• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200R Windshield

T

thtduck

I purchased my 2007 R1200R with the BMW touring windshield last July. After 6000+ miles the noise from the windshield forces me to wear earplugs on long distance trips (more than commuting) so I took it off. Big improvement w/ no windshield but then southern bugs are a problem. My dealer just loaned me a test drive Cee Bailey's 20" and it seems to be a little better. Has anyone seen or heard of a better windshield? I like this bike because it's naked so adding a 20" windshield will be a sacrifice. :hide
1911403272_dd1eaed12c_m.jpg

20" Test Drive Windshield

1349033498_294f4dbd05_m.jpg

BMW Touring Windshield

It depends..

This is one of the "it depends" sort of answers..

What it depends on:

• What are you trying to accomplish?
  • What are your current problems?
  • What is your height and inseam?

OK - the reasons for asking the "it depends"..

What are you trying to accomplish? Different people have different requirements for a shield. Some people like me - the requirements change depending on the season and riding conditions. In the summer, I like a lot of air around my helmet, so a short shield works well for me. In the winter, I like less air and more protection, so a taller shield works well for me.

What are your current problems? Some people find buffeting really impossible to deal with - other people will put up with it if they like the air they're getting. Looks are another "problem" - some people find big=ugly, some people - it really doesn't matter (function over form.)

Height and inseam? These will give us a clue how high above the seat your head is (and we also have to know if you have the low/regular/high seat on your Roadster..) What works well for someone like me (5'7" and on a good day 27-28" inseam) might not work well for someone with a different head height above the seat - or with a different height seat.

With some filling in of the above "it depends" - we may be able to give some reasonable advice.

At the moment - I'm down to 3 windshields (I've tried 5..) for my R1200R - all three heights of the Cee-Bailey shields: Lowest 16" for summer use; 18" for spring/fall; 20" for winter. All of them have trade-offs - the 16" is noisy and causes some buffeting, the 18" is quieter and less buffeting - but also less air, the 20" is quietest of all and gives the best protection - but isn't great on hot days. That's based on my height above the seat (and I have a low seat..) - YMMV and almost certainly will.

One comment on something you said - about wearing earplugs.. I would strongly suggest that you always wear them when riding. Hearing loss due to wind noise is a real thing - and the effect is cumulative - meaning - the more exposure you have - the worse the effect on your hearing is. Even the quietest bike with the quietest helmet can reach ear damaging noise levels inside a helmet. BTDT - and I'm trying not to loose any more hearing. If you're not comfortable with the earplugs you're using now - try others. There are LOTS of different types out there, including custom made to fit ones (which lots of people REALLY like.. I like mine..) Not to be a nag - but http://www.hear.com/nih-noise.shtml#sounds has lots of info on how the loss happens..

Best,

5' 10" and 30" Inseam

Thanks for the reply! Your questions and comments have made me realize I probably need more than one windshield and wear my ear plugs. A little lazy about putting them in and that boxer engine is music to my ears, just canÔÇÖt hear my motor as well.

I'm just trying to reduce noise created by the windshield; the amount of air hasn't bothered me. Earplugs solve the noise issue very well. Rode on the interstate after lunch today with the 20ÔÇØ and it was a little quieter and naturally takes more air off the body. There is not enough noise reduction to justify buying the bigger shield but less air in the winter will be nice. There is actually more buffeting compared to the BMW touring shield.

If I like what it does then I really donÔÇÖt care how it looks when it comes down to it. A 20ÔÇØ shield isnÔÇÖt ideal for the style of the bike IMO but who cares if it works.

My bike has the stock seat so that would be the regular I guess.

May just go ahead and buy a 20" shield.

I've been going through this same dissonance myself. I have the R1200R sport windshield. I am thinking about trying the Z-Tech windshield, which appears to be about the same height as the windscreen on the R1200GS.

If you switch windshields with the seasons, I read on here that the Z-Tech is a PITA to install and remove.

Fred
'07 R1200R

Ordered 20" windscreen

If you switch windshields with the seasons, I read on here that the Z-Tech is a PITA to install and remove.

Fred
'07 R1200R

I don't know about the Z-Tech but windshields mount to the BMW touring bracket w/ just four torx screws. I switched them out in a couple of minutes testing these different size windshields.

Last edited:
Duh

I did a search before starting this thread on R1200R windshields. Either misspelled my search term or didn't look carefully. Just saw the same thread started by swall last July. My bad.:doh

I don't know about the Z-Tech but windshields mount to the BMW touring bracket w/ just four torx screws. I switched them out in a couple of minutes testing these different size windshields.
Indeed - it takes me longer to clean the windshield coming off than it does to swap them. (The one coming off frequently is rather bug coated.. mebbe that won't be a problem in the winter..) The BMW bracket makes it really easy..

My '07 R1200R came with a sport windhield.
It looked great. But, I hate the buffeting and wind noise that this little gizmo generated. I switched to Z-Tech, it also looked great and it was a little bit better. But, finally I bought Cee Bailey 20" it looks stock, and works the best for me. I still have some buffeting but i realize now, there is no way to get rid of this entirely. The ammount of air going between the shield and the fuel tank is more than I wish for. And I think this is the reason that protection on the current Roadster will never be as good as it is on RT. So, right now I have sport BMW shield and Z-Tech for sale, if anyone is interested.

Gregory Turek
(425) 353-2875

Hannigan ?

Does the full fairing detract from your "naked bike" aesthetic? It seems like an excellent touring option.

R1200SSr_FL_SlipperRProfileNoBagsNoTextemail.jpg

I really like the retro look.

R1200 R WindSheid

Since you asked, I think this Hannigan Ferring is ugly as sin.

I realize that everyone has different taste but this thing is too much.

It shows also how some after market accessories can destroy pristine design.

No hard feelings, it's just my humble opinon.

Gregory Turek

Acknowledged

I respect your opinion, simply don't share it. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm saving my pennies for the parabellum scout. Interchangeable screens, so it adapts to summer and winter/touring. I like the weight - 5lb. I like the style, retro in the manner of the R90S/R100S. Here is a picture of the scout on an R1150R.

Attachments

• scoutr1150r1.jpg
    scoutr1150r1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 384
Since you asked, I think this Hannigan Ferring is ugly as sin.

I realize that everyone has different taste but this thing is too much.

It shows also how some after market accessories can destroy pristine design.

No hard feelings, it's just my humble opinon.

Gregory Turek
+1

Having seen it in person - it's even worse. The visual mass of the fairing overwhelms the rest of the bike.. makes it look out of proportion and very front heavy. It also looks 20-30 years old - which is when I was designed I believe..

The appeal of the Roadster for me is it looks modern, yet classic. Great lines best left alone if possible (although I'll admit to having sinned there and am using a great big 20" Cee-Bailey for winter use..)

I'm saving my pennies for the parabellum scout. Interchangeable screens, so it adapts to summer and winter/touring. I like the weight - 5lb. I like the style, retro in the manner of the R90S/R100S. Here is a picture of the scout on an R1150R.
A local chap - Harry Costello - put one on his R1200R - and it's about as innocuous as you can get if you want that sort of thing. It's not offensive. It's not to my taste - but it isn't awful by any means. Let me see if I can dig up a link to a photo of Harry's..

Here we go - from an R1200R specific forum:
http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=11133

Z-Tech R1200R Windshield

Swall, like I mentioned before, I do have a Z-Tech screen. It looks great on the bike and gives you decent protection. To install it, however, requires a little bit of patience and steady-hands (it's easy to scratch the instrument cluster). The stock touring windshield bracket with Cee Bailey windshield works way better and looks totally stock, and that's what I have on my bike right now. Remember, regardless of wich windshield you put on it will never give you the protection of a RT. Have safe riding and good luck with your windshield choice.

-Gregory Turek

Today's ride..

Started out at 36F - hit a peak of 50F - then started dropping - was mid 40's when I got home. Did about 150 miles of mostly backroads and a 25 mile stretch of interstate at the beginning (and coldest time..)

The reason I mention this - I was pretty darn comfortable on the Roadster the entire time. I had on my Gerbing electric jacket liner under an Aerostitch Roadcrafter (which despite what it feels like in the summer - is NOT windproof..), gauntlet gloves (uninsulated).. and normal clothing under this.

The 20" Cee-Bailey looks like a winner for me in the winter. I thought I'd be annoyed by the height - but after about 2 miles it became a non-issue - didn't even notice it except how much less drafty and chilly it was behind it.

My legs did get a bit chilly at times - but cranking up the electric upper warmed me enough that they weren't an issue.. and I found hugging the tank with my knees gets the upper legs out of the wind. I have GS handguards on the Roadster - and found I could rarely leave the grips on high for long..

Over 70MPH was a tiny bit chilly - but up to 60 was just fine - had to turn the heat down. I only needed full blast during the AM slab ride at around 75MPH.

Point being - the amount of protection you may actually need might not be as much as you think IF you optimize your clothing options.

Back