• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/03/07

Wanted to share this one fro ma couple of weeks ago to demostrate the Pure and Simple elegance of the Elements of the earth at play with organizisms that walk through them.. Bison Tracks: Yellowstone.

bufalloprints.jpg

Last edited:
Rainwater collection in the Chihuahuan Desert!

Paul, that's awesome. I'm a desert rat, and people don't believe me when I tell them the desert is a far more fragile environment that a woodland environment.

Roger.....in the Sonoran Desert.

Wanted to share this one fro ma couple of weeks ago to demostrate the Pure and Simple elegance of the Elements of the earth at play with organizisms that walk through them.. Bison Tracks: Yellowstone.

Outback,

You come across as a rather spontaneous or even impulsive person. (No offence meant - I would put myself into that category as well, but perhaps not to such and extent.)

When I take a photograph, itÔÇÖs usually because I can see the desired end result, and I want to capture that ÔÇ£visionÔÇØ either for the ÔÇ£pure and simpleÔÇØ gratification of having created something tangible from my inspiration, or to show/give it to others.

Often I will take 3-4 shots (or 200 shots) of the same subject in hopes that one will reflect what I want. While there are occasions where I will choose a second or third shot, I usually find the first one to be the most inspired; the rest can often seem like cheap imitations.

Barring any ÔÇ£finishingÔÇØ like cropping, color compensation, or pushing the exposure, do you find your first picture to be your best, or do you like to go back and work on it to get what you want?

-Alex

A

Riding in SE OH to take pictures of potential "bonus locations" for LD rally to send to a friend. Near Dexter City, OH is a memorial to Johnny Appleseed. I took various shots to identify and verify the memorial. One shot I took was the wording at the base of the memorial, in case the rally master wanted to have an answer the question type bonus.

After I took the photo I started to walk away, and "schazamm..." The photo is in no way artistic. It is just a message to immortalize someone and tell about their life...that (to me) fit perfectly into the theme.

What a great weekend to be out riding...a little nippy (low 30's) when I stopped for this photo...but toured a lot of fun "tourist" type places, rode some great roads, and just enjoyed life.

DSC01104.jpg

Addenum

With my great typing and computer skills...I sent the photo before I was ready.

The title was to be A Good Deed with Seed.

The location of the monument is:
N 39 38.969
W 081 28.388

The submitter is

John F
Cincinnati, OH

p.s. A shot of the entire site with, of course, Apple trees in the back.

DSC01106.jpg

live in color, play in black and white

Attachments

• 217170852-M.jpg
    217170852-M.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 160
Outback,

You come across as a rather spontaneous or even impulsive person. (No offence meant - I would put myself into that category as well, but perhaps not to such and extent.)

When I take a photograph, itÔÇÖs usually because I can see the desired end result, and I want to capture that ÔÇ£visionÔÇØ either for the ÔÇ£pure and simpleÔÇØ gratification of having created something tangible from my inspiration, or to show/give it to others.

Often I will take 3-4 shots (or 200 shots) of the same subject in hopes that one will reflect what I want. While there are occasions where I will choose a second or third shot, I usually find the first one to be the most inspired; the rest can often seem like cheap imitations.

Barring any ÔÇ£finishingÔÇØ like cropping, color compensation, or pushing the exposure, do you find your first picture to be your best, or do you like to go back and work on it to get what you want?

-Alex

It all depends on the image... i print all BW by hand. All color is inported Digitally from film or from digital camera... i do normally the minimum corrections unless i am blending multiple images into an panorama then there is a bit more color corrections needed. There is a principal in photo that goes once you find the image you want then start taking photo of it... i will sometime only have time for one quick shot sometimes i have time to really see what i can get from the image just with the camera. A prof. at Brookes Inst of Photo. (happens to be my father) says to put the camera in to manual mode and shot a half stop up and down from the proper light meter reading to make sure you get the right exposure. The Hoover Dam bw image is one negative out of about 4-5. the only issue i have with digital caputre is that you loose info when blowing up the image... i can take a 35mm neg and scan it at 4000dpi to make a bit print... you will get graininess but you will still see the image... thing of Suret pointalism painting effect... the digital it gets pixelated so there is an limit to enlargement due to the amount of Mega-pixels you capture.. my D70 is a 6mp... can go up to 16x20 image... maybe 20-30 with how i crop...

out about 600 BW and 400 color negs from my Australia riding in 2001 i have 1 image that made it into two museum collections and about 20 maybe 30 images that are portfolio quality... so there is something about finding the higher quality out of the quantity but you still have to train your eye (minds eye) to see the image and think about how you wish it to be seen when it is done. Most artist amature or pro dont do this. for example, when i am in my ceramics studio... i make a piece for what glaze and where in my wood kiln it will go most likely... i think about the finished item before it leave the wheel or work bench... most ceramist i know first make the piece then think about what glaze or firing effect they want... (this is how acedamia instutions teach art)... i find that once i am in photo taking mode i take a lot of picts... have gone for months with out taking the camera out for even a touristy shot of something... then i take a walk up my creek and spend 2 hrs on one ice fall.. its all in the training of you inner aesthetic eye... and knowing most of the time you will spend more energy the higher level of refinement of an image to get it right where you want it even if you do absolutely not correctoins... like the Bison hoof prints in the geyser minerals image above... i spent 20 minutes just figuring out what part i wanted to capture... at least my wife is the same and went off shooting some morning gesyer mist trying to foto a geyser that did not want to be photoed :laugh

Last edited:
My son Sean plays a 1932 Lady Conn Tenor Sax in a Jazz/Funk band. While I don't think the sax is 'simple' he makes it sound simple. I will post my odd shots over at Anarchy but for now this is the best I could get from my new camera. I wanted this to be so much better but couldn't. When he plays it really is pure and simple joy. Anyway, the idea is.....

SeanPlay005.jpg

-Bob

Last edited:
ok, here's one from this past friday, early AM beach shot

Mexican Still Life 1

mexican-still-life.jpg

RM

Primitive Mechanism

217433040-L.jpg

Inspired by some of the product-style photography I've seen this week, I thought I'd have a go at it myself. I'm underwhelmed, but there it is. Nothing like a deadline to bring out the heights of mediocrity.

217433040-L.jpg

Inspired by some of the product-style photography I've seen this week, I thought I'd have a go at it myself. I'm underwhelmed, but there it is. Nothing like a deadline to bring out the heights of mediocrity.
Too funny about the pic I posted, and I was saying the very same thing to myself about deadlines and mediocrity! :)

I like your pic BTW - much better 'product photography' than I produced......

Back