• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Trout Fishing in Ameri...Wyoming!

redclfco

Trout Fishing in the bighorns

I am putting together some rides into the big horns that will include a ride/fish trip if anyone is interested.

Red

11.07.2007. 8:20 pm...This thread has been offically skunked.... Apparently the majority (in fact 100%) of those who have read this thead have declined in so much as to say "yep"! I have been absolutely skunked and it's got me down:confused:

I am putting this comment inside this original post as to make sure it does not go to the top ever again! I'ts a dead thread, I have been skunked...good riddance!

For some reason, the thread does not give the option of "delete this thread" or I would hit delete faster than a rooster jumps on a hen! I dont know why this has happened other than nobody can quite connect fishing for brookie trout, riding the twistys and Gillette in the same thought at the same time; blows their mind, so they leave without comment:dunno

Last edited:
I am putting together some rides into the big horns that will include a ride/fish trip if anyone is interested.

red - with all the hollerin' and thread movin' to keep the peace, i did not notice your posts.

i would be *extremely* interested in knowing about these rides.

while i have fished a little while riding, and have a simple set of collapsible tackle, i also want to know the best riding alongside the rivers in the bighorns (US14 is one of my FAVORITE roads).

sorry to have missed your thread... maybe you can re-redefine it?

ian

r80gs_1.jpg

I missed the thread also.

I have fly fished near and in Saratoga on the Encampment river and floated the north platte plus the best couple of days of fishing i ever have had was in a section of the North Platte river called the Miracle Mile and Grey reef both in the Casper area. The river holds huge cutbow and rainbow trout, in fact I had a River Runs Through it experience where I had to decide whether to float down the river to catch up to a hooked fish.. The fish won that battle and I got wet anyway

Attachments

• P1010159.jpg
    P1010159.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
and it was beautiful to boot.. If I make it to Gillette, this is what I will be doing.. So I would certainly be interested in some fishing routes

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 338
Red,
Sorry not to reply. Knowing there is some decent fly fishing within easy reach of the rally location might tip the scales in favor of going, for my wife and me. Because I'm undecided I didn't initially respond to your thread. I think there's probably more interest than you might have thought. (Where's that fly fishing emoticom?)

Last edited:
I thought that maybe Richard Brautigan was a BMW rider!:doh

watermelon sugar rules!:whistle

Anyhow I am going to start putting together some ideas of some places near by..but the quesion is whats considered within an distance of a enjoyable half day? full day? 40 miles? 60 miles? 100 miles?

If we could put together a pretty neat little google map and plan a route or do several different rides and descriptions and not get so anal about organised rides thing, I wonder if ON would be interested in using up a 16th column to publish it before hand?

Serious fish outing would be before dawn trip somewhere and back before 2:00 with somthing to fry!

What say ye?

Last edited:
I think you're on the right track. Distance will depend upon how far you really have to travel to find some quality fishing. I'd hate to have an antelope encounter on the way to the stream, but getting up early has never been a problem for me! If there's a small group heading out, it would be neat to find a river or rivers where we could easily spread out. Guess I need to dig out my 30 year old book on fishing Wyoming.

Distance to fish in the Casper Area is about 2.5 hrs. Plenty of time for a day trip to bring them to their knees.

Hmmmmm, I guide flyfishing in the Florida Keys for a living, maybe my next summer vacation I have to try fishing in Montana as I heard it is really nice there. The bonus for me would be the DS ride to get to the more remote areas....:heart

The Miracle Mile:
The first major tailwater on the North Platte River, the Miracle Mile, needs no introduction - truly a magnificent fishery that offers the angler great opportunity for very large trophy trout. This section of river is fishable throughout the year with certain months offering more opportunity than others. Although The Mile is floatable, it is much more effective to wade-fish, allowing anglers to cover more water. Although nymphs and indicators are the norm, there is often great dry fly fishing that many fishermen do not take advantage of.

Grey Reef:
There has been a lot of hype about this section of the river the past few years. This attention is well deserved. The second major tail water on the North Platte River, Grey Reef (near Casper, Wyoming) boasts impressive numbers of fish, many in the three to six pound range with the occasional eight-pound plus monster. Although predominantly a rainbow fishery, many beautiful browns and cutthroats are caught each season. Early season nymph fishing and late season dry fly fishing are the usual highlights. For information on Guided Grey Reef Trips, see our guiding partners, Crazy Rainbow Fly Fishing.

www.crazyrainbow.net. This is the place to meet in the AM to fish Grey Reef

Hmmmmm, I guide flyfishing in the Florida Keys for a living, maybe my next summer vacation I have to try fishing in Montana as I heard it is really nice there. The bonus for me would be the DS ride to get to the more remote areas....:heart

nah... the bonus for you is you could write off your trip to the rally because you're there doing "research..." :burnout

ian

Just started thinking about next year. Saw this thread, seems right up my alley.
If they who sign the paycheck approve the time off, count me in.

Wake a sleeping dog

Did someone say flyfishing? :ear
How far from the rally site is too far ? Perspective, riding from the East Coast - another 5 hours out and back is no big deal. An overnight ?

Fit a rally day into the fishing schedule ? :whistle

Motard

Count me in! I have my trusty Popiel's Pocket Fisherman. We should be able to find a large iron skillet for a fresh trout dinner and some tasty local brew. Man! that sounds so good right about now.

Merry Christmas
Pat Carol

skillet

We can always accommodate a larger trout into a smaller pan by cutting the fish in 4 to 6" sizes.

Let's have a trout party :laugh

Back