• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My First pair of Tourance Tires

redclfco

I have never had this tire before, It felt great on the way home. Anybody got a guess as to how long they would last on my GS? How many miles can I get on the rear driving "normal"?

My last dunlop lasted about 8000 and that was letting it go way too long.Most of my miles unfortuately are on asphalt.

thanks!

Red

Riding styles

I have used tourances for 6 plus years and 83,000 miles on my 02 GS and they average 8-10 thousand on the rear and 10 to 13 thousand on the front. I tried Dunlops and switched back. That is a great tire and search around for good prices on line.

gpodzo

It is not how fast you go. . . it is how you go fast.

I had a bad experience with a Tourance on my'03 Alaska trip. Put it on in Fairbanks and 3000 miles later, it had a flat spot with bald tread. The rest of the tire had 3/16" tread left. Changed it out in Grand Forks, ND with what I could get--a Duro (Chinese tire).

Metzeler Tourance Opinion

I am 185lbs, 90% of my riding is solo. My tire pressure is 29 front, 32 rear. Ambient temperatures that I'm riding, vary from 28?? to 110?? farenheit. Living in the Pacific North-West requires me riding in the wet conditions more than average. I used those tires on my 2001 R1150GS excusivley on paved roads. and I absolutely loved performance of those tires. In regular road conditions they performed flawlessly, excelent traction, razor-sharp handling, quiet, and predictable behaviors. I consider my riding style to be smooth, and consistent, without too many hard braking, or accelerating.
And I understand this has huge impact on the tire life-expectancy.
Never the less, my original set lasted 30,000 miles - yes 30,000 miles. Even mechanics at Ride West BMW were suprised. On my previous bike, R1100GS that came with Michelins, I got 28,700 miles on the first set. They were just as good as Metzelers. So, in my opinion, if your riding style is similar to mine you can not go wrong with either one of those. Good luck with your choice.

-Gregory Turek

I got 14k out of the rear & 22k out of the front originals on my 12GS.

Can't get over 10k & 15k on 1150.

I usually replace both at the same time somewhere between 12 and 15K. Around the 12 mark I start looking at them more often and point out to myself how nice it is to have new rubber.

Back