to check on them only to find them sitting waiting for us. They were told it would cost them $70.00 to get in, (price for the whole weekend). My wife and I were appawled to find out no day passes were available. They told us to sit and watch how many people were getting turned away. In fifteen minutes we watched ten people get turned away. I can only imagine how many were turned away in the three days of the event. Not only was BMWMOA , (not to mention the vendors) loosing money but also loosing the possibilty of turning some people on to BMW's. I read in the BMWMOA magazines questions on how we can get new and younger riders interested. It sure wont happen at the national rallies as long as this is there policy. I have read in the forum others who have commented on this very subject.
This issue needs to be addressed.

Yes!

Open to BMW riders and their guests! You are their host.

And at registration nobody is looking at the bike. And in the campground unless they have straight piped behemoths with a calliope attached nobody cares, except they might want to take pictures.

Haha, no, no straight pipes. We are so quiet most people probably won't even know we are there. One of the two guys coming from California thought he wouldn't be welcome. Another BMWMOA member from the east coast talked him into it so I think we're all coming. Should be a good time.

A group of us heading in from the east and a group from the west with one from the NW. Now, if only they had decent beer.

While my wife and I were in Wisconsin at the national rally, Late Saturday afternoon we went to the fair grounds to check things out. Even though they ribbed us for two days about riding a BMW, they wanted to come in and check out what a BMW was like and the products the vendors had available. They were turned away at the front door, They were told it would cost them $70.00 to get in, (price for the whole weekend). I can only imagine how many were turned away in the three days of the event. Not only was BMWMOA , (not to mention the vendors) loosing money but also loosing the possibilty of turning some people on to BMW's.
This issue needs to be addressed.

$35 entrance fee is low considering having the chance to win expensive door prizes & maybe a bike! If you stay for 3 days, you really get your moneys worth.

We met a young couple at West Bend just about to get into riding BMW's. They were local & intended on visiting the site for one day (Friday). They thought the $35 entry fee was a little high until they hung around awhile, picked their new bikes from the demo display (F800's) & tried on gear for hours. They decided to hang around to see what happened after dark & they would be back all day Saturday to check their tickets & see what the closing ceremony was like, have a couple beers & check out the bands. They said they were having too much fun to leave. They also said they would not be able to make Gillette because they are taking 08 to get their camping gear, practice short trips & get the gadgets they need for the future. They would definately be at the 2009 Rally.

I vote for no day passes. :deal

$35 entrance fee is low considering having the chance to win expensive door prizes & maybe a bike! If you stay for 3 days, you really get your moneys worth.

We met a young couple at West Bend just about to get into riding BMW's. They were local & intended on visiting the site for one day (Friday). They thought the $35 entry fee was a little high until they hung around awhile, picked their new bikes from the demo display (F800's) & tried on gear for hours. They decided to hang around to see what happened after dark & they would be back all day Saturday to check their tickets & see what the closing ceremony was like, have a couple beers & check out the bands. They said they were having too much fun to leave. They also said they would not be able to make Gillette because they are taking 08 to get their camping gear, practice short trips & get the gadgets they need for the future. They would definately be at the 2009 Rally.

I vote for no day passes. :deal

I don't have enough information to opine as to whether they should or should not have day passes but they should tell people what they might miss on each day. This may entice people to purchase an admission.

I don't have enough information to opine as to whether they should or should not have day passes but they should tell people what they might miss on each day. This may entice people to purchase an admission.

Do they sell memberships at the gate? They ought to.

non members

The day pass question comes up every year, but usually not this early.

The short form of the answer is: "We have day passes. They are $35 each.
They are good for one, two, three or four days. You can decide how many days you would like to use them for."

There are quite a few compelling reasons for this policy. No I am not going into them now, later or again for the umpteenth year in a row. It might change someday, but I'm not holding my breath. :brow

Friedle

Since I've read about day passes before, and for some reason I doubt the subject will stop here, I'll voice my opinion sooner rather than later.

I went to the board meeting and tour of the Camplex in Gillette. One of the things I observed that I hadn't given much thought to were the discussions about security. By that, I mean a fully fenced perimiter with controlled access points. I'm sure there's other security as well but I'm not discussing that.

In going to past rallies I never really had any sense of "Security." I now believe it is a major concern but is kept very low key. At rallies we stroll through literally millions of dollars worth of motorcycles, GPS's, radar detectors, bikes with the keys in the ignition, helmets, tents, sleeping bags, Kermit chairs and lots of other high value, very portable, easily sold stuff.

I think there is a reason to not have $5 or $10 day passes. It allows us, the members, to keep our quasi open society with a realitive high degree of probability that our stuff will be there when we get back to the tent at night. I know when I motorcycle tour around the country I would never go for a day ride and leave my stuff laying around any KOA or State or National camp site the way I do at a BMW rally. Maybe I'm nuts or paranoid but that's my opinion.

In short, to some extent, I believe $35 keeps out the undesireables. Might it also exclude some people we would love to let in, yes probably so, but I'll take the trade off. Would $35 stop a determined professional thief? Of course not. Might $35 stop some casual punks who may be walking around a "biker rally" from picking up a momento? Yea, it just might keep them out. :bikes

Back