• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Show us your bike

I sold my R100 to buy a perfect, low-mileage, still uner warranty R11rs in 1997.

This photo was taken on the Dempster Highway, about 130 miles off pavement, when I pulled over to fix a flat.

A day later, my partner's R11gs would be totalled in the Northwest Territories, about another 160 miles further north.

For all the details, the Alaska trip is over on the IBMWR site.

Take a look at:
http://www.ibmwr.org/pastevnt/grosjeanalaska/alaska.html

Attachments

• r11rs-flat.jpg
    r11rs-flat.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 397
The BMW R11rs was destroyed in a collision with a van. The ABS worked great, it was 45F and dark on November 20, 1999... I didn't suffer any broken bones bouncing off the van, but the bike was totalled.

We'd lost our local BMW dealer by then (Schiets in Fremont), the settelment had drug out nearly 3 months before being settled (since there were no skid marks, they felt I didn't try to stop), and eventually the van driver was found to be completely at fault.

But by then I had only about 2 weeks to get ready for Bike Week..!

The local Honda-Yamaha-Kawasaki-Suzuki dealer had a new Concours in stock, the saddlebags were big enough to carry my laptop, so I bought it.

Here it is, on an 1100 mile trip with my then 6 y/o son, Jean-Luc.

BTW, this trip was on the Web, but currently isn't. However, I have included it in a book that is being reviewed at a publisher now..... if the publisher doesn't publish, I'll do it myself. The book is good (IMO), and is a collection of stories about my father, myself, and my son. Starts with my son's first ride on my motorcycle at age 5, and finishes 30 stories later with him learning to ride a dirtbike at the Honda rider training site in Troy, Ohio.

It ends up being somewhat like "Zen and the Art...", but without all the philosophical meanderings. More about being a child, getting up on two wheels, and living. And dying... the stories are pretty diverse.

Anyway, am crossing my fingers... several co-workers that ride (and some that don't) tell me they want an autographed copy, so we'll see what happens.

Attachments

• conc-teepee.jpg
    conc-teepee.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 395
My older brother rides a 2001 Concors. Seems like an awful lot of bike for the money. I urged him to buy it because it impressed me.
How do you like yours, Doug?

Goes with that little black dress

Original everything. Bought new in '95, ridden less than 800 miles, sold to pay for a H2? Who cares, it's mine now.

Attachments

• greginboulder.jpg
    greginboulder.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 489
Cliffy,

The Conc is OK. It's not love, at least not for me, but many people are absolutely in love with them.

Mine is a Y2k model, and is closing in on 84,000 miles now. It's reliable, but I've had many parts wear out.

On balance, it was almost completely trouble-free up to 50k miles. After that, some larger parts began to wear out.

The flaws are well-known on the COG website, and can be anticipated. Wheel bearings don't go a long time, about 30k on the front and 50k on the back. Petcocks fail, and sometimes the cams pit. When they do, sometimes they're replaced but many times not. The pits get to a certain point, and just stop. At least they did in my case.

Nothing on the bike is state-of-the-art. But for most people, that's fine.

Hard to get used to the step backward after you've had a twin with Tele-Lever and a BIG alternator, though.

2004r100s

bought from dealer with 1500 miles in sept .made mods since

Attachments

• p1010010jpgrightside.jpg
    p1010010jpgrightside.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 423
easy mod for turn signals

easy modification to relocate signals.used existing underseat bolts,a hacksaw and drill.took 1 hour

Attachments

• p1010009jpgtail.jpg
    p1010009jpgtail.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 421
Re: easy mod for turn signals

airbiz said:
easy modification to relocate signals.used existing underseat bolts,a hacksaw and drill.took 1 hour

That looks totally cool. :clap

Just took delivery on a 94 R1100RS, Pearl Silver. Only have put about 50 miles on it so far - holiday stuff and bad weather, etc. Did take it up the Blue Ridge Parkway for a few miles earlier this week. Gonna really enjoy this bike.

Attachments

• 1st snow.jpg
    1st snow.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 391
Gone GT

Some seventy pages back in this thread, I "showed" mine. The K1200GT. After 2000 miles of trying to break me in, she went to a new home.

Here's a symptom of my reversion back to the world of RS twins.
'04 R1150RS. Starting all over agakin after outfitting the '94 RSL with all the crap we need to buy. And then getting the "Dark Side Itch". It was an itch well scratched and I loved the power train, etc.

On with the show. Anybody have some lowers for sale? Ohlins? (Sorry K-Man. The guy who bought the R1100 loves 'em).

Attachments

• dsc00001.jpg
    dsc00001.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 363
Magwa,

Congrats on coming back to the twin world. Sweet bike. What's with the black engine and telelever? Just about every image I've seen shows a silver engine.

bike_r1150rs.gif

Black

I think most of the press shots are single plugged '03's. I don't know for sure, butt I think all the '04's are "blacked out.

Fish, you know I need that slimming black.

My rides

My commuters are a 2001 R1100RL w/ 33K miles

Attachments

• old_bike.jpg
    old_bike.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 316
My ride cont'd

And an '04 R1150R w/3100 miles at 4 weeks old.

Attachments

• new_bike.jpg
    new_bike.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 314
I'm new here...just bought this 2004 Rockster less than a week ago to share the garage with my 20 year old Kawasaki KLR600. I can't stop going out to look at it... :)

Attachments

• r1150r.jpg
    r1150r.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 452
Bags are packed

Bags are packed. I've been a member for a while and my last post was, well, NEVER. I was too busy mouthing off over on the R1150R site. Just finally got some cases...what a joy. That, plus the back rest for Wifey spells "Loooong trip"! Love the bike and the community around it. Later.

Attachments

• p0003053smll.jpg
    p0003053smll.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Back