• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ANARCHY Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/03/07

R

RandallIsland

Our photo assignments keep rolling along. People are having fun; we're seeing some great photography!

Because anarchy is a bummer, we humbly offer these simple rules:

• Photos must be shot this weekend: Fri, Sat, or Sun.
  • You must provide the EXIF information if asked (we'll help you, if you'd like to know how to get it).
  • No photoshop alteration (we're looking to improve your skills with your camera, not software).
  • Your photograph must adhere to the theme, which will be described below.
    [*]Post only one photo per post, so that commentary can be easily provided for that photo.
  • Post your photos in this thread only. Do not start a thread in reply to this assignment. Please post your photos no later than next Wednesday.
  • And, the most important rule: have fun! We're looking to spread the joy that many of us derive from taking pictures, particularly ones that tell a story of some kind.

And in the spirit of great fun and fabulous photography, if you wish to post some excess pictures that you just couldn't seem to rein in from your trigger happy fingertips, why don't you post them here so we all can see your myriad of variances on this week's exciting new pure and simple theme...

Hey, Great idea.

I have been a little trigger happy lately...

I wished I had this thread last week, just for myself, and my open-wide portfolio!

This is a good idea, RI, thanks. Apparently that Tanqueray is some kind of brain fertilizer.

People can post more than one photo in the Photo Assignment, but we are asking that you limit it to one photo per post. Try to choose the one or three that you're really proud of or want feedback on.

Got several more that you just can't stand to die a slow death in a folder on your computer? Post them here! I'm sure there'll be no shortage of feedback and suggestions.

Have I got this right? Here's to you. . . . *clink*

:thumb

My friend Brad and I changed the final drive oil and installed a new rear tire on my GSA yesterday. He's been in a big polishing mode lately, so he wanted to give my exhaust pipes the once over. Only happy to oblige, "Knock yourself out," I said.

216707176-L.jpg

Brad polishing in his garage. This photo is backlit--the meter is fooled by the bright light eminating from the background.

216707520-L.jpg

Here's the same shot, same lighting, only this time I activated the camera's built-in flash which does an admirable job of bringing the subject out of the shadows.

216707853-L.jpg

This is kind of a fun shot. The flash fires at an extrodinarily high speed, somewhere in the vicinity of 1/10,000 of a second; however, the exif reveals that the shutter is only firing at 1/60th. As a result, the wheel does show slight motion blur, but because the flash is the primary light source in this photo, it does an admirable job of freezing the buffing wheel which is spinning at God-only-knows how many RPMs.

Check out these before-and-afters:

216709087-L.jpg
216710445-L.jpg

Whole polishing process took fewer than 30 minutes. These aluminum pipes now look like they're chrome. Brad says an occasional hand touch-up will keep this looking bright and shiny.

My friend Brad and I changed the final drive oil and installed a new rear tire on my GSA yesterday. He's been in a big polishing mode lately, so he wanted to give my exhaust pipes the once over. Only happy to oblige, "Knock yourself out," I said.

216707176-L.jpg

Brad polishing in his garage. This photo is backlit--the meter is fooled by the bright light eminating from the background.

216707520-L.jpg

Here's the same shot, same lighting, only this time I activated the camera's built-in flash which does an admirable job of bringing the subject out of the shadows.

216707853-L.jpg

This is kind of a fun shot. The flash fires at an extrodinarily high speed, somewhere in the vicinity of 1/10,000 of a second; however, the exif reveals that the shutter is only firing at 1/60th. As a result, the wheel does show slight motion blur, but because the flash is the primary light source in this photo, it does an admirable job of freezing the buffing wheel which is spinning at God-only-knows how many RPMs.

216709087-L.jpg
216710445-L.jpg

Whole polishing process took fewer than 30 minutes. These aluminum pipes now look like they're chrome. Brad says an occasional hand touch-up will keep this looking bright and shiny.

You just had to put the bug in my head of polishing my pipes. You just had to do it. :)

Regards,

Randy Kasal

The Erastus Corning Tower

DSC01257.JPG

Last edited:

216709087-L.jpg
216710445-L.jpg

They do look really great! I like mine blue but shiny.

They do look really great! I like mine blue but shiny.

I kind of like the bluing, too. My RT's pipes were a nice shade of blue. The pipes on my GS just turned brown and stayed that way. I like the new shiny ones much better.

I kind of like the bluing, too. My RT's pipes were a nice shade of blue. The pipes on my GS just turned brown and stayed that way. I like the new shiny ones much better.

Indubitably! :thumb

Just a pure and simple ride?

ItÔÇÖs interesting how small the motorcycle and rider appear in perspective with the trees and the road.

I always feel larger than life while cruising through countryside like this

My son Sean was playing in his jazz/funk band tonight. 1932 Lady Conn tenor sax and an EWI (electronic wind instrument). Still experimenting with my new camera and look forward to better days. However, here are a few shots which, to me, are anarchistic. I was trying not to use a flash.

SeanPlay003.jpg

SeanPlay001.jpg

and now things were moving a bit fast .... still like the abstract nature of it though

SeanPlay008.jpg

oh well, next week ..... -Bob

SeanPlay008.jpg

I really love this last one. It's the mood of pure and simple music making, man!
Like totally.

I know shots under those conditions are tough, but were it a really clearly blurred shot, it could really work, ya know?

I wonder if the pros have any tips 'bout that? :lurk

SeanPlay008.jpg

I really love this last one. It's the mood of pure and simple music making, man!
Like totally.

I know shots under those conditions are tough, but were it a really clearly blurred shot, it could really work, ya know?

I wonder if the pros have any tips 'bout that? :lurk

I like where youÔÇÖre going with the photos of your son. If I could suggest just a couple of things: first, get closer to your subject and have one person or instrument as ÔÇ£theÔÇØ center of interest. Second, try shooting from either side of the stage so that the stage lights (if they are front lit) will give more dimension to the subject. Practice sessions are probably the best time to make shots like this, just bring with a couple of garage work lights and clamp them to what ever is handy and donÔÇÖt be shy about ÔÇ£playingÔÇØ with the lights. Hope that helps.

Here are a couple of examples I dug out of my digital archive. These were shot for a bandÔÇÖs poster or rather a series of posters; the goal was to make the viewer feel the emotion, intensity and artistry of the music. Now the shots are used as ÔÇ£fridge artÔÇØ thatÔÇÖs the reason for the border and title.

Attachments

• MusicMagnets.jpg
    MusicMagnets.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 96
I don't mind a blurred photo. I think they can add to the mood.

Here's a couple I've taken that have come out "wrong", but I still like.

142052451-L.jpg

142056503-L.jpg

Back