• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ANARCHY Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/10/07

R

RandallIsland

Our photo assignments keep rolling along. People are having fun; we're seeing some great photography!

Because anarchy is a bummer, we humbly offer these simple rules:

• Photos must be shot this weekend: Fri, Sat, or Sun.
  • You must provide the EXIF information if asked (we'll help you, if you'd like to know how to get it).
  • No photoshop alteration (we're looking to improve your skills with your camera, not software).
  • Your photograph must adhere to the theme, which will be described below.
  • Post only one photo per post, so that commentary can be easily provided for that photo.
  • Post your photos in this thread only. Do not start a thread in reply to this assignment. Please post your photos no later than next Wednesday.
  • And, the most important rule: have fun! We're looking to spread the joy that many of us derive from taking pictures, particularly ones that tell a story of some kind.

It's Friday already, and I for one .. am champin' at the bit. So if you want to join me in expressing your glee of anticipation to this week's theme, please do so. And when that theme is posted, if you wish to post some excess pictures that you just couldn't seem to rein in from your trigger happy fingertips, why don't you post them here so we all can see your myriad of variances on this week's exciting new soon to be announced theme!!! :clap :lurk :D

Excellent. . . .

simpsonsburns4qd.jpg

Harmony: definition from the OED

1. Combination or adaptation of parts, elements, or related things, so as to form a consistent and orderly whole; agreement, accord, congruity.
pre-established harmony, in the philosophy of Leibnitz, a harmony between mind and matter, e.g. between the body and soul, established before their creation, whereby their actions correspond though no communication exists between them.
c1532 G. DU WES Introd. Fr. in Palsgr. 1058 Others have sayd that it [the operation of God] is a maner of armonie. 1597 HOOKER Eccl. Pol. V. xxxviii. ?º1 The soule it selfe by nature is, or hath in it, harmonie. 1605 BACON Adv. Learn. I. iv. ?º6 (1873) 32 The harmony of a science, supporting each part the other, is..the true and brief confutation..of all the smaller sort of objections. 1745 De Foe's Eng. Tradesman ii. (1841) I. 18 Here is a harmony of business, and everything exact. 1814 SOUTHEY Roderick XXI. 382 To heavenliest harmony Reduce the seeming chaos. 1847 LEWES Hist. Philos. (1867) II. 273 His [Leibnitz's] favourite hypothesis of a Pre-established Harmony (borrowed from Spinoza). 1860 TYNDALL Glac. II. xxiv. 353 Where other forces mingle with that of crystallization, this harmony of action is destroyed.

b. Phr. in harmony: in agreement or accordance, consistent, congruous. So out of harmony.
1816 KEATINGE Trav. (1817) I. 42 He may always be sure of finding nature in harmony with herself. 1849 MACAULAY Hist. Eng. II. 149 This mode of attack..was in perfect harmony with every part of his infamous life. 1853 MAURICE Proph. & Kings i. 11 The vox populi was the vox Dei even when the two voices seemed most utterly out of harmony.

2. Agreement of feeling or sentiment; peaceableness, concord. (Sometimes as fig. from 4.)
1588 GREENE Pandosto (1843) 25 Coveting no other companion but sorrowe, nor no other harmonie but repentance. 1667 MILTON P.L. VIII. 605 Harmonie to behold in wedded pair More grateful then harmonious sound to the eare. 1780 COWPER Progr. Err. 140 Love, joy, and peace make harmony more meet. 1844 H. H. WILSON Brit. India III. 408 The harmony which had thus been re-established with the Court of Baroda.

b. Harmony Society: see HARMONIST 4.
1874 J. H. BLUNT Dict. Sects, Harmony Society, a community formed in 1805 by..George Rapp, on the principle of having all things common.

3. Combination of parts or details in accord with each other, so as to produce an ?ªsthetically pleasing effect; agreeable aspect arising from apt arrangement of parts.
1650 BULWER Anthropomet. 86 To make up the perfect harmony of a Face. 1780 HARRIS Philol. Enq. Wks. (1841) 419 How pleasing the harmony between hills and woods, between rivers and lawns? 1879 Cassell's Techn. Educ. III. 192 Harmony results from an agreeable contrast.

4. The combination of musical notes, either simultaneous or successive, so as to produce a pleasing effect; melody; music, tuneful sound. (The earliest sense in English; in mod. use more or less associated with sense 5.)
harmony of the spheres: see SPHERE.
c1384 CHAUCER H. Fame III. 306 Songes ful of Armonye. 1413 Pilgr. Sowle (Caxton 1483) V. viii. 99 The trees folowed him [Orpheus] and the stremes stoden to heren his armony. 1531 ELYOT Gov. I. xx, Dauid..playinge swetelye on a harpe, with his pleasant and perfect harmonie reduced his [Saul's] minde in to his pristinate estate. 1610 SHAKES. Temp. III. iii. 18 What harmony is this? my good friends, harke. 1667 MILTON P.L. VII. 560 Ten thousand Harpes that tun'd Angelic harmonies. 1756-7 tr. Keysler's Trav. (1760) III. 276 Inraptured with the harmony of a choir of angels. 1828 WORDSW. Power of Sound xiv, Harmony, blest queen of smiles and tears, With her smooth tones and discords just.

b. gen. Pleasing combination or arrangement of sounds, as in poetry or in speaking; sweet or melodious sound.
a1529 SKELTON Replyc. 337 For all his armony In metricall muses. 1632 J. HAYWARD tr. Biondi's Eromena 14 Somewhat solaced in hearing the sweete harmony of her name. 1780 COWPER Table T. 701 Harmony, strength, words exquisitely sought. 1864 TENNYSON Milton O mighty-mouthed inventor of harmonies. 1876 tr. Blaserna's Sound iii. 46 The poets speak often, and not without reason, of the harmony of the waves.

5. Mus. The combination of (simultaneous) notes so as to form chords; that part of musical art or science which deals with the formation and relations of chords; the structure of a piece of music in relation to the chords of which it consists.
Distinguished from melody, which is the succession of notes forming an air or tune; and, in strict modern use, from counterpoint, which is the combination of melodies; but also used of any music in parts, and sometimes in early use synonymous with counterpoint.
1526 Pilgr. Perf. (W. de W. 1531) 291 They excede or passe all ioyes as moche as armony passeth melody. 1616 BULLOKAR Eng. Expos., Harmonie, delightfull musicke of many notes. 1727-51 CHAMBERS Cycl. s.v. Harmonical, The art of harmony has long been known under the name of counterpoint. 1782 BURNEY Hist. Mus. II. 451 Figurative harmony, consisting of three or four different melodies moving together in consonance. 1867 MACFARREN Harmony i. 19 Singing in harmony of three parts. 1875 OUSELEY Mus. Form i. 2 A knowledge of Harmony and Counterpoint. 1879 MACFARREN Counterp. i. (1881) 2 Harmony is the simultaneous sounding of several notes, and includes concords and discords.

6. A collation of passages on the same subject from different writings, arranged so as to exhibit their agreement and account for their discrepancies; now chiefly used of a work showing the correspondences between the four Gospels and the chronological succession of the events recorded in them.
1588 Marprel. Epist. (Arb.) 8 The Harmonie of the Confessions of all those Churches..Which Harmonie was translated and printed by..Thomas Thomas. 1607 A. WILLET (title) An Harmonie vpon the First Booke of Samvel..diuers readings compared, [etc.]. 1727-51 CHAMBERS Cycl., Evangelical harmony, a title of diverse books, composed to show the uniformity and agreement of the accounts given by the four Evangelists. 1732 HARLEY (title) An Essay for composing a Harmony between the Psalms and other parts of Scripture. 1756 J. MACKNIGHT (title) Harmony of the four Gospels. 1896 W. F. ADENEY How to read the Bible 108 A ‘harmony’ of the Gospels is an attempt to arrange the several contributions of the four evangelists, so that they shall all fall into their right places in a common story.

7. Anat. = HARMONIA.
1615 CROOKE Body of Man 443 It..is distinguished from the wedge bone by the bastard seame called a Harmony, which is accounted for the ninth Suture. 1668 CULPEPPER & COLE Barthol. Anat. Man. IV. v. 340 There are..in the Skul, also many harmonies, where the bones are joyned together. 1841-71 T. R. JONES Anim. Kingd. (ed. 4) 312 A species of ‘harmony’, as it is technically termed by anatomists{em}two plates of the skeleton being accurately and immoveably fitted to each other, but without being decidedly fastened together by serrated edges.

6. A collation of passages on the same subject from different writings, arranged so as to exhibit their agreement and account for their discrepancies; now chiefly used of a work showing the correspondences between the four Gospels and the chronological succession of the events recorded in them.
1588 Marprel. Epist. (Arb.) 8 The Harmonie of the Confessions of all those Churches..Which Harmonie was translated and printed by..Thomas Thomas. 1607 A. WILLET (title) An Harmonie vpon the First Booke of Samvel..diuers readings compared, [etc.]. 1727-51 CHAMBERS Cycl., Evangelical harmony, a title of diverse books, composed to show the uniformity and agreement of the accounts given by the four Evangelists. 1732 HARLEY (title) An Essay for composing a Harmony between the Psalms and other parts of Scripture. 1756 J. MACKNIGHT (title) Harmony of the four Gospels. 1896 W. F. ADENEY How to read the Bible 108 A ÔÇÿharmonyÔÇÖ of the Gospels is an attempt to arrange the several contributions of the four evangelists, so that they shall all fall into their right places in a common story.

7. Anat. = HARMONIA.
1615 CROOKE Body of Man 443 It..is distinguished from the wedge bone by the bastard seame called a Harmony, which is accounted for the ninth Suture. 1668 CULPEPPER & COLE Barthol. Anat. Man. IV. v. 340 There are..in the Skul, also many harmonies, where the bones are joyned together. 1841-71 T. R. JONES Anim. Kingd. (ed. 4) 312 A species of ÔÇÿharmonyÔÇÖ, as it is technically termed by anatomists{em}two plates of the skeleton being accurately and immoveably fitted to each other, but without being decidedly fastened together by serrated edges.

Oh goody, I can take a picture of some of my poems

or

maybe an X-ray of my skull......

so many posibilities, soo little time (and no X-ray machine handy either, darn!)

in fact I've already tried a few truly dismal failures,,,,, whana see them??:laugh

RM

Can I post this old picture of Tina and I on our RS? I think this was taken circa 1990 at the very first Damn Yankees Rally.

219451798-XL.jpg

Can I post this old picture of Tina and I on our RS? I think this was taken circa 1990 at the very first Damn Yankees Rally.

219451798-XL.jpg

That is a real nice picture, man. Love the expressions on both your faces.

That is a real nice picture, man. Love the expressions on both your faces.

We'd been playing a field event where you ride in circles outside a circle and throw empty cans into a trash can in the center. It was pretty fun.

Man, that was a great rally. One bathroom, one shower, 30 or so people and a big pile of firewood. I think I stayed up until about 2am with Mike Andrews, just talking about everything.

219451798-XL.jpg

I'll see you one and raise you one....

From my dim past, my first BMW a 73 R50 bored to a 600 with my then girl freind, who was one of the first ladies in the area to ride her own machine... cira 1976

tank.JPG

RM

Wouldn't it be fun if we could post pictures anonymously, only to have the "players" revealed after the weekend was over?

That'd be fun!

Knary to the film room

More importantly, is it technologically possible, with ease for the webmaster?

Shot this today at the Mission San Miguel. I doesn't qualify for the Photo Assignment, but I liked it so much I could stand the thought of it languishing on my SmugMug account. I have the same shot with my RT, but I like this version much better.

Back