• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Springville

S

SNC1923

Took a day ride a couple of weeks ago through Springville and over the mountains down into Kernville. Here are a few photos I took.

216867225-L.jpg

Jerry, Danny, and Tim rest at Fountain Springs.

216867958-L.jpg

Kelly and Danny checking out Danny's PD.

216869070-L.jpg

Jerry navigates HWY 190.

216876207-L.jpg

Stopped outside Johnsonville for some fall colors.

216881197-L.jpg

Wish I could have one of each.

216886047-L.jpg

This is Lake Isabella. These trees were all underwater last year.

216886449-L.jpg

I love this motorcycle.

Here's a few shots of an unusually placid Kern River.

216887440-L.jpg

216888404-L.jpg

216889300-L.jpg

Rode through Hart Park on the way home, looking for photos for the "Group Dynamic" photo assignment.

216890497-L.jpg

216890996-L.jpg

216893478-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking. The few remaining photos are here.

That's just beautiful! What a great place to have as a day ride. I'm thinking I need to make my next summer vacation destination California thanks to your shots.

Love the bike too. Having a GSA means never having to say "I need gas".

Thanks for sharing your ride pics.

The owner can ride, there is no tire hair to be seen. :thumb Thanks, GSPDs are spiritual machines.

Oh, Danny's a rider, no bout adout that. An excellent mechanic, too. I can keep up with him, Myram, and Brad until we hit the really twisty stuff, then it's adios, muchacho.

That's just beautiful! What a great place to have as a day ride. I'm thinking I need to make my next summer vacation destination California thanks to your shots.

Love the bike too. Having a GSA means never having to say "I need gas".

Thanks for sharing your ride pics.

Randy,

Come to California! Bring your bike. We have great riding out here. Bakersfield would be a great central location to ride from. 2 hours to LA, 2 hours to the coast, 4 hours to San Diego, and 6 hours to San Francisco. Plus tons of great riding within 50 miles of town. Plus I'll bet you've never had Basque food.

Check it out.

Great stuff, Tom. There are few better ways to spend the day with friends.

Great shots of the crane, too. It's usually not easy to get that close. What lens were you using?

-Alex

(I thought you had an RT and a GSA...?)

Great stuff, Tom. There are few better ways to spend the day with friends.

Great shots of the crane, too. It's usually not easy to get that close. What lens were you using?

-Alex

(I thought you had an RT and a GSA...?)

Hey Alex,

Thanks (you, too, Cliffy). There are few things I enjoy more than riding with my buddies. I lucked into a great group, all of whom have become good friends.

I did have a beautiful, blue '04 RT, but I had to trade it in to get the GSA. I don't miss it, really, but my wife does. I'm hoping to pay off and keep the GSA. Then I just have to figure out how I'm going to get my wife to approve another bike. I've got a couple of years to work on that one.

The crane shots were all taken with my Canon 70-300 IS lens. The first photo has been cropped at least 50%. Because I'm using a crop sensor camera (factor of 1.6) this lens actually has a reach of 480mm, but it's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I'm hoping to sell this lens and buy a 70 -200 f/2.8 IS to replace it. One step at a time, I guess.

Randy,

Come to California! Bring your bike. . . . . . . Plus I'll bet you've never had Basque food.

Check it out.

Hmmmmm. Basque food :dunno

Yesterday I rode to Jacksboro Texas for a famous Herd's hamburger. They've been using this same little grill for like 50 years. Starts with a big pile of fresh ground beef in the corner and when you order a burger, they pull off a piece with the spatula, and mash it down to form the pattie.

As you can see, I have a suffocated pallet so I guess I'm ready for this so called Basque food. As long as I can pore catchup on it, bring it on !!!

Attachments

• DSC01538.jpg
    DSC01538.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 45
Between the locals and all the hunters, plus the riders, it's a twenty minute wait to get one.

Attachments

• DSC01541.jpg
    DSC01541.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 45
WhatÔÇÖs that sound?

Oh, its just my arteries hardening :D

Dang, them hangaburgers look good. Ah, road food. . . .

Basque cuisine is pretty standard, fried shrimp, ox-tail soup, steak, pork chops, etc. What sets it apart is the "set up" you get before your meal:

• cabbage soup
  • green salad
  • tomato and onion salad
  • beans
  • salsa
  • pickled tongue
  • spaghetti
  • french fries
  • bread & butter

Frequently, my appetite is ruined before the main course arrives. It's served family style and seating only takes place on the hour. The bar's cheap, the waitresss heavy-set, and the food, wonderful.

There are Basque restaurants elsewhere in California, but for some reason, there is a much higher concentration in Bakersfield. And most of them are within walking distance of each other. One of the Southern California BMW Clubs comes here every year just for dinner at the Pyranees Cafe, though I prefer Woolgrower's.

Holy Cow !!

Cabbage soup, Green salad, Tomato and onion salad, Beans, and Salsa. :eat

Talk about hearing sound. :ear :ear

Back