• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NYC Heads North!

B

BUBBAZANETTI

Saturday was a bust, well, it was kind of a bust. Tropical depression Noel promised to make NYC and points north windy and wet. Windy, yes. Wet, not really. Oh well, at least i got some grocery shopping done. A quick change of plans at the last minute confirmed everyone was a go for Sunday, and we picked up two more. The gang was in order. Mr. Tessler, our friend Orlando, everyone's favorite deadhead Snoone and that Hudson River dweller with the rapier wit, Randal Island.

Six AM dawned as it usually does for me, a bit roughly. [rewind]I had actually completely forgot about daylight savings and a "lucky" bout of insomnia and a quick scan of ADV helped set me straight. I bumped the clock back to 1 AM, and went to bed. [/rewind]
A little packing, a quick check to make sure my escape route to the upper west side was not impeded by any last minute NYC Marathon changes (the route traverses the 5 boroughs, including the street in front of my apartment and all the bridges i normally take to anything above 50th St in Manhattan). Route clear, bike checked and gassed, i headed over to W 96th to meet Tessler and Orlando.

Departure from the Exxon station went smoothly and we made our way out of the city, up the Henry Hudson Parkway to the Saw Mill to the Taconic (these are just a bunch of narrow highways for cars and motorcycles only that get you about 40 miles out of the city). After a nice ride through Ridgefield CT, we stopped for breakfast and met up with Snoone.

217319315-M.jpg

and one with your ugly narrator

217319480-M.jpg

after a great little breakfast (sorry, no food pics from this rider, i'm a bit "bored" of them) we headed north to meet with Randall. I really didn't get many scenery shots, cause well, you've all seen trees and mountains and rivers and things before. We arrived in the little hamlet of Kent CT, more up near the MA border. Here we found Randall sitting amongst a bunch of other bikers, they took off and he was the only one left:laugh

here's us parking in preparation for meeting up with Mr. Island. I parked backward, woops.

217319837-M.jpg

after a quick gas-up (my "sport" bike doesn't hold much gas) we headed north a few miles to a local waterfall.

we had some R bikes:

217320189-M.jpg

and some K bikes:

217320017-M.jpg

and a waterfall:

217320533-M.jpg

here's our little group. jon is explaining color saturation in digital cameras (yawn:bolt ) to (L-R) Randall, Orlando, Mitch (Snoone) and on the end is Mr. Tessler

217320875-M.jpg

pfft, waterfalls..........

217320697-M.jpg

after this, Mitch took the lead and we headed up into Massachusetts for a brief stint before veering west back into New York. we stopped for a quick fuel and snack break. oh, btw, to the cute, attractively dressed girl on the sweet CB 400 at the gas station north of copake ny: if you happen to frequent BMW forums for no good reason, please get back to me.

anyway, i managed this group shot as we cruised south in ny. from the front is Jonathan, Snoone, Orlando and "old one sidebag Randall"

217321232-M.jpg

one more stop, for some espresso based drinks (and a coffee). there was a W8 powered Passat between our bikes, not a common car.

also, here is a nice study in contrast. Randall's 85' K100 and my 99' R1100S. Randall has had his bike for a long time, spent many years outside in Idaho and NYC, it is a nice weathered well loved bike, some would call it a "rat", maybe, but i think it's awesome, and it's the only good sounding K i've ever heard! my bike on the other hand spent its life in heated garage splendor till 2005. in my hands, it has seen a mixture of garage, parking lot and now street parking. it is starting to wear, fasteners getting a little rusted, the luster and shine is somewhat gone. i'd love if i held on to it for as long as Randall has his, that it would look just the same. i kind of can't stand shiny old bikes all the time:laugh

217321371-M.jpg

we parted ways here, Randall for home, Mitch, with us for a bit, then off west, Orlando, Jon and I back to the city. due to the marathon, i had to take a bit of a roundabout route to Brooklyn, through the bottom of Manhattan, but it twasn't too bad.

thanks for a great day buddy, i'll be back up to cover you up in a few, after you cool down

217321708-M.jpg

Last edited:
re: ride report

Bubbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,
Dude get some sleep!
Hey thanks for putting these up.
Great riding with you guys.
Can't wait till the next one.

North? North doesn't start until you get to Glens Falls.

NorthCountry.jpg

But, great pictures.

Last edited:
Derek

We have your World Series Ring here in Boston, did you stop in to pick it up ?
Glad to see ya come back home, smell the clean air.

Got some bad/sad news for ya - do you remember the other Derek from Waltham?
Well he's buy a house and the new wife say - get rid of that bike - so he is!!
I emailed him -got no response - I guess SHE got the email before he did. I asked him what hell is the new wife giving up that is = to his GS - it is up on Craig's list in Boston.

I'm - still looking for another bike after my accident in May- Still parting it out.
Keep in touch - I'll be down for NYC Moto show in Dec. maybe we can catch up on some brews or two or three or more.

Joe

We have your World Series Ring here in Boston, did you stop in to pick it up ?
Glad to see ya come back home, smell the clean air.

Got some bad/sad news for ya - do you remember the other Derek from Waltham?
Well he's buy a house and the new wife say - get rid of that bike - so he is!!
I emailed him -got no response - I guess SHE got the email before he did. I asked him what hell is the new wife giving up that is = to his GS - it is up on Craig's list in Boston.

I'm - still looking for another bike after my accident in May- Still parting it out.
Keep in touch - I'll be down for NYC Moto show in Dec. maybe we can catch up on some brews or two or three or more.

Joe

aw, that stinks. i saw him up in maine at the ADV cro mag campout in august, he'd just got back from the GS ride.

keep an eye on this thread:
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=21337

and come down that day, a bunch of us will be there for the show!

good luck with your bike hunt!!

Derek, isn't it risky to street park a bike in the City?

Rinty

i suppose so, but until my job situation becomes a bit more stable, i can't really justify the expense of garaging it. it may actually be heading up to a shed at my dad's place for the winter. i really don't see myself being much of a rounder this year, and keeping it out on the streets all winter is not an acceptable solution.

but it's been here 3 weeks now and not a thing has happened to it, i actually worry about it less here than i did when it was parked in front of my condo when i lived in amherst ma.

Derek, isn't it risky to street park a bike in the City?

Rinty
The biggest risk is that in high traffic/high density areas, it may be hit and/or damaged by cars, vans, suvs or trucks parking and exiting parking spots. Bikes may also be subject to vandalism, weather or pigeon decoration.

Theft-wise, H-Ds and Japanese sportbikes have a harder go of it on these streets.

More NY/CT/MA/NY

Derek and I met Orlando at the 96th Street Exxon at the entrance to the Henry Hudson then took the HH to the Saw Mill, to SR 35 at Katonah. 35 through Cross River and into Connecticut is a beautiful road. No one stopped to take scenery pictures as we were having too much fun riding. :) Of course, I took a few of the obligatory parking-lot snaps, as follows:

Comrade Zanetti prepares for energizing intake of morning comestibles. "Vas good how you say American "Brekfist", but not as good as smoked herring and vodka!"
217703443-M.jpg

Snoone's bike is the dead-head giveaway:
217703492-M.jpg

Orlando owns the cleanest 05GS in the history of BMW Motorrad:
217703403-M.jpg

Comrade Zanetti's bike has stealth netting for quickly fastening state secrets:
217703271-M.jpg

At Kent Falls, Orlando, Snoone and Randall decided to form a new Jazz Fusion band. This is the shot for the back of their first album:
217703350-M.jpg

North? North doesn't start until you get to Glens Falls.

But, great pictures.

Heh.
North starts as soon as you leave traffic, IMHO.

And yes, those are great pictures and if I'd not been half awake when I left I'd have contributed, but I'll be sure to bring a camera next time.

I like the band shot: dibbs on being drummer...lol

I'll say the company was excellent, the riding roads fine, the Hemi we all passed at 70+ staying put, pleasant, and the companionship dynamic one such that we will do it again...priceless. :thumb :thumb

Myrtle (me K), she was garaged a while, mostly, actually, but the past few years unfortunately not. The lot of a poor garageless student who rides every day you might say. As they say,... she cleans up real well... I'm just more about smoothly spinning motor than highly polished chrome, as a rule.

The parking is not on the street, it's my good fortune, but on my patio out back. I'm trying to justify a canopy or something for the winter, as a storage unit is not close enough to skip using the Merc.

The other saddle bag, top case, and body parts are all clean in the house. If I only need one bag ... only one bag gets ridden. But thanks Eric!

We'll do it again soon, that's for sure!

I think the next run could incorporate Amish country, Vermont Cheese, or a mixture of some real poker in a run to some seedy Jersey gambling, but who knows? :dunno

What a great report. Nice to see Bubba back in the saddle and the whole names/faces thing. I had no idea he was a Red.

Back