• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2008 Gillette National - attending or not?

2008 Gillette National - Attending, not attending, not sure?

• Attending

Votes: 138 52.1%
  • Not Attending

Votes: 64 24.2%
  • Not sure yet.....

Votes: 63 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One thing we should get for you Hodag, is some USB chargers. More and more devices charge with a USB cable that is supposed to be attached to your PC. Hard to do on the road. I'm seeing some really inexpensive USB chargers that pull into an AC outlet. Perfect for the Charging Station.

Good idea. I think I'll buy a few for '08.

I have had the occasional requirement from a customer or two. Think I'll make sure I have one for next year.

Question: we will be travelling through Texas and Nevada about June 10. What sort of weather might we expect? Been there in July and August but not June. -Bob

For Dallas, June 10 averages:

Sunrise: 6:18 AM
Sunset: 8:35 PM
Ave High: 91??F
Ave Low: 72??F
Mean: 81??F
Record High: 104??F (1911)
Record Low: 58??F (1955)

Average rain fall for the month of June: 3.92"

For Las Vegas;

Sunrise: 5:23 AM
Sunset: 7:57 PM
Ave High: 97??F
Ave Low: 71??F
Mean: 84??F
Record High: 109??F (1921)
Record Low: 51??F (1954)

Average rain fall for the month of June: 0.08"

All pulled from weather.com, they provide averages for given cities.

:)

Not. I have a limited amount of time available for a solo vacation. I'm spending 2008's budget on the Spank Rally combined with the IBA National. I suppose one day I'll have had enough of LD rallies, and then I'll go to an MOA National.

Gillette Rally 2008

Several of us from the EMOs of Las Vegas will be making the treak to the Rally this year. In fact we plan to make a two week trip to meet up with an old friend and ride, Yellowstone, the black hills, hit the rally then loop through the colorado rockies with a stop at Panoia before heading home to Vegas. Accept for leaving Vegas the heat shouldn't be too bad. Early morning rides in and out of vegas are the norm for us during the summer months. Nice to have a rally relatively close to home (999miles) for the first time in many years. See you all in Wyoming.:dance

You bet your sweet bippy I'm going. I am going taking all of July and part of August off. I am going to rally for almost two months.
The best thing about Gillette is being there with all of you and drinking beer. I won't get much time during the rally because my responsability will be all of you.
Now the other thing about the Gillette rally will be the razor factory tour. All us guys will be clean shaven and the ladies will have silky smooth legs.
They get the steel for making the razors from HD's left over from the Sturgis rally from the prior year. There is a huge grinder at the beginning of the razor factory where all the left over HD's are dropped into. From there the metal is melted down and at the end out comes several different brands of Gillette razors.
I guess it is quite amazing. I heard about this from my friend' cousin' friend whose uncle has a sister whose cousin' step-father' grand father who has a sister that had a brother-in-law whose beer drinking buddy worked at the razor factory in Gillette. WOW! simply amazing.
I'll see you there.

PC:ha

I'll definately be there.

Now I just have to decide if I'm going to extend the trip the week before or the week after..

Decisions, Decisions

:scratch

One thing we should get for you Hodag, is some USB chargers. More and more devices charge with a USB cable that is supposed to be attached to your PC. Hard to do on the road. I'm seeing some really inexpensive USB chargers that pull into an AC outlet. Perfect for the Charging Station.

Have bought a couple on eBay for less than $4.00. The work fine

Do a search for USB Power Supply. I have seen them as low as $1.00. But then the shipping is a killer of course.

Have bought a couple on eBay for less than $4.00. The work fine

Do a search for USB Power Supply. I have seen them as low as $1.00. But then the shipping is a killer of course.

Yes, on small items the shipping seems high. Some places will charge the same amount per piece so you don't get a better deal by buying several, however some (like Buy.com and TigerDirect.com) seem to charge by weight (plus a minimum) so you can get several small/light items for only slightly more freight than one. Hodag - PM me and we can discuss getting you some of these, if you'd like.

Definitely going... I don't care what the nay-sayers have to say about Wyoming, it's not always where you are that makes for an interesting time! If I'm not working as a vendor, I'll volunteer for something. If I'm working... well... I'll be working... ;)

Crazy

Let's see:

3000 miles round trip at 45 miles per gallon means $200 round trip for gas...
$220 for cheap motel for 4 nights means $880 for rally motel
$100 for normal motel to and from
$450 for food for the duration for wife and I
$200 for rally fees and misc junk

So, about $1850 for a 4 day rally not including tires, oil, wear and tear.....

yeah, right...... I can attend 20 local rallys for that kind of money and not feel like I am being ripped off

NO, WE WILL NOT BE ATTENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scratch

We will be there. I like Rapid_Roy's list. Being from TOTOLand we are always close to the MOA Rally. We can never get long distance, we are just down the road so I don't see to long of a ride. Look for us in a Go-fer cart.

im attending,this will be my first bmw rally.im a new member an proud owner of my little K (still working on it).I own other bikes then bmw and attend other motorcycle rallys and i did not like it.I hope the i will meet nice people and make new friends.my friend coming from austria for few weeks so i hope the non members are welcome.see you all there,martin:thumb

:nono It should be a rule to attend any MOA National that is within a days ride. It's only 6 hours or so for me. Wouldn't miss it for the world. I'm still kicking myself for not going to the National when it was held in Durango, CO in 1994?:banghead

Thanks Osc! now I feel far less bad for clicking on the Not Attending.

West Bend was completely awesome, and Lima in 2005 was pretty great. I only missed Vermont in 2006 due to mechanical failure enroute (spent the weekend in Toronto so it was not a Total Loss).

So I've been thinking I would just go to all of them from here on out. But Gillette is a two day ride from Chicago. It is just too far.

I love Wyoming and would go in a heartbeat if I could get more vacation days off, but alas, I can't blow that much of my time-off wad for one event.

(Although as a flat-lander it would be much more attractive to me if the rally was actually IN the mountains.)

I also love the camping at the rallies, so the inflated motel rate issue is not a problem for me.

08 Rally

I was in;) and now I'm not ,my vacation was cancelled for the time needed to attend. Still hoping and crying to get it reinstated:blah

I hope to attend. I'm still in debate over hoteling it or camping. The cost of hotel rooms are steering me towards camping because it will be cheaper. Also, I hope to ride out with a couple other riders from the Maryland area. This will be my first long distance trip of this caliber and I'm excited about it. It will also be a birthday present to myself.:newtoy

Back