• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Show us your bike

Re: Re: Re: Re: My 1986 K75(S)

knary said:
In a few shots it looked more yellow and thought it might be more like the BMW dakar yellow.

here's a not so great shot of my old yellow (Dakar 2) K...
03_bike_coast.jpg

Maybe it's a little closer to Canary yellow? :D

It's a hard color to photograph accurately, and it changes according to the ambient lighting.

I thought you had a picture of my bike for a second there. That is a Dakar color?

BTW I have a set of 3 spoke wheels waiting at home for my bike, as well as parts for a rear disk brake conversion. I think the 3 spoke wheels are too cool. I also have a set of barbacks and a +3 wide and +4 high smoke tinted shield on it now. Still noisy at 90 though.

I really love the K bikes, and constantly lust after a K12RS or GT.

Jim

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My 1986 K75(S)

JimVonBaden said:
Maybe it's a little closer to Canary yellow? :D

That's where "knary" came from. My last name is occasionally mispronounced "canary", and I had a yellow k-bike. It all fit. Aint I clever? (though I think ol' Jim Brosman coined it)
I thought you had a picture of my bike for a second there. That is a Dakar color?
It's the other Dakar that BMW uses on the M-cars. It's a little richer than the one they've used on their bikes.
BTW I have a set of 3 spoke wheels waiting at home for my bike, as well as parts for a rear disk brake conversion. I think the 3 spoke wheels are too cool. I also have a set of barbacks and a +3 wide and +4 high smoke tinted shield on it now. Still noisy at 90 though.

Just be careful with those rims and run the pressure a bit high! I bent the front twice and the rear once. They're a bit...ahem...soft.

Noisy? yeah, they're noisy. I ran an Aeroflow for a while, but after my third one cracked (who knew they're not designed for 100+?), I settled on the stock screen. At your height, the Aeroflow should be pretty good - or so I'd guess. You do wear earplugs, right?
I really love the K bikes, and constantly lust after a K12RS or GT.

Jim
They're very stable. {BSEG}

That K75s I had was a great bike. The biggest problems I had with her could all be traced back to the idiot owner (me).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My 1986 K75(S)

knary said:
Just be careful with those rims and run the pressure a bit high! I bent the front twice and the rear once. They're a bit...ahem...soft.

Noisy? yeah, they're noisy. I ran an Aeroflow for a while, but after my third one cracked (who knew they're not designed for 100+?), I settled on the stock screen. At your height, the Aeroflow should be pretty good - or so I'd guess. You do wear earplugs, right?

They're very stable. {BSEG}

That K75s I had was a great bike. The biggest problems I had with her could all be traced back to the idiot owner (me).

I really enjoy my K bike, my second, and I do ride it fairly quickly. I have heard that the wheels tend to bend fairly easily. Did you straighten yours, or replace them?

I always wear earplugs, but the rumble can still get tiring. I have a Gustaffson windscreen on my bike at the moment, but am considering the original with a Laminar Lip instead.

I am sure you took excellent care of your bike and never abused it!:boldpurpl

Jim

BTW what did you replace your (S) with?

Attachments

• ks windscreen.jpg
    ks windscreen.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 131
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My 1986 K75(S)

JimVonBaden said:
I really enjoy my K bike, my second, and I do ride it fairly quickly. I have heard that the wheels tend to bend fairly easily. Did you straighten yours, or replace them?
The first front rim was straightened by the Frame Man (Sacramento, CA) for about $75. A couple years later, I hit the mother of all pot-holes that covered the full lane in a construction zone. Both rims were bent and replaced with the insurance payment from the construction company (the sidewalk was littered with wheel covers and other assorted bits ejected from cars that had struck the same gaping hole). The rear could have been straightened, but the front was toast.
I always wear earplugs, but the rumble can still get tiring. I have a Gustaffson windscreen on my bike at the moment, but am considering the original with a Laminar Lip instead.
That's supposed to be the thing for that bike.
I am sure you took excellent care of your bike and never abused it!:boldpurpl

If only... -sigh-
BTW what did you replace your (S) with?

the flying pig...
IMG_1770.jpg

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My 1986 K75(S)

knary said:
The first front rim was straightened by the Frame Man (Sacramento, CA) for about $75. A couple years later, I hit the mother of all pot-holes that covered the full lane in a construction zone. Both rims were bent and replaced with the insurance payment from the construction company (the sidewalk was littered with wheel covers and other assorted bits ejected from cars that had struck the same gaping hole). The rear could have been straightened, but the front was toast.

That's supposed to be the thing for that bike.

If only... -sigh-

the flying pig...
IMG_1770.jpg

That's a bummer on the wheels. I hope mine hold up a little better, especially considering my 275 pounds! :-(

Nice replacement bike! Quite a difference from the K75S!

I was following one very similar to it down a twisty road in VA and was amazed at how fast he could ride it with the duel sport tires on it. I actually had trouble keeping up with him on the curves!

Jim

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My 1986 K75(S)

JimVonBaden said:
That's a bummer on the wheels. I hope mine hold up a little better, especially considering my 275 pounds! :-(

I doubt you'll replicate my mother of all pot-hole incident. And the other? well...the occasional $75.00 is the price we pay for vanity. :)
Nice replacement bike! Quite a difference from the K75S!
Yes, it is! And it has taken me a good long time to get used to it. In the end, while I really liked that K, this bike suits me much better.
I was following one very similar to it down a twisty road in VA and was amazed at how fast he could ride it with the duel sport tires on it. I actually had trouble keeping up with him on the curves!

Jim

That's because, with equal riders, it's the faster bike. :evil
I'm amazed at how effortlessly it carves corners. I'm almost sad. Corners that used to be thrilling on the K are easily dispatched with little fuss on the GS - and at higher speeds. Cornering clearance is greater, power is greater, leverage is greater, etc.

And as much fun as all that is, I'm most pleased with the bike's versatility.

salmon.jpg

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My 1986 K75(S)

knary said:
And as much fun as all that is, I'm most pleased with the bike's versatility.

Now if BMW would make one that someone under 6' could ride! My 28" inseam is just too short! :cry

Jim

My wife's inseam is similar and she can flat foot a F650GSL.

Also changing seats helps lower the height, on my RT it took me from tiptoes on the lowest position on the stock seat to flat footing on the middle position with a Sargent seat. They also have a low seat.

BradfordBenn said:
My wife's inseam is similar and she can flat foot a F650GSL.

Also changing seats helps lower the height, on my RT it took me from tiptoes on the lowest position on the stock seat to flat footing on the middle position with a Sargent seat. They also have a low seat.

Good information Benn, but I am a little heavy for a 650 thumper, and I really like a shaft drive.

Maybe I missed something, but do I have a prayer of fitting on an R1150GS?

Jim

Sure you do.

There are lowering kits available. The key is to feel safe. Go sit on one, what is the worst that can happen.. assuming it is not moving and not stolen and ....:p

BradfordBenn said:
Sure you do.

There are lowering kits available. The key is to feel safe. Go sit on one, what is the worst that can happen.. assuming it is not moving and not stolen and ....:p

I'll do that this weekend. How would a lowering kit affect the off road ability and ground clearance both on and off road?

Jim

PS, For a short fat boy the worst that could happen would be to fall over on a new bike in the showroom in front of multiple witnesses!~ :doh

Jeff said:
The touring club of Green Bay's prez. Randy Boris ready to go!

Caught in a moment of weakness. The GS had been calling to me for a couple weeks, so the K-bike and Honda had to leave to make room in the garage.

Now for the real challenge - what to name the new bike. Ideas?

MarkF said:
So....

Did you photoshop the centerstand or do you have the new and improved AGS Anti Gravity System integrated brakes?

Photoshop :)

Original looks like this:

2965188-M.jpg

ian

Or maybe

the lovely, talented and strong Noreen is standing one legged behind the bike keeping it level.......

Back