• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Brake Failure R1200RT

D

dlnoss

I have a problem with my R1200RT.

It has less than 9000 miles on it, I bought it with 7500 miles on it.

For a while, the brake failure light would come on only sometimes when I would come to a stop. I could clear it by turning the key off then back on. It happened more and more often and, on the last ride, I couldn't get it to clear. The 'brake failure' light blinks about once per second.

The fluid levels are okay.

Does anyone have some suggestions for something I could look at or try? The nearest dealer isn't very near so I would like to avoid taking it in if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
-David

First thought is to check the ABS sensor wire on the front wheel, left fork. It's easy for that wire to come loose from it's retainer, and if so it will rub on the brake disc.

The wires going to the front sensor were rubbing on the brake disc. I soldered them back together but still have the problem. The manual says there are no fuses. I thought maybe the wires had shorted and blown a fuse. I'm goping to look again and see if maybe the wire damage was further up than what I fixed.

Thanks
-David

David - Pauls response is right on.. the dealer should be taking care of this for you.

You likely have the servo-assisted brakes - with these - the level in the visible fluid reserviors may appear fine - but these aren't going to reflect brake pad wear. There is a seperate set of reservoirs for the wheel circuits.

If the wire wore through - I'd have the dealer replace the sensor.. and let them deal with the problem.

I will take it to a dealer. Wish there was still a dealer in Tulsa. Hopefully they will replace the sensor under warranty since I hacked away on the wire. :)

Thanks for the help. I thought I had it whipped when I saw the messed up wire.

-David

I will take it to a dealer. Wish there was still a dealer in Tulsa. Hopefully they will replace the sensor under warranty since I hacked away on the wire. :)

Thanks for the help. I thought I had it whipped when I saw the messed up wire.

-David

On my '05, there was a recall (# 06V-164) on the Sensor Cable Routing, which addressed the "banjo bolt w/restrictor" part #34327702422 and the ABS sensor cable hitting the brake disk.

Just looked at the recall notice and it says that it affects certain 06 models also.

Recall Campain No. 06V-134 .....mention it to your dealer.

Bill K.
Foster,RI
05R1200RT
05 Vstrom

Rear Brake switch

I had about 10k miles on my 2005 R1200RT when I had brake failure lights. I still had residual brakes. My problem was the rear brake switch had become slightly loose and was permanently on. Having the brake on during initial startup caused the failure. The dealer realigned the switch in the housing and all ok since.

Dick St. Charles IL

Brake Failure

It is likely that the wiring problem set a error in the computer that can only be reset with the Dealers diagnostic box. You may have fixed the problem, but the error would still be there until electronically reset.

Jim Davidson
Lubbock, Texas

I got it back from the dealer today. They replaced the sensor/cable but it wasn't a warranty or recall item so it cost about $300 and I had the 6000 mile service done (another $320). The 6000 service had supposedly been done but I didn't have any documentation for it so I had them do it for the record. Whoever said "the only thing cheap on a BMW is the rider" was right but I really like it.

While it was in the shop I rode a Sportster 1200 about 60 miles. Sure was nice getting back on the RT.

Thanks again for the help.

-David

I got it back from the dealer today. They replaced the sensor/cable but it wasn't a warranty or recall item so it cost about $300 and I had the 6000 mile service done (another $320). The 6000 service had supposedly been done but I didn't have any documentation for it so I had them do it for the record. Whoever said "the only thing cheap on a BMW is the rider" was right but I really like it.

While it was in the shop I rode a Sportster 1200 about 60 miles. Sure was nice getting back on the RT.

Thanks again for the help.

-David
Hi David
A friend of mine here in ice-cold Scandinavia Denmark had the same problem. It was caused by too little voltage on the battery. He bought himself a special charger he plug into the bike when leaving it on the centerstand in the carport and has not have the problem since
JanDane

I don't understand why the repair wasn't under warranty. Was it because you attempted the repair your self? I would absolutely be flipping out if they gave me a $300 dollar bill for the repair!

I don't know why it wasn't covered. I bought it used, and the dealership where I bought it is sending me a check for what it 'should' have cost according to what they would have charged. The reason is that he thinks that maybe their service tech didn't make sure the cable was routed correctly after replacing the tires. (I bought new tires when I bought the bike.)

I would have taken it back to them for the service but they are over three hours away compared to one hour. Riding three hours wouldn't have been bad (of course) but two six hour round trips with two vehicles wasn't very appealing.

I think it's real decent of him to do what he's doing, particularly since I took it somewhere else to get it worked on.

This was my first service experience with a BMW so I didn't know what to expect.

What should the routine 6000 mile service cost?

-David

What should the routine 6000 mile service cost?-David

Glad you are getting compensated for the brake problem.

The 6,000 mile service costs me $310 out here in the land of $90/hr dealer labor.

Your next service at 12,000 miles will probably be closer to $500 as it is more extensive. Also, you may want to consider changing the final drive fluid at 12,000 (ca. $90) as this is now recommended by BMW at 600 on the 2007~08 models.
Tom

Hey. I have an '07 RT and I had the same problem within 25 miles of leaving the dealership. It was a Saturday afternoon and the shop had just closed. I got the owner's home number and he called in a tech on Sunday (they were open for sales but not for service) as I was 1000 miles from home and couldn't wait another day. They actually pulled the wire from another bike on the floor and had me going in a few hours. They even paid for my hotel room. If you are ever in Ft. Myers Florida and need a bike or service, they are the best.

Back