Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/03/07

Speaking of whom, I think RR was being a little hard on himself with this week's submission. This is a nicely composed, well-exposed shot. It does fit the theme and is not without visual interest. What's not to like? What does grab my attention in this shot is the vine creeping up the wall--this makes for a much more specific subject. Suppose Roy had decided to move in just a bit closer and perhpas compose the shot vertically, for something like this:

It's very easy for me to make a suggestion like this after the fact, and of course I accomplished this by breaking the rules. But it helps to notice the details about a scene that grabs your attention. Sure, it's interesting, but what specifically is interesting about it? Sometimes honing in on a detail reveals a more powerful image.

Oh, by the way, 1,000 bonus points for the new avatar. Very nice.

Thank you. I knew there was a picture in there, I wasn't happy with why I couldn't find it. There was something about that when I looked at it, and I should have taken more shots. If I had zoomed in and messed with some settings, it might have shown up better. I have learned to not rush. You have also shown me the eye is the best tool, my only drawback is mine is connected to my brain.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

rocketman
    Thanks for another great review, I love reading your comments as with each one I am introduced to something new, be it an idea or some aspect or detail of a photograph I would have overwise overlooked.

Oh, and to set the facts straight, I did actually take the beer can Photo on Friday 11/02 so it was within the time frame, but it is equally true that I didn't take it for this Assignment as I hadn't bothered even thinking about the internet or loging in (Gee, I wonder why??) so didn't even knowwhat the assignment was, but that shot seemed to fit and I wanted to keep my hand in!

When I took that I was actually thinking about the previous assignment and during my morinings on the beach before the crowds showed up I had the long lens with me as I was trying to capture some birds shots, it seemed like the perfect time to try some Wide Open close depth-of-field shots. (in between these ) Sandy beaches shot close to ground level are always fun esp. when the sun is still low.

RM

Sl??*inte mhath!
    Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post

Sonnata joins us this week with a stark image. I like the way this is composed, with the flag poles arrananged in an ascending order. I hate to see a photo of a flag unfurled, but we can't control the wind, can we? The sky in this picture is so dark and so blue. I'm pretty certain a poloraizing filter was used. Perhaps too much of a good thing? I know that I've shot some skies that I thought were too blue. I wonder if a different composition might have greater visual interest, but with a subject so high and inaccessible, I don't know what you might have done differently.

25 bonus points for teaching me the word finial and I agree that one being out of kilter does add a point of visual interest.
    Actually, only a UV filter was used on a Canon 10D.
    ISO Speed 400
    Shutter 1/250
    Aperture f/22
    Focal length 28.0 mm
    Metering mode:Average.

Thanks for all the comments. I'm learning a lot. Mostly how formidable our members are with a camera.

While I'm always impressed by the quality of photos people submit, Bluestune's leaf image really appeals to me as well. I especially like the colors as well as the shadow under the leaf & the detail on the edges of the leaf.

Tom, thanks for the kind words.

The mill shot was also park the bike, climb down the ditch set up the shot, take 9 exposures, climb on the bike and leave. Total time 5 minutes max.

I guess I should clarify myself on stating I did not do much setup on the photos. The real set up was choosing Sunday weather report, and riding in early light rain and cool with a clear skies in the afternoon. Saturday was a very bright sunny late Fall day, which I used to detail the mud off the airhead GS. Moral of the story, cloudy over cast day is the only day to photograph that mill with my point and shot camera.

You were wondering were the weekly motorcycle pictures were? Well I did not want to post to many pictures so I cut back on the number of post. I do not expect you to review these pictures.

Remember hit F11 on your keyboard

Here is a fun snapshot. When I showed Barb the shot, see mumbled something about simple.

A simple reflection shot

Depression era McCormick Deering tractor ran on kerosene and had a small gasoline tank for simple starting

A simple and pure Wisconsin farm

Simple Rule of three: Bike, dog and a barn

ian408

Tilt Shift

Someone asked about Tilt-shift lenses.

You can use a tilt shift in two different ways. Architectural control is just one way. With a
    Canon TS, you can rotate the mount 90 degrees to make really nice 2 or 3 shot panorama
    shot without moving the camera.

Tilt Shift for Landscapes is becoming quite the thing. I'm just starting to get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
    Someone asked about Tilt-shift lenses.

With a Canon TS, you can rotate the mount 90 degrees to make really nice 2 or 3 shot panorama shot without moving the camera.

Tilt Shift for Landscapes is becoming quite the thing. I'm just starting to get into it.
    You can do the same panorama technique with any shift lens, tilt or not, whether made by Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Pentax, Schneider, or Olympus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspec...orrection_lens
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2015 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Classic parallax problem. The old bellows lens 4x5s often had the parallel lens motion feature for parallax correction. Absolutely a godsend for professional architectural photographers. Clients hate pointy buildings that aren't pointy.
    Nikon made a shift lens. Or two. Seems like Nikon or Canon made a shift/tilt bellows that you could mount a lens on or maybe it came with a 28PC or some such. Is there some problem with vignetting with shifting the new lenses and would an older Nikon lens for example with the 35mm format covering area be a better choice? Wonder if that stuff is still around somewhere...and unappreciated.

And then there was the 8 x 10 Deardorff. I hate it when I remember stuff that far back.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

ian408
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    You can do the same panorama technique with any shift lens, tilt or not, whether made by Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Pentax, Schneider, or Olympus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspec...orrection_lens
    Thanks Jeff.

I can only speak to the Canon because that's what I have and that's the modification
    I made to mine.

rocketman
    Well, since we've morphed into reflection shots ..

here's one from this summer's local BMW Square route Rally

I played around with it a bit see if you tell whether its right side up or not ?

its kinda obvious whats going on once you look closely but still fun (least I had fun doing it!)

RM

rocketman

And Speaking of Reflections..

This pic taken by Beemerchef on his epic ride really had me going for a while till I figured out what was going on with it. Such a simple solution and I thought it very imaginative!

RM